PDA

View Full Version : Favorite firecracker

dchambers490
12-12-2022, 08:16 AM
If you could only pick one firecracker what would be your favorite?

RalphieJ
12-12-2022, 12:43 PM
Cherry bombs.

dchambers490
12-12-2022, 07:27 PM
Cherry bombs.

Hard to argue with that RalphieJ! Unfortunately they are an extremely hard to find and an expensive vintage item unless you roll your own!

FinnAmerican
12-15-2022, 02:30 PM
Silver Salute by Big Fireworks

nightstalker
12-17-2022, 10:23 PM
Cherry bomb/ M80

halk
02-04-2023, 03:19 PM
pre-1950 Zebras, the King of Crackers. Tube and round salutes are merely crude noisemakers.

RalphieJ
02-07-2023, 02:42 PM
pre-1950 Zebras, the King of Crackers. Tube and round salutes are merely crude noisemakers.

Halk....a little harsh, don't you think? LOL. The globe salute, aka "cherry bomb" was an ingenious device, protected by U.S, patents, invented by an Italian pyro master. Although difficult to duplicate by the regular Joe, for a pyro plant with some simple equipment it was a cost-effective way to manufacture, as hundreds at a time would be coated, then subsequently drilled for fuse insertion. Because of the hard coating they were highly stable, protected from damage and humidity. If properly stored "high and dry", original cherry bombs from the '60's still fire with full detonation. Although I've never seen them, another patented version contains a colored star, adding a surprise nighttime revelation. What 12 year-old didn't dream about procuring a half-gross box of cherry bombs to celebrate the Fourth? I'm 76 and I still have dreams about them.

FinnAmerican
02-18-2023, 07:32 PM
My Favorite firecracker isn't a traditional one with a fuse. It would have to be a "Fuseless Firecracker" more specifically "Mega Snaps" by Warrior Fireworks. Claims right on the box to be the "Biggest". Much louder than the average adult Red Cracker Snaps. Only have two boxes (15 crackers per box) left....I only have one known source for them right now and they sell them for $4.99! a single box.

thomask280
02-19-2023, 11:45 AM
My Favorite firecracker isn't a traditional one with a fuse. It would have to be a "Fuseless Firecracker" more specifically "Mega Snaps" by Warrior Fireworks. Claims right on the box to be the "Biggest". Much louder than the average adult Red Cracker Snaps. Only have two boxes (15 crackers per box) left....I only have one known source for them right now and they sell them for $4.99! a single box.

I bought a dozen boxes from "Big Boy Fireworks" but the shipping is almost as much as the items. I am searching for a wholesale supplier but I haven't found anyone yet. Garrett Fireworks had some but now were out of stock. Let me know if you find any other suppliers and I'll do the same.

wingman
02-19-2023, 02:51 PM

Along the thread of vintage crackers, I think if it were 1 1/2" crackers, I'd definitely take class 2 Monkeys. For their size, they were king of the standard 1.5 inchers.

wingman
03-04-2023, 03:20 PM
Actually I should have clarified: Class 3 Monkeys were king of the 1.5 inchers. A decibel test was performed on an extensive range of vintage crackers by a fellow enthusiast, and it was determined that the Class 3 Monkeys were by far the loudest vintage cracker for their size.

dchambers490
05-03-2023, 05:52 PM
Those Monkies are brutal for their size! I had a pack I couldn't stop lighting. I have had as much fun with class 3 and 4 zebras, anchors, and camels. I admit I haven't went scientific and measured them but my ears tell me they are far superior to anything made today in 1.5 inch crackers. I have some Macau made class 5 black cat crackers that a dam close to the older crackers. I think made just before powder limits were imposed. Li & Fung made quality crackers back in the day that's for sure Wingman!

an-eighties-kid
03-10-2024, 04:45 PM
not these crackers from the 80s right? but real cherry bombs? These are actually pretty decent and give me cotton ear at 7-8 feet away...

RalphieJ
03-12-2024, 10:49 AM
not these crackers from the 80s right? but real cherry bombs? These are actually pretty decent and give me cotton ear at 7-8 feet away...

Those same crackers (D.O.T. Class C, crimped ends) were also labeled as Thunder Bomb, with slightly different colors in the label. The background was royal blue instead of black. I had purchased 2 cases of 40/16's for resale, but wound up keeping a case for myself. And yes, they are hard hitters.

halk
03-18-2024, 01:54 PM
I'd like a few boxes of 14" from Butler Brothers.

wingman
03-19-2024, 12:48 AM
Right?!! Talk about cannon fire! I think one of those may have been what my grandpa was referring to when he blew up the family outhouse as a kid in the 20s.

RalphieJ
03-19-2024, 10:22 AM
I'd like a few boxes of 14" from Butler Brothers.

Do you think they were black powder?

wingman
03-19-2024, 09:32 PM
Do you think they were black powder?

Most likely. A good black powder with proper confinement can do heckuva lot of damage.

halk
03-24-2024, 03:23 PM
Nope. Monster chlorate-based salutes were common well before Hitt invented flashpowder right after WWI. Cannon crackers were made for toy cannons. Pistol crackers were made for toy pistole.
Just in common use now for long firecrackers and salutes.

RalphieJ
04-25-2024, 12:00 PM
Does anyone recall from the '60's a two-inch red salute, convolute-wound, interior crimps like a shotgun shell, green visco, called 'Joker Brand'. Sold at South of the Border in Dillon, SC.