PDA

View Full Version : Pyro Musical Photography Tips?

PyroWalker
10-29-2022, 01:58 PM
I am putting on a Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night Pyro Musical in a week! My July show was amazing, but the video was so disappointing! I know my IOS settings were way too low, but we also had terrible weather conditions (ZERO wind and high humidity). The smoke was too much by the end of the show, that my finale is completely obscured.
So, I am looking for any tips or help before next week!
I use a Cannon T6i Digital Camera with a high quality Fisheye lens.

Arles
10-31-2022, 03:48 PM
I am putting on a Guy Fawkes/Bonfire Night Pyro Musical in a week! My July show was amazing, but the video was so disappointing! I know my IOS settings were way too low, but we also had terrible weather conditions (ZERO wind and high humidity). The smoke was too much by the end of the show, that my finale is completely obscured.
So, I am looking for any tips or help before next week!
I use a Cannon T6i Digital Camera with a high quality Fisheye lens.

This is probably blasphemy for a photographer, but I just let my iPhone (12 pro) figure it out. I use the .5 lens to capture a wider area. I think it does a more than adequate job. Youtube has downgraded the resolution, but the original is very clear.

https://youtu.be/NIphmRDlv4A

I got smoked out last New Years. I've always wondered if some powerful fans near the launch site blowing away from the crowd would help at all.

PyroWalker
11-01-2022, 09:09 AM
This is probably blasphemy for a photographer, but I just let my iPhone (12 pro) figure it out. I use the .5 lens to capture a wider area. I think it does a more than adequate job. Youtube has downgraded the resolution, but the original is very clear.

https://youtu.be/NIphmRDlv4A

I got smoked out last New Years. I've always wondered if some powerful fans near the launch site blowing away from the crowd would help at all.
My husband and I have had several discussions about using the giant fans that move air in the barn attics to blow smoke. I still think it is a crazy idea, but hey.... maybe crazy enough to actually work? I already run 2 generators to run my flame machines and my speakers. I could easily add 2 60inch fans to push the smoke at least from the lift charges. It would be a balance to set them to just move the smoke and not distort the angles or blow the effects/debris.

Mattp
11-07-2022, 07:15 PM
HA!!! I too have had that thought after 2 years of smoke issues ,,,as crazy as it sounds,, I do think those big fans could help!! And! Me personally ,, I use a tripod with an iPhone 12 Pro ,,, hold the screen for a second so the auto focus is off , zoom out to try to get the full sky and ground ,,, last 2 years has worked pretty well

Engineer Cat
11-08-2022, 01:11 AM
HA!!! I too have had that thought after 2 years of smoke issues ,,,as crazy as it sounds,, I do think those big fans could help!! And! Me personally ,, I use a tripod with an iPhone 12 Pro ,,, hold the screen for a second so the auto focus is off , zoom out to try to get the full sky and ground ,,, last 2 years has worked pretty well

I have 2 36 inch fans. If you want to give it a whirl you are more than welcomed to borrow them for your next shoot.

Mattp
11-10-2022, 06:49 AM
I have 2 36 inch fans. If you want to give it a whirl you are more than welcomed to borrow them for your next shoot.

Hahaha,,, thanks for the offer,,, but I’m talking about those massive industrial ones ,,(which my brother has a few of) , that really move a lot of air,,, on one those years when the air is so thick the smoke just sits there,,, I really think they could do something ,,, but at the same time I think the idea is so nutty,, I would probably never do it