PDA

View Full Version : Wife Needs Power - Some Cobra Gear Must Go

PyroFL
10-16-2022, 12:08 PM
After losing power for almost 2 weeks here in Florida and running our generator 24-7 I have been told "You need to fix this now"

That said I am moving a few items to help offset the overall cost for me to install battery backup solar system to the house in the coming week.

If you're looking for Cobra Gear before the prices go up 10-15 percent in a few weeks here is what I have

1 - 72M v6.0.6 Yellow case with DMX
1 - 36M v6.0.6 Yellow case with DMX

Package set:

6 - Mini Slats with Cobra red hard metal case
6 - 10m D18 cables

3 50 single shot racks like BigTimePyro sales but I made them myself, there more heavy duty, they look the same but the ones I made have 10 more holders. There amazing, here is a video of Ed TXPYRO putting his together from a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VVXgdHCao&t=2s

If interested please let me know

PyroFL
10-16-2022, 01:00 PM
Above

When saying package I mean for the slats with cables but I would split up if someone needs that too.

Mattp
10-17-2022, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately I cannot afford any new equipment right now,, but really sorry to hear about your situation,, I’ve been there., I know it really sucks,, wish you the best of luck

PyroFL
10-18-2022, 07:33 AM
Thanks Mattp

We have our power back but Rachel isnt letting me off the hook on this one as I've been talking about doing this for years and I've been pushing it off, next year, next year ect. I believe/know the 2 weeks of filling the generator back-up every 14 hours is what pushed this. Me not being home most of the time didnt help either.

Luckily I can do all the work myself and have a friend I can buy wholesale from but its still a upfront cost I wasnt looking to spend. I can always just buy the gear again later next year.

Happy Wife Happy Life

Engineer Cat
10-18-2022, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mattp

We have our power back but Rachel isnt letting me off the hook on this one as I've been talking about doing this for years and I've been pushing it off, next year, next year ect. I believe/know the 2 weeks of filling the generator back-up every 14 hours is what pushed this. Me not being home most of the time didnt help either.

Luckily I can do all the work myself and have a friend I can buy wholesale from but its still a upfront cost I wasnt looking to spend. I can always just buy the gear again later next year.

Happy Wife Happy Life

10 Years ago when hurricane sandy hit Jersey we had no power for 9 days. Luckily I had a generator hard wired into my house so I had the entire house powered by it. I split off a couple of extensions cords to my two neighbors so they could power their refrigerators, charge phones and have a few lights light on. Filling the generator with gas became a problem cause there were gas shortages and we were only allowed to get gas on odd an even days depending on your licenses plate number. A lot of friends would come hang out and shower because they had no power either and but they would bring gas. My neighbors would get extra gas the days they were aloud. We managed to keep the thing running the full 9 days. Refilling the thing every 12 - 14 hours depending on usage was a big pain in the A but better than being in the dark for all that time.

Are you planning on supplementing battery with generator? I think the Tesla power wall would only powers the house for 12 - 14 hours. But I'm sure you already have done a ton of research. Curious as to what your plan is.

PyroFL
10-19-2022, 08:33 AM
The plan

Hybrid system for lack of better term.

Installing a 10.8kw system to start off with (can upgrade to 21.6) which has new Technology that can charge your batteries in less then 2 hours which will be hooked up to 1600w of solar, along with using my inverter generator to recharge the batteries if needed as a backup for backup if a storm takes the panels out.

Add my 60 gallons of fuel for the generator now I have 72 days of backup power with no solar.

This will allow me 10 breakers at 160 amps to hook up a automatic transfer switch which actually is a relay switch automatic transfer from EcoFlow.

Fortunately this install will help with us losing power ALL THE TIME for 20s to a few minutes that randomly happens for no reason and for those bad storms we get here in Florida.

This will also help offset our monthly electric bill.

I did look at the Tesla system and a full solar system and I found I needed something in the middle as a full Tesla system with solar was way out of budget.

So I am going with a company called EcoFlow.

Best part of there system is it can be backup or supplement for your home and you can pick it up and put it the trunk of your car/rv and take it with you on the road.

……

Side note … have you seen the prices of 10awg wire? I about had a heart attack yesterday

$158 per 500’ roll

Engineer Cat
10-20-2022, 09:01 PM
Interesting. Sounds like a well thought out plan. Not that I'm surprised. I do read your posts. ;)

All sorts of wire is crazy priced right now.

Mattp
10-21-2022, 06:01 AM
Yup,, actually Sandy was the catalyst for me going solar as well,, I don’t have any battery backups yet,, as the company had a pretty honest sales rep at the time who told me to wait until they become better and cheaper,, everything is crazy expensive right now,, by me that spool of 10awg wire is 250’ for the same price ,, good luck,, glad to hear your power has been restored.. so it’s not an emergency to get this done,, but I hear ya,, gotta keep the wife happy!!!

PyroFL
11-12-2022, 03:22 PM
Engineer Cat

Got ask to make it easy for a Pyro brother to install so thought I would post my design for you to check out. Backup for backup with a added backup. Just about done with my install and will start on his house in 2-3 weeks when he gets all his gear.

Take a extra look at the solar, parallel-series mix which is a little crazy but should work with the limited space I have.

PyroFL
11-13-2022, 09:38 AM
I will be listing my items on Cobra Facebook soon. Thought I would give it a try here first with people on the board I know here before listing to people I dont know.

Everything seems to move fast on Facebook Cobra page ... so last call

Engineer Cat
11-13-2022, 03:42 PM
Engineer Cat

Got ask to make it easy for a Pyro brother to install so thought I would post my design for you to check out. Backup for backup with a added backup. Just about done with my install and will start on his house in 2-3 weeks when he gets all his gear.

Take a extra look at the solar, parallel-series mix which is a little crazy but should work with the limited space I have.

Wow! that's a great schematic. Looks complicated but the more you look at it and follow things, it's really a pretty simple layout.

Well thought out!

PyroFL
01-20-2023, 05:07 PM
Forgot to post the items I was looking to sell have been sold