PDA

View Full Version : How it's made TV show. Firework shell

Engineer Cat
09-21-2022, 02:59 AM
I've always loved the how it's made shows. I'm sure you all do as well since we all want to know how everything works. I thought I've seen them all but I came across this tonight.

I put my comment below the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hatDxw8-GRM

There must be a lot of shrapnel coming down after those go off. I've seen plastic used to make some ball shells but not to make these.

The videos I watch of 1.3 product being made are always from paper shells. No plastics involved.

fatcat
09-21-2022, 09:51 PM
Very interesting, Thanks for posting

PyroJoeNEPA
09-22-2022, 01:31 PM
Plastic shell casings are very popular in Europe, especially in Italy and Spain, but the ones I have seen examples of are usually made into salutes. This is the first I have seen a double break shell using the plastic housings. Very interesting find. Thanks for posting.
I have some 3" & 4" plastic hemis but choose not to use them [as long as I have paper] because of the "fallout" issue. They are very fast to assemble, though because they do not require the traditional pasting & drying time.

hatsgoods
09-23-2022, 08:01 AM
what about him loading the live shell in the mortar inside at the end?

Salutecake
09-23-2022, 08:05 AM
Agreed PyroJoeNEPA! A few years back I had numerous consumer cakes using plastic, what a mess. At least with the paper, if you clean up or not, in a few weeks the paper remnants just disintegrate.

BMoore
09-23-2022, 09:01 AM
Agreed PyroJoeNEPA! A few years back I had numerous consumer cakes using plastic, what a mess. At least with the paper, if you clean up or not, in a few weeks the paper remnants just disintegrate.

Not just consumer. More and more 1.3 cakes seem to be moving to plastic inserts. Definitely not what you want to realize at clean up time. As previously stated, plastic European shells are relatively common. In my experience, the larger plastic shells are fairly self consuming and don't leave that much plastic fallout. Nevertheless, the idea of plastic remains vs. biodegradable paper never gives me a good feeling.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-23-2022, 10:16 AM
what about him loading the live shell in the mortar inside at the end?

Kelly, I believe that was done simply to demonstrate the launch tube for the finished shell. It was, after all. an "instructional" video. The average person does not know the shells are launched from a mortar tube.

displayfireworks1
09-23-2022, 02:06 PM
I did a pro display years back that had many plastic shells. When it came time to clean up it was a mess. Large plastic pieces were all over the place.

Birdman
09-23-2022, 05:41 PM
I avoid Saturn Missiles for this reason and whistling cakes as well.....especially in areas that need to be mowed.

hatsgoods
09-23-2022, 09:38 PM
Kelly, I believe that was done simply to demonstrate the launch tube for the finished shell. It was, after all. an "instructional" video. The average person does not know the shells are launched from a mortar tube.

true i never thought of that.

Delwely
01-29-2023, 05:16 PM
I've always loved the how it's made shows. I'm sure you all do as well since we all want to know how everything works. I thought I've seen them all but I came across this tonight.

I put my comment below the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hatDxw8-GRM

There must be a lot of shrapnel coming down after those go off. I've seen plastic used to make some ball shells but not to make these.

The videos I watch of 1.3 product being made are always from paper shells. No plastics involved.

This was my very first introduction to the concept of how fireworks were made quite a few years ago—hadn't even the slightest clue of what was going on up there during displays before I watched this.