PDA

View Full Version : The old nail board gets an upgrade.

Engineer Cat
08-30-2022, 06:51 PM
Besides some very unsafe practices from the crew,(take a drink every time you see something unsafe) the firing system stood out. It's pretty much a nail board setup with TS connectors and a button in between. At the 8 min mark he starts jumping around the cues on the control mod so there's some good views of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwZQdQOMAak

WithReport
08-30-2022, 07:39 PM
He has a few interesting videos.

As for the firing system it is more like a switch board with a TIR "Shoot" Button, which is interesting, but it would provide a level of protection from an unintended cue firing with a standard pin-board setup.

The patch cable has to be a single conductor banana plug. TS wouldn't make sense as he is checking continuity with a separate multimeter at the beginning - the black probe is on a common test ground on the panel and the red probe is in each of the banana panel jacks. If it was TS and actually providing power and ground, he would be getting false continuity checks.

Engineer Cat
08-30-2022, 10:49 PM
Ah nice catch. I thought at one point it might be a banana plug but wasn't sure.

Mattp
08-31-2022, 10:13 PM
The company I work for has some similar systems ,, that still get brought out in the busy season when their newer equipment is all out on shoots,, I forget the brand name.. but has the multi/continuity tester built in ,, one probe it built into the common and other probe goes to each cue,, then the same probe gets used to fire while pushing the button

Engineer Cat
09-01-2022, 01:57 AM
Interesting. It seams to work well.

What are you doing for the company you work for?

Mattp
09-01-2022, 06:55 PM
I’m a seasonal on call pyrotechnician,, setup, shoot, breakdown,, once I got to shoot it,, its a long day,, but nice to do a few shows here and there ,, and get the smell of smoke on someone else’s dime.. LOL ,,
Actually, I’m working a Labor Day show this weekend

Engineer Cat
09-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Nice. What town / state is that shoot in?