PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Mine Question

PyroWalker
08-06-2022, 12:43 PM
I am going to be adding some gasoline fuel mines to my show next year. I am going to start small, but wanted to get an idea of how far apart each mine should be and how far the mines should be spaced from pyro effects. I will be using the 4inch mines from C***gC* if that helps....

WithReport
08-06-2022, 03:18 PM
Here are two tests from years ago with 4" mines. The mortars are 22" tall, so they may be a bit more narrower, but it will give you some idea.

The stakes in the ground are every 3ft. This was my test to see what type of spacing would be needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ3ppkLmc-g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiptGngLKds

As for how close you can put product, it all depends on when it is fired and how it is protected. The heat is hot, but fast. So as long as you don't have fallout and fuel burning on the ground, you could get pretty close.

For example, I packed a 4" mine on a 2x4 board competition a few years ago - You'll see the gas mine at about the 50s mark on the next video (it is also shown in the after show photos at the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUwFfp37IEY

PyroWalker
08-06-2022, 05:18 PM
Here are two tests from years ago with 4" mines. The mortars are 22" tall, so they may be a bit more narrower, but it will give you some idea.

This is very helpful! It also tells me I am being FAR too conservative with my spacing in the field and could probably get away with a lot more than I am currently doing! Thank you so much!

WithReport
08-06-2022, 11:39 PM
@PyroWalker, glad it helps. I did those tests for just the same questions you have. I suspect the shorter mortars may spread a bit wider and may not go as high - depending on the powder burn rate. I also have water in the base covering the charge.

FWIW, here is another test I did this year - testing out some BP, but it was the same 4" wide - 22" high mortar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZPe4CuiFHs

Scotty Rockets
08-08-2022, 08:41 PM
6386 3 gallon pipes at 50' spacing between each. I did this at last years club shoot.

PyroWalker
08-09-2022, 01:27 PM
6386 3 gallon pipes at 50' spacing between each. I did this at last years club shoot.

Impressive! Is that 50feet apart?!? I believe that I am going to be using .25gallon pipes, so much smaller. I am thinking I can put them about 2-3ft apart and have the spacing look good. I have welding blankets to put under them, so hopefully that helps prevent fire spread.

Scotty Rockets
08-09-2022, 01:59 PM
Yes 50’ apart. I also don’t add water to mine.

Okimarine
08-10-2022, 08:56 PM
I am going to be adding some gasoline fuel mines to my show next year. I am going to start small, but wanted to get an idea of how far apart each mine should be and how far the mines should be spaced from pyro effects. I will be using the 4inch mines from C***gC* if that helps....

I just fired a couple new 10" wide, 24" deep mines in July that hold 7 gallons of fuel each (about a gallon of water in the bottom as well). I only had them set about 10' apart but probably could have safely gone down to 5'. The fallout is basically nonexistent if you cover the charge with water by an inch or two and have sufficient lift. This is assuming your charge is waterproof and your not using a liner in the mine. I ran out of time once and instead of water proofing the charge, I place a trashbag in the tube over the charge and filled with water and gas. The liner came back down and burned on the ground for a few minutes. I also cover the mines with aluminum foil for protection, make sure no sparks or low breaks gets to it. Good luck, they are a crowd pleaser.

topshelfpyro
08-10-2022, 10:33 PM
Haven't used the 4" much, on the 6" that Gary Steele makes (craigco sells) 15' between them will get you a nice wall of fire. You can put them together to get larger mines since it will look like a single larger mine going off.

PyroWalker
08-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Thank you for all the replies! I don't intend to set them off all at once, but will have 5-7 spaced out in my pyromusical. I don't want one to set off another, or any of my firework effects either.

WithReport
08-12-2022, 03:39 PM
.. I don't want one to set off another,....

Wrap foil over the tops and tape it down. There may be some debate to this, because sometimes the foil collects fuel and comes floating down while still burning.

PyroWalker
08-13-2022, 11:48 AM
Anyone know the thickness of the pipe? I am getting a local welder to make some for me.

Okimarine
08-13-2022, 12:30 PM
The 24 inch tall 10 inch mine I just had welded are 3/16 of an inch. I have some oil /gas pipe that was left over from a pipline job that are 1/2 an inch thick but that is an overkill and pretty heavy.6387

PyroWalker
08-15-2022, 08:40 PM
The 24 inch tall 10 inch mine I just had welded are 3/16 of an inch. I have some oil /gas pipe that was left over from a pipline job that are 1/2 an inch thick but that is an overkill and pretty heavy.6387

Perfect! Exactly what I needed to know.

Sgt_Hellfish
12-20-2022, 04:33 PM
I have two mines that I'm looking at using, both are 6" diameter. The first is 24" the second is about 13". I'm going with 1.25 oz / gallon of gas, with a bit of water in the bottom.

My question is, would going with .625 oz and 1/2 gallon be too little to put in the 24" pipe? My concern is having unused fuel burning on the ground in the surrounding area.

If I'm using that little gas, would a 4" by 24" pipe be better to use?

How far away are you standing when shooting this off? What would you recommend be a safe distance for the public to be standing?

Thanks!

Salutecake
12-22-2022, 09:09 AM
Hey Scotty, without adding water how do you keep the gas from eating away to the charge?

Arclight
12-22-2022, 12:31 PM
Hey Scotty, without adding water how do you keep the gas from eating away to the charge?

Dip the finished assembly in fiberglass resin from the auto parts store.

Salutecake
12-23-2022, 08:23 AM
Thanks Arclight!