PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale Fireworks Discount Structure

d_vova
08-03-2022, 12:07 AM
The website provides a table with spending amounts and corresponding percentages but does not specify which orders count towards the spending amounts (orders placed during the season, year, or over the lifetime of the account). Can someone provide clarity on this?

Arles
08-03-2022, 08:14 AM
I can't speak for the others, but American Wholesale Fireworks is cumulative lifetime. They'll also bump you up to a higher tier if the $ amount of the current order added to your past orders will put you in a higher tier.

Birdman
08-03-2022, 09:13 AM
I did not realize AWF was lifetime cumulative. Not sure if this is still being offered but as a member of this forum you may be eligible for platinum pricing from the start:

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?7718-American-Wholesale-Fireworks-2020-Price-List-is-Available-Now!&highlight=Platinum+pricing (https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?7718-American-Wholesale-Fireworks-2020-Price-List-is-Available-Now!&highlight=Platinum+pricing)

d_vova
08-03-2022, 11:00 PM
Qualifying for platinum pricing is not an issue for me but it is nice to know that I don't have to buy a bunch of products I am not interested in just to get the discount at AWF.

AWF warehouse is twice the distance between wholesale fireworks and where I live, and platinum prices seem to be higher than what I can get at wfboom.

Right now I am trying to figure out how much I would have to spend to get the 40% discount at wfboom and how long this discount would last. I should probably just ask Ray, but he hasn't really been responding to the notes on my orders, so the introvert in me is feeling uncomfortable to email him with this question.

d_vova
08-04-2022, 01:22 PM
I ended up emailing them directly and it looks like all case orders within a calendar year count towards those spending ranges.

Arles
08-05-2022, 08:20 AM
Qualifying for platinum pricing is not an issue for me but it is nice to know that I don't have to buy a bunch of products I am not interested in just to get the discount at AWF.

AWF warehouse is twice the distance between wholesale fireworks and where I live, and platinum prices seem to be higher than what I can get at wfboom.

Right now I am trying to figure out how much I would have to spend to get the 40% discount at wfboom and how long this discount would last. I should probably just ask Ray, but he hasn't really been responding to the notes on my orders, so the introvert in me is feeling uncomfortable to email him with this question.

If you weren't aware, AWF has two higher pricing tiers beyond Platinum... Diamond and Elite. Elite is $5,000 lifetime purchases, so not hard to get there. Looking at the pricing for similar items... AFW Elite tier appears to be pretty close to the wfboom 20% discount tier, so if you're spending $3,000 - $5,000 a year wfboom is almost the same as AWF. Once you go over $5,000 per year or more, wfboom the pricing is cheaper. AFW sells 1.4 pro and 1.3, which I can't imagine doing a show without. :D I'm a big fan of AWF and the folks who work there.

d_vova
08-06-2022, 02:06 AM
Thank you for posting this information!

So far I am not impressed with AWF. As you pointed out the best price point they can offer is 20% higher than what one can get at wfboom. Also, I have messaged them a few times and they are insisting on talking to me over the phone to share information regarding higher tier pricing/qualification. Why not make it available on the website?

Since I got involved in fireworks two years ago, I have been shopping exclusively at AFW and have been mostly happy with their products and service. However, I must say that rising prices, fairly high spending requirements, low inventory, and missing categories of products are driving me away.

topshelfpyro
08-07-2022, 05:57 AM
how are you comparing prices between wfboom and american? wfboom mostly sells their own branded items

d_vova
08-07-2022, 10:07 AM
I am comparing prices on items carried by both places (brands like hopkee/firehawk, pyro planet), prices on classic items (think firecrackers, missile batteries, novelties, color pearl 96 shot cakes, etc), minimum, maximum, and average prices for 200g and 500g cakes (also looking at various categories like NOABs, fan cakes, high number of shots zipper/finale cakes).

It helps to create a simple spreadsheet (I use Google sheets). Most places have price lists that map into a spreadsheet very nicely. Otherwise you can use existing functions (on rare occasions AppScript) provided by Google sheets to crawl their websites to collect this data.

topshelfpyro
08-07-2022, 12:35 PM
Hmmmm. If your comparing apples and apples then I could see price comparing. But comparing X brand zipper with 160 shots and a winda, dominator, etc with 160 shots isn't comparable. Same as every other item. A 12 shot no name isn't really comparable to a 12 shot name brand like winda, dominator, etc generally. If you really want to price compare use identical items.

Americans elite price level is in line with other wholesalers for identical products usually. Sometimes it's a little higher sometimes not. When you move into the spend level of wholesale sometimes it becomes a who has it in stock not a I can save $10 a case somewhere else if they ever get any.

Wholesale is the most over used word in the fireworks industry! It really doesn't mean anything anymore.

d_vova
08-08-2022, 12:02 AM
I believe I am comparing apples to apples. Here are a couple of examples for Pyro Planet products that are sold by both AWF and AFW:

Flying Proud $89*0.64=$56.96 AWF vs 79.99*0.6=$47.99 AFW: 56.96/47.99=1.1869 or 18.69% difference
Kaleidoscopic $178.75*0.64=$114.4 AWF vs 139.99*0.6=$83.99 AFW: 114.4/83.99=1.3621 or 36.2% difference

If we can observe such a large difference on these products, why shouldn't we expect the same thing for other products?

Both AWF and AFW sell well performing products, so I do not believe I am comparing no name to brand names when looking at similar (but not identical) items. As I said in the previous post, the average difference in price between AWF and AFW in most categories that you can think of (accounting for outliers) is around 20%.

Furthermore, if you still believe that AWF is more expensive because of their superior Dominator products, I have encountered a number of companies throughout the country that sell Dominator products at 20-30% lower prices than AWF (of course accounting for taxes and fees). As a matter of fact, I am currently working out details with one of those companies to get Dominator and Dominator Pro products at prices lower than both (identical products at) AWF and (comparable products at) AFW. Oh, and that's with no minimum spending requirements!

Since you mentioned the presence of inventory, I believe AWF does have a greater variety available than AFW. But there is still not much choice when it comes to gender reveal, patriotic fireworks, and parachutes.

I do agree that the word "wholesale" does not really mean much. This is exactly why it may be worth to shop around once in a while to keep the prices at our favorite places in check.

Stang
08-08-2022, 03:09 AM
Interesting comparison. I dont have any skin in the game but I'll play along. I think both are great vendors even though I haven't purchased from WFBoom yet, I have looked at them for the past few years.

First thing, that seems strange is comparing prices which require $5000 lifetime purchase vs $12,500 for the year.
Second comparing in stock and out of stock prices.

I'm showing 25% and 40% since the 25% is the discount $5000 will get you comparable to AWF.

Here are 2 products both have in stock Diamond Sky and Solid Gold.

Per piece since AWF didn't have cases
Diamond Sky - AWF: $14.56 elite price. WFBoom: 25% Disc = $17.45 40% Disc = $13.96

Whole case
Solid Gold - AWF: $115.36 elite price. WFBoom: 25% Disc = $127.49 40% Disc = $101.99

So, as you can see, it depends on how much you are spending. You could also see if AWF would go lower if you are dropping $12.5k in one order.
For me, another factor is what is in stock that I want to order, when I want to order, at any vendor. Each shipped order I have to pay at least $150 for shipping. I'm not going to order 10 cases from 5 vendors. This is especially important in these crazy times, where things go in and out of stock quickly.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, all depends on what you want. They sell alot of differing products. And a few similar ones.

topshelfpyro
08-08-2022, 03:23 AM
I believe I am comparing apples to apples. Here are a couple of examples for Pyro Planet products that are sold by both AWF and AFW:

Flying Proud $89*0.64=$56.96 AWF vs 79.99*0.6=$47.99 AFW: 56.96/47.99=1.1869 or 18.69% difference
Kaleidoscopic $178.75*0.64=$114.4 AWF vs 139.99*0.6=$83.99 AFW: 114.4/83.99=1.3621 or 36.2% difference

If we can observe such a large difference on these products, why shouldn't we expect the same thing for other products?

Both AWF and AFW sell well performing products, so I do not believe I am comparing no name to brand names when looking at similar (but not identical) items. As I said in the previous post, the average difference in price between AWF and AFW in most categories that you can think of (accounting for outliers) is around 20%.

Furthermore, if you still believe that AWF is more expensive because of their superior Dominator products, I have encountered a number of companies throughout the country that sell Dominator products at 20-30% lower prices than AWF (of course accounting for taxes and fees). As a matter of fact, I am currently working out details with one of those companies to get Dominator and Dominator Pro products at prices lower than both (identical products at) AWF and (comparable products at) AFW. Oh, and that's with no minimum spending requirements!

Since you mentioned the presence of inventory, I believe AWF does have a greater variety available than AFW. But there is still not much choice when it comes to gender reveal, patriotic fireworks, and parachutes.

I do agree that the word "wholesale" does not really mean much. This is exactly why it may be worth to shop around once in a while to keep the prices at our favorite places in check.

I would be interested to know how exactly you are getting a 40% discount from wfboom? There website says they require a $12,500 YEARLY purchase to get that discount. Personally I have not ordered anything from wfboom since they don't really have much I am interested in, but maybe I should look at them again if they are giving away 40% discounts without the supposedly required spend amounts. I'm just a backyard guy but I do spend 5-10K per year with the couple of vendors I like. I also find it hard to believe that wfboom would retail kaleidoscopic for $110 EACH but sell the 4/1 case for $140 :rolleyes:

d_vova
08-08-2022, 08:34 AM
One of my previous posts stated that I was looking into wfboom discount structure to see how much I would have to spend to qualify for the 40% discount. The whole purpose was to find the place that provides the best pricing for bulk orders. Comparing AWF and AFW: AWF is better for small orders, and AFW is better for bulk.

d_vova
08-08-2022, 08:52 AM
$110 each is actually a price for buy 1 get 1 (half a case) or buy 1 get 2 (three quarters of a case).

I never said I was getting a 40% discount from wfboom bypassing their spending requirement. In fact, what I said was that I am disappointed with the prices creeping up at wfboom. As Stang pointed out, Solid Gold (one of my favorite items by the way) is very expensive there. This is the reason I started to look around and found a place that seems to be better than both AWF and AFW.

Wholesale Fireworks
08-08-2022, 01:53 PM
I would be interested to know how exactly you are getting a 40% discount from wfboom? There website says they require a $12,500 YEARLY purchase to get that discount. Personally I have not ordered anything from wfboom since they don't really have much I am interested in, but maybe I should look at them again if they are giving away 40% discounts without the supposedly required spend amounts. I'm just a backyard guy but I do spend 5-10K per year with the couple of vendors I like. I also find it hard to believe that wfboom would retail kaleidoscopic for $110 EACH but sell the 4/1 case for $140 :rolleyes:

To keep is short and simple...to receive a 40% discount from us you will need to spend $12, 500 within the SAME year. That can be a single order or... from several orders throughout the year and your discount will increase as you you get closer to the $12,500. If you reach the $12,500 in a single year, that discount will carry over to the next year. As long as you spend the $12,500 the following year, your discount will carry over again. But if you spend less, the corresponding discount will carry over but you will need to spend the $12,500 again to get back up to 40%. If you have any further questions you can just contact me directly instead of relying on everyones answer who do not even work for us.

topshelfpyro
08-08-2022, 04:26 PM
$110 each is actually a price for buy 1 get 1 (half a case) or buy 1 get 2 (three quarters of a case).

I never said I was getting a 40% discount from wfboom bypassing their spending requirement. In fact, what I said was that I am disappointed with the prices creeping up at wfboom. As Stang pointed out, Solid Gold (one of my favorite items by the way) is very expensive there. This is the reason I started to look around and found a place that seems to be better than both AWF and AFW.

Ok you didn't say it but it seemed to be implied by you always using a 40% discount when calculating the price differences from wfboom......

FYI american is giving an additional 15% discount on all price tiers thru this week according to the email I just got......

I really don't patronize places that do the bog2 or bog3 or bogo marketing scams.

Arles
08-08-2022, 04:31 PM
Ok you didn't say it but it seemed to be implied by you always using a 40% discount when calculating the price differences from wfboom......

I don't think he implied that at all.

topshelfpyro
08-08-2022, 05:40 PM
I don't think he implied that at all.

when the only discount amount you use to compare prices is 40%.........

Arles
08-08-2022, 06:08 PM
when the only discount amount you use to compare prices is 40%.........

The whole point of the thread was d_vova trying to get help in determining what he would have to spend to get the 40% discount.

Right now I am trying to figure out how much I would have to spend to get the 40% discount at wfboom and how long this discount would last.

topshelfpyro
08-08-2022, 09:01 PM
The whole point of the thread was d_vova trying to get help in determining what he would have to spend to get the 40% discount.

Maybe I misunderstood? Wfbooms website clearly states the requirements for each of their discount levels.

Arles
08-08-2022, 09:40 PM
Maybe I misunderstood? Wfbooms website clearly states the requirements for each of their discount levels.

The website provides a table with spending amounts and corresponding percentages but does not specify which orders count towards the spending amounts (orders placed during the season, year, or over the lifetime of the account). Can someone provide clarity on this?

It doesn't really say if it is per order, rolling year, calendar year, lifetime, etc and for how long it holds.

Wholesale Fireworks
08-09-2022, 09:19 AM
Hey gang ..... why dont you just call me and I will explain everything to you rather that guessing? I am in the office Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm and happy to answer any questions you may have.
I look forward to speaking with ALL of you