PDA

View Full Version : 1.3G Firework Shoot/Retailer on the East Coast

Blackdevil77
07-24-2022, 07:42 AM
Not new here by any means, but I wanted my ATF Type 54 years ago and NY regulations somewhat but a damper on it and discouraged me from even bothering. I want to try and obtain my Type 54, but I won't be able to shoot in NY (unless there's an open shoot here by some chance, but I doubt it).
I live on Long Island so I'm hours away from mostly anything firework related. Where is the closest (to Long Island) place you think an open shoot would ever happen? I attended a PGI course and open shoot years ago in Blacklick PA, which was about a 10-hour drive for me. Does anything happen in Eastern PA?

jknepp1954
07-24-2022, 10:02 AM
Wow Black Devil - that was years ago in Black Lick - that would have been sponsored by the Pa Pyrotechnic Artists club. I was probably there as one of the C vendors there. But with that being said - best thing is to join a club - and attend one of the many open shoots that they have. Sometimes (not always though) there would be a 1.3 supplier there - which of course they would take preorders and delivery to the shoot for the type 54 attendees - of course shot there only. Not many shoots in East Pa though - i do remember that NLPC had one in NYS actually - just N of the PA/NJ/NY CORNER a yr or so ago - not sure if any 1.3 folks was there or not....
Reading was host to a site this past spring - but only 1.4 allowed there.

Blackdevil77
07-24-2022, 10:49 AM
Wow Black Devil - that was years ago in Black Lick - that would have been sponsored by the Pa Pyrotechnic Artists club. I was probably there as one of the C vendors there. But with that being said - best thing is to join a club - and attend one of the many open shoots that they have. Sometimes (not always though) there would be a 1.3 supplier there - which of course they would take preorders and delivery to the shoot for the type 54 attendees - of course shot there only. Not many shoots in East Pa though - i do remember that NLPC had one in NYS actually - just N of the PA/NJ/NY CORNER a yr or so ago - not sure if any 1.3 folks was there or not....
Reading was host to a site this past spring - but only 1.4 allowed there.

Yeah that was a long time ago. Don’t remember the year, but it was definitely over 10 years ago. So you know how long I’ve been longing for this license lol. I just live in the worst place ever for a pyro enthusiast to live. Everything is minimum 5 hours from me, which is somewhat difficult to make time for with young kids, wife etc. I would like to try though. Worst case scenario, I get the license and never get to use it lol. But it’s worth a shot. I’d rather have the license so if the stars do align and I get the opportunity I can have some fun.

Blackdevil77
07-26-2022, 01:04 PM
I emailed Kellner asking about contingency storage last week, haven’t heard back. Any other 1.3g retailers on the east coast that would offer contingency storage?

Engineer Cat
07-26-2022, 03:18 PM
I emailed Kellner asking about contingency storage last week, haven’t heard back. Any other 1.3g retailers on the east coast that would offer contingency storage?

Kellner's is way to far from you to use as contingency storage. I highly doubt that would be acceptable to the ATF. I don't have a 54 but have all the paperwork and Dave's instructional videos on the obtaining the 54. I'm in NJ. I'm in the same boat you are when it comes to contingency storage.

The storage is supposed to be located fairly close so that bringing product to and from the shoot site doesn't leave product in limbo outside of the mag.

Engineer Cat
07-26-2022, 03:32 PM
I sent you a PM.

Blackdevil77
07-26-2022, 07:47 PM
Kellner's is way to far from you to use as contingency storage. I highly doubt that would be acceptable to the ATF. I don't have a 54 but have all the paperwork and Dave's instructional videos on the obtaining the 54. I'm in NJ. I'm in the same boat you are when it comes to contingency storage.

The storage is supposed to be located fairly close so that bringing product to and from the shoot site doesn't leave product in limbo outside of the mag.

While Kellner's is far, the shoot site would likely be much closer than where I live. I wouldn't be able to shoot by me at all, unless I satisfy all of NY's requirements, which is basically impossible unless you own a company.

Replied to the PM

PyroJoeNEPA
07-27-2022, 08:24 AM
Fire Art in Clearfield PA is another company to consider. Check with Al Giardano there---he is a great guy to deal with.

Blackdevil77
07-27-2022, 09:02 AM
Fire Art in Clearfield PA is another company to consider. Check with Al Giardano there---he is a great guy to deal with.

I'll send them an email as well. They're about 5 hours from me. Haven't heard back from Kellners or Celebration Fireworks yet.

Salutecake
08-04-2022, 12:00 PM
This time of the year it takes a while for some of these companies to get back to you. Just the way it is, making hay while the sun is shinning, lol.

Blackdevil77
08-04-2022, 03:17 PM
I got my contingency storage letter. Got Dave's DVD package (for the second time) and the application is filled out. All that's left to do is get my fingerprints done, and send it in.

Engineer Cat
08-05-2022, 11:18 PM
Nice! Where did you end up getting contingency from?

Blackdevil77
08-07-2022, 09:59 AM
Both Fireart and Celebration fireworks sent me contingency letters. Not sure if it has to be just one, but I would imagine more than one contingency plan would be a good thing. Primary would be Fireart.

Application was mailed in. It's trackable, they should get it Monday.

Engineer Cat
08-07-2022, 06:07 PM
Awesome. I never thought about the fact that if I join a club in PA, I would have access to shoot sites in the PA area so having contingency out there should make sense to the ATF agent who would be vetting the application.

Keep us posted on the progress.

So what's the deal with the contingency at Fire art and Celebration? Do you have to guarantee you will buy a certain amount of product? Do you need to buy upfront after you get the 54 and keep it in contingency storage till used? Or can you call them up a week before and say hey I need this and that and I'll be there to pick it up Sat?

Blackdevil77
08-07-2022, 08:06 PM
Awesome. I never thought about the fact that if I join a club in PA, I would have access to shoot sites in the PA area so having contingency out there should make sense to the ATF agent who would be vetting the application.

Keep us posted on the progress.

So what's the deal with the contingency at Fire art and Celebration? Do you have to guarantee you will buy a certain amount of product? Do you need to buy upfront after you get the 54 and keep it in contingency storage till used? Or can you call them up a week before and say hey I need this and that and I'll be there to pick it up Sat?

I don't believe so. I just sent an email saying I need a contingency letter to be able to get my type 54 license to buy 1.3g product, and they ask for your information and email you the letter. It was one of the easiest parts of the process. None of it seems particularly difficult.

Engineer Cat
08-08-2022, 01:38 AM
I don't believe so. I just sent an email saying I need a contingency letter to be able to get my type 54 license to buy 1.3g product, and they ask for your information and email you the letter. It was one of the easiest parts of the process. None of it seems particularly difficult.

Interesting. Good to know. Thanks

PG2159
08-08-2022, 07:37 AM
Celebration is right in my neck of the woods. Used to do a real nice pyromusical in Breinigsville that I helped with for several years. Interesting to know about the contingency letter. Thanks.

Okimarine
08-08-2022, 11:39 AM

This was my thinking when I initially applied for my type 54, my contingency storage would have been 4 hours away but that is the location I planned on shooting at. He had a problem with it and had about a dozen more questions for me to justify getting the license. I realized he didn't like the idea for one reason or another but he agreed to hold my license package while I aquired a magazine of my own. After that it was smooth sailing but he was very hesitant with my initial idea. For the record, I'm happy to have my own magazine and couldn't imagine driving a great distance to shoot 1.3 once or twice a year. I do however know owning your own magazine is not an option for many.

Blackdevil77
08-08-2022, 07:36 PM
This was my thinking when I initially applied for my type 54, my contingency storage would have been 4 hours away but that is the location I planned on shooting at. He had a problem with it and had about a dozen more questions for me to justify getting the license. I realized he didn't like the idea for one reason or another but he agreed to hold my license package while I aquired a magazine of my own. After that it was smooth sailing but he was very hesitant with my initial idea. For the record, I'm happy to have my own magazine and couldn't imagine driving a great distance to shoot 1.3 once or twice a year. I do however know owning your own magazine is not an option for many.

What was his problem with it? If that's where you're shooting, what's the issue? You're shooting right there, when you're done, if you didn't use all your product, it goes right back in the magazine that's over there, and you go home. Did he say what his issue was?

Salutecake
08-08-2022, 07:39 PM
Most of the the contingency agreements that I have in PA work all about the same. If you by the product from them today you usually have about a year of time to pick it up. Realize that if your picking stuff up for a shoot, let's say on the Fourth, you might be assigned a time to come pick it up on that day. You know they are pretty busy that day, and probably are booked with shoots all night.
Some one mentioned about joining a club, probably a good idea because some clubs offer mag storage, probably with a fee attached, but if the mag is close to you you can probably buy from other companies and have some what private storage.