PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Pyromusicals: Yankee Doodle | Greatest Show* | Madness Collides

WithReport
07-20-2022, 02:17 AM
Here is the video from this years 4th of July Shows. We get a good group of friends, family, and community over for the evening.

We re-did our Yankee Doodle show from last year - added some product to it. This was our opener. I had some fused racks of consumer cannisters and I suspect I had a bad section of fuse - I had redundant fuses and they both self-extinguished on the chain - oh well. Other than that, it went pretty well. This was shot with just one module.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1wLc8NjADU

Double Duty Module: After Yankee Doddle was was over, I went out quickly and unplugged the module, restarted it, and networked it to the main show and plugged it in to rails and DMX cables waiting for it - it ran the DMX portion and some of the fountains in the next two shows.

We then did this "faux" opening for the main show. No one was aware of how this was going to go - except me. I'll let it speak for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KimqLGTnul0

Then we went right into the main show - Madness Collides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gyX-npu1D0

Note: There is about 5 minutes worth of prep and setup pictures and videos at the end of the main show video.

Engineer Cat
07-20-2022, 04:16 PM
Dude! Spectacular use of effects. What a great show!

My boss just lost 27 mins of productivity from me. :o

Birdman
07-20-2022, 07:08 PM
That was a great show. Very creative. Very professional but yet very much full of that backyard ingenuity! Setup pics at the end really brought that home.

WithReport
07-21-2022, 09:07 PM
Dude! Spectacular use of effects. What a great show!

My boss just lost 27 mins of productivity from me. :o

That was a great show. Very creative. Very professional but yet very much full of that backyard ingenuity! Setup pics at the end really brought that home.

Thanks for the positive words. Sorry about the loss of productivity - LOL. I'll acknowledge the show keeps getting larger and more involved - it's just damn addicting. Regardless of the size, they each have special memories, even my first "pyromusical" in 2017, which I documented here: https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?6065-4th-of-July-quot-Front-Yard-quot-Pyromusical-with-1-4G-items - still makes me smile.

Arles
07-22-2022, 03:10 PM
Great show and loved the set up pics!

WithReport
07-23-2022, 01:45 PM
Great show and loved the set up pics!

Thank you. I took quite a bit of setup video this year, I might get around to compiling some more of it. I agree that not only do I like to see the show, but I also find the details of the setup and prep work interesting.

PyroWalker
07-25-2022, 08:37 AM
Thank you. I took quite a bit of setup video this year, I might get around to compiling some more of it. I agree that not only do I like to see the show, but I also find the details of the setup and prep work interesting.

Loved the show and the setup videos. It is helpful to see how other's do things. I learn something new every time I watch a show, and learn even more when I can see setup ideas. I need to get better about taking more video/pictures as I go along.
What video editing software are you using for your videos? I have downloaded Davinci but haven't had time to really learn how to use it. Real life got super busy after the 4th, and I haven't had much time to go back and put together a decent video with my drone footage yet.

WithReport
07-25-2022, 07:51 PM
Thanks for commenting on the show and I'm glad you watched some of the setup.

What video editing software are you using for your videos? I have downloaded Davinci but haven't had time to really learn how to use it. Real life got super busy after the 4th, and I haven't had much time to go back and put together a decent video with my drone footage yet.

I by no means profess to be a resource for video editing - I pound my way through it and fake it. I'm sure there are much better work flows than what I do. Anyway, I use Adobe Premier Pro. It can take a bit of time, I'm slowly getting a bit more proficient at it. I spend a lot of time in all the planning and prep and although things went fairy smooth, I have found that I finally get to enjoy the show (and nit pick it a bit) sitting down on the couch and watching it on the TV.

I've considered the drone and we have a DJI, but the flight time isn't long enough and I'd rather have other's watching and enjoying the show rather than flying the drone - but drone footage can be pretty cool.

PyroWalker
07-26-2022, 07:53 AM
I spend a lot of time in all the planning and prep and although things went fairy smooth, I have found that I finally get to enjoy the show (and nit pick it a bit) sitting down on the couch and watching it on the TV.

I've considered the drone and we have a DJI, but the flight time isn't long enough and I'd rather have other's watching and enjoying the show rather than flying the drone - but drone footage can be pretty cool.
I too don't feel I can relax and "enjoy" the show fully, until watching the video after. However, this year my video was awful, the drone didn't make it high enough, and landed itself halfway through the show. It was a mess. So, I was disappointed. I have a Phantom 3 drone. With a new battery it is supposed to last 23 minutes, which is long enough for my shows. The trick is having it setup right the first time and a hover position programed. I had all that done, but my dad decided to use his phone to fly it instead of my tablet. So, that quickly went out the window and we had all kinds of issues. Anyway... The most important part is that your audience who sees the show in person loves it! Right?

WithReport
07-26-2022, 10:25 AM
... The most important part is that your audience who sees the show in person loves it! Right?

Yes??? That may be debatable - LOL. Most audience will just enjoy a bunch of fireworks going off randomly.

We've gotten to the point that we put so much time and effort into it that over the years we have added up to ~5 cameras running and 3 of them on extended batteries and cards. They will run and record for ~5 hours. So I try to set them up on tri-pods when it is still daylight and just let them run.