PDA

View Full Version : E-Port Full of Black Match (+ Introduction)

Nick@Night
07-18-2022, 10:38 PM
Hi all - first post on the forum here so wanted to introduce myself as well as say thank you for all of the great information available, has been an immense help on my journey into pyro. Started this journey a couple years back, just shooting consumer product by hand. Now have a Cobra with a few modules, started working with a display company, completed PGI DOC training and have my certification "lead operator" show coming up on labor day weekend! Wonderful community with great support, Dave's videos, forum and website have been an invaluable resource.

Apologies if this topic has been covered already, didn't see a clear answer on any other threads that I read through.

Recently picked up a few products (Tannerite and Dominator pro) where the e-port is pretty full of black match strands. Pictures attached. Tannerite has white shroud, Dominator has yellow. Is there a safe way to move (or remove) some of this black match to fit an ignitor (using MJG) into the port?
I really would like to keep the match shroud on, if at all possible! I think the dominator port has enough room to fit just the match head in, but the Tannerite port would be a really tight squeeze, like I said, would really like to keep the match shroud on, though. Haven't seen this issue on any 1.3 product in the field yet, personally.

Again, first time posting, so let me know if everyone can see the pictures.

Appreciate any feedback!
Thanks, Nick.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-19-2022, 08:25 AM
Nick, the ematch ports are secured to the quick match with the Chinese equivalent of our "masking tape". You can peel back [or cut with a razor knife] the tape from the ematch port to free it from the quick match. Then, with an anvil cutter, trim the black match strands back & reinstall the ematch port. Use a small piece of "magic tape" to re-install the port. It will be fine. We find that once in a while with 1.3g shells. So much for Chinese "quality Control"!
And, welcome to PyroTalk.

BMoore
07-19-2022, 08:41 AM
The Tannerite one looks pretty common. The dominator, you could use some non sparking cutters to cut the black match back a little bit so it isn't sticking out. Black match crushes easily so you should be able to push your e-match right in with no problem. It will not damage the match. Knowing that your match head is very close or directly contacting the black match should give you some piece of mind.

Nick@Night
07-21-2022, 10:09 AM
Thank you, Joe & BMoore for the help! Problem solved. Ended up cutting the port off and trimming.