PDA

View Full Version : New here after watching Dave’s dvds question

AlbieRightThere
07-12-2022, 01:15 PM
I’ve been putting on a backyard firework show with consumer fireworks in my parents huge backyard for the past 10years.. it’s tradition for our 4th of July outing.. As Dave said, wanting to up my game with display fireworks, I ordered his dvd package.. I watched it yesterday and I keep hearing him mentioning “permit”.. I live in southwestern Pennsylvania.. Will I need a permit after obtaining my license to light off thunder kings in my parents back yard for our once a year family firework show? Thank for anybodies help and advice!

jr99svt
07-14-2022, 07:43 AM
yes. PA law requires a permit for display fireworks. and insurance..... Also requires you are 150' from a building with consumer(and therefore display).

AlbieRightThere
07-14-2022, 10:27 AM
Ok, just so I’m getting the straight before foregoing this process… I need a permit from my township to light 1.3 fireworks, on my parents private owned 5acres of land, more than 150ft away from from any structure?.. I apologize for my ignorance, I’m just getting new to this 1.3 world, I’ve only ever purchased consumer fireworks.. I wasn’t aware I still needed a permit to light off fireworks on privately owned family farmer land

jr99svt
07-14-2022, 11:36 AM
yes. PA law requires a permit for display fireworks.

https://www.psp.pa.gov/public-safety/Pages/fireworks-safety.aspx

“Display fireworks,” which are classified as including salutes that contain more than two grains or 130 milligrams of explosive materials, and professional-grade aerial shells containing more than 60 grams of pyrotechnic compositions, are still only to be used by professionals with a permit from the municipality where the display will take place.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/li/uconsCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&yr=2017&sessInd=0&act=0043.&chpt=000.&subchpt=000.&sctn=043.&subsctn=000#:~:text=(a)%20Imposition.,as%20provide d%20in%20this%20section.

Section 2402. Permits.

(a) Permissible purposes.--Display fireworks may be possessed and used by a person holding a permit from a municipality at the display covered by the permit

AlbieRightThere
07-14-2022, 12:02 PM
Thank you for this information.. I genuinely appreciate learning all this before proceeding

AlbieRightThere
07-14-2022, 12:27 PM
ALSO! As you mentioned earlier I will have to get insurance to even light on my own property?.. Is this accurate aswell?

jr99svt
07-14-2022, 01:38 PM
well, the legal word in the law is bond, but permit requirements vary wildly in my experiance, best to contact your AHJ to see what they require.

Salutecake
07-18-2022, 01:55 PM
I am not quit sure you have that right in PA, jr99svt. As a person in commerce you must have those things but as for a hobbyist in many locations throughout the state of PA nothing else is required. Professional yes hobbyists depends.

PuffyElvis
07-19-2022, 03:17 PM
The requirements on insurance can vary. Usually if a municipality requires insurance the permit application will require you to present proof of insurance as part of the application.

I do some shooting in Wisconsin and state law says that municipalities may require insurance, but it's up to the town/city issuing the permit whether to require it. Some towns do require it and others (thankfully) do not.

Engineer Cat
07-19-2022, 03:37 PM
I'm sure the insurance cost are different from state to state but what does it generally cost to get insurance for a shoot?

RalphieJ
07-19-2022, 07:25 PM
I'm sure the insurance cost are different from state to state but what does it generally cost to get insurance for a shoot?

When I was involved with my local display company, the cost for insurance for a display was 25% of the contract purchase price. That was the rate for a company with no incidents or damage claims.

BMoore
07-19-2022, 09:19 PM

It’s going to vary and depend on the amount of coverage required. Some vendors will sell ship show insurance if you are using their product exclusively and meet other requirements. You can also buy individual event insurance or annual policies. A rough average for $1M in coverage would be about $1,500 per shoot.

Arclight
07-20-2022, 12:38 AM
I've seen yearly policies for around $3.500, assuming some level of activity like $100K or less. Not terrible if you can split it with another enthusiast or have a club.

jr99svt
07-20-2022, 08:50 AM
I am not quit sure you have that right in PA, jr99svt. As a person in commerce you must have those things but as for a hobbyist in many locations throughout the state of PA nothing else is required. Professional yes hobbyists depends.

Small municipalities may or may not do any research for legal requirements. thats why i said permit requirements can vary wildly from one municipality to another.

the Law does not differ between a pro and a hobbiest. what you can get away with as long as there is no incident is different then what a lawyer will crush you with while you are sitting on the witness stand.

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/li/uconsCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&yr=2017&sessInd=0&act=0043.&chpt=000.&subchpt=000.&sctn=043.&subsctn=000#:~:text=(a)%20Imposition.,as%20provide d%20in%20this%20section

(a) Permissible purposes.--Display fireworks may be possessed and used by a person holding a permit from a municipality at the display covered by the permit or when used as authorized by a permit for any of the following:

(c) Bond.--The governing body of the municipality shall require a bond deemed adequate by it from the permittee in a sum not less than $50,000 conditioned for the payment of all damages which may be caused to a person or property by reason of the display and arising from an act of the permittee or an agent, an employee or a subcontractor of the permittee.

shake the cove
01-16-2023, 01:29 PM
ALSO! As you mentioned earlier I will have to get insurance to even light on my own property?.. Is this accurate aswell?

Talk with Lynch Imports one of Dave's suppliers. When you buy product from them you can get ship/show insurance relatively cheap. Even on family property with immediate family if a shells lands close to audience and someone is seriously burned or worse and can't provide for their family you will find you do not have a family and lawyers want a lot of money to compensate. A decent size show will run 1-2k in product minimum. I have helped set up 1.3 cake only shows that were usually set off electrically so no mortar racks needed, but have also seen these hand lit with other consumer products for those shows.