PDA

View Full Version : What Computer do you use? Cobra-Time Code-Audio

PyroFL
07-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Last year was my first year using cobra and couldn't get the time code and music split. So I had to hit the audio track on my computer and the 18R2 at the same time which I ended up being a just a little off.

After talking to Zach and Scott until 3:30am last year the morning of the 4h (2021) it ended up being my 8 year old laptop audio card and they both thought a new laptop would fix the problem.

Jump ahead to 3 weeks ago with a new laptop in hand, same problem, had my pyro crew guys bring there's over, 8 dell computers, 1 acer, 1 MAC and 1 MAC PRO later I got the MAC PRO to work.

I spoke to Cobra yesterday and it seems that Dell audio cards/drivers seems to be the problem and they had no answer of what to purchase.

Was hoping they would of just said but X for $500 and be done with it.

Looking to see what computer and model everyone is using so I can look on ebay and find a used computer that I know will work.

Thanks for your help

Jay_
07-12-2022, 01:20 PM
I primarily use my custom which is Ryzen 5 3600 processor/RX580 GPU/32gb Gskill trident RAM/MSI B450M chipset.

I actually built it a couple of years ago because I was having some issues with the old app version of CSC.

CSC also runs fairly well on my laptop which is just a generic dell latitude 7400. i7-8665U processor/8GB ram/Intel UHD graphics 620 GPU.

PyroWalker
07-12-2022, 01:28 PM
Would an audio box solve your problem? I run Cobra Show Creator but mostly script with Finale 3D. I run the show off my 18R2 remote and the audio box hooked to my PA system.

Engineer Cat
07-12-2022, 03:53 PM
I don't have a Cobra, I use Firelinx but the SMTP timecode should act the same. Are you using a Wav file for audio? Splitting the left and right so one is the SMTP timecode that goes to the cobra and the other to the PA system. Can't use MP3 cause it kills the timecode.

I really don't think the Dell soundcard as anything to do with it. You can make the Wav file using audacity or any sounds editing software and burn it to a cd and play it through a walkman which is basically what the cobra audiobox is. Shouldn't have to use that at all. As long as you split the audio so one channel is the time code.

Engineer Cat
07-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Just realized I couldn't edit SMTP with the proper SMPTE.

PyroFL
07-12-2022, 04:35 PM
Dell card/driver is a fake stereo surround sound output that marries both channels together.

Even when using a Y split its the same on both channels. I've even tried different drivers with no luck, I've tried a few programs as a work around that didn't work. As my audio card is part of the motherboard I cant replace it.

So, looking to see whos using what?

Cobra answer was there new hot item pyrocast but am not going to pay for another services each year to use.

Just need to find another laptop that works and pull it out one time per year

Engineer Cat
07-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Dell card/driver is a fake stereo surround sound output that marries both channels together.

Even when using a Y split its the same on both channels. I've even tried different drivers with no luck, I've tried a few programs as a work around that didn't work. As my audio card is part of the motherboard I cant replace it.

So, looking to see whos using what?

Cobra answer was there new hot item pyrocast but am not going to pay for another services each year to use.

Just need to find another laptop that works and pull it out one time per year

Ahhh that does make sense. Good to know.

ssmith512
07-12-2022, 08:42 PM
You are not using the Cobra USB sound card?

I use an old Dell Inspiron laptop with the Cobra USB sound card and it "works" for me. I put works in quotes because I do have an issue specific to my Inspiron described here in this thread I made last year...

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8722-SMPTE-sound-bleed

My wife's ASUS F17 gaming laptop using the Cobra USB sound card works with no issues.

PyroFL
07-12-2022, 10:00 PM
You are not using the Cobra USB sound card?

I use an old Dell Inspiron laptop with the Cobra USB sound card and it "works" for me. I put works in quotes because I do have an issue specific to my Inspiron described here in this thread I made last year...

https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8722-SMPTE-sound-bleed

My wife's ASUS F17 gaming laptop using the Cobra USB sound card works with no issues.

Yes, I even ordered another one of Amazon and Scott sent me another one so that's not it ... I have 3 all doing the same thing

I even tried the 3.5mm right out of the laptop with a 3.5mm to XLR-RCA splitter with no luck, tried testing with headphones to see if there was a difference and got the same thing TC & Audio

Someone told me to try to use a tablet, which I did try by CSC keeps crashing when trying to load the sound wave part of CSC … so that didn’t work

I still have 357 days to go but whos counting

Engineer Cat
07-12-2022, 10:13 PM
Yes, I even ordered another one of Amazon and Scott sent me another one so that's not it ... I have 3 all doing the same thing

I even tried the 3.5mm right out of the laptop with a 3.5mm to XLR-RCA splitter with no luck, tried testing with headphones to see if there was a difference and got the same thing TC & Audio

Someone told me to try to use a tablet, which I did try by CSC keeps crashing when trying to load the sound wave part of CSC … so that didn’t work

I still have 357 days to go but whos counting

Saving as MP3 or Wav file?

Engineer Cat
07-12-2022, 11:25 PM
Can you send me a link to the audio file you are using? See what happens when I run it through my computers?

PyroFL
07-12-2022, 11:55 PM
I just sent u my my CSC login in

Have proven that it works on a Mac pro

But do let me know what you find out

Scotty Rockets
07-13-2022, 10:36 PM
Using a PC to play smpte time code is not necessary. Digital audio players work as well, I’ve use tablets and smart phones. Test whatever device you want to use. There are 3 reasons smpte doesn’t work, either the device itself or the smpte track level isn’t loud enough. So switch devices and if the doesn’t work edit your tack and boost the smpte channel levels.

Engineer Cat
07-13-2022, 10:56 PM
Using a PC to play smpte time code is not necessary. Digital audio players work as well, I’ve use tablets and smart phones. Test whatever device you want to use. There are 3 reasons smpte doesn’t work, either the device itself or the smpte track level isn’t loud enough. So switch devices and if the doesn’t work edit your tack and boost the smpte channel levels.

HA I thought of using an mp3 player but not the cellphone. Yea the code splits properly from the audio from the phone.

Nice