PDA

View Full Version : Contingency VS magazine

Amaturepyro
07-10-2022, 01:06 PM
Another question I have is this…I live in ct…the closet store to me that sells 1.3 fireworks is Probly about 3-4 hours away…is there a limit to how far a store can be from the “shoot site” if i do contingency storage?? Or would it be better getting one of those RIGID job box and converting it to be able to store up to 50lbs I believe is the limit. I am about to start the type 54 process and I just want to cover all my bases with this stuff.

Arclight
07-10-2022, 02:11 PM
ATF is less of a problem than state and local regs in most states. You could get an ATF license/permit on contingency with the intention of "attending open shoot events" somewhere that is legal. My experience is that the inspector will let you have a contingency that isn't close but in the same state. I do contingency storage for a couple of other explosives industry folks. One of them has magazines in Oregon but is working in CA. They wanted to see a CA magazine location for his renewal.

Amaturepyro
07-13-2022, 07:53 AM
From my understanding now the permit is strictly so you can buy and transport legally. That’s pretty much it. Doesn’t necessarily allow you to actually shoot them. I think that’s where the state regs come into play…but as an example, and pure example only…say I got the license and bought a one case of 1.75 salutes, brought them home and shot like half a case off on the 4th. Now with the other half, I just kept them stored in my garage, and then put in my records that I shot that whole case off…that way I technically don’t have any product leftover to have to worry about returning or have to contingent storage…per-say…I have to believe that a lot of people don’t do that?? I have a feeling that there are people that do that all the time??

BMoore
07-13-2022, 10:36 AM
From my understanding now the permit is strictly so you can buy and transport legally. That’s pretty much it. Doesn’t necessarily allow you to actually shoot them. I think that’s where the state regs come into play…but as an example, and pure example only…say I got the license and bought a one case of 1.75 salutes, brought them home and shot like half a case off on the 4th. Now with the other half, I just kept them stored in my garage, and then put in my records that I shot that whole case off…that way I technically don’t have any product leftover to have to worry about returning or have to contingent storage…per-say…I have to believe that a lot of people don’t do that?? I have a feeling that there are people that do that all the time??

People break laws all the time, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do. Do you really want a half case of regulated explosives in your garage? Meth labs don't always explode either but do you want one in your house? The entire ATF licensing process is geared around tracking the possession of regulated explosives and they are better at it than you might think. In the grand scheme of things there aren't that many federal explosive licensees out there so you are on the radar. ATF inspectors can and do make surprise inspections. 1.3 and 1.1 explosives are much more volatile than their 1.4 counterparts and have the ability to mass detonate with a single spark. Storage laws are on the books for good reason and I have to think that most licensees are staying legal. If you buy a case, shoot a case. It's not worth sleeping with a bomb in your house or federal prosecution.

Arclight
07-13-2022, 03:31 PM
Don't falsify your records. ATF will absolutely go after you for that. If you have leftover product, shoot it, burn it or return it to a magazine.

Amaturepyro
07-14-2022, 07:46 AM
I totally agree. I’m not taking any chances on a surprise inspection and losing my permit over that or something similar…or having what would be a bomb in the garage. Thats why I kinda wanted to kno before going through the process…granted I do think that buying and converting one of those rigid storage containers would be my best bet. For me in particular. That way I know if I did have any leftover, which wouldn’t be alot, I could just throw in there safely and legally…

BMoore
07-14-2022, 09:06 AM
I totally agree. I’m not taking any chances on a surprise inspection and losing my permit over that or something similar…or having what would be a bomb in the garage. Thats why I kinda wanted to kno before going through the process…granted I do think that buying and converting one of those rigid storage containers would be my best bet. For me in particular. That way I know if I did have any leftover, which wouldn’t be alot, I could just throw in there safely and legally…

My recommendation on magazines is to stick to contingency storage for a while and then decide if you want to advance further with owning your own magazine. Type 54 rules can be challenging to understand and magazine ownership is an entirely separate rabbit hole. Even a job box magazine has to be ATF approved and be placed at the appropriate distances. You then have to document a weekly magazine inventory inspection, ins and outs documentation. Additional ATF inspections, etc. Local ordinances may also come into play and this is one area where the ATF will likely request a statement from your local government granting you permission to have an explosives magazine.