PDA

View Full Version : First E-Fire Show, many lessons learned

Walt
07-06-2022, 11:39 AM
All in all, very successful year. At least as far as the crowd is concerned anyways.

This was a big year for me. Was my largest budget yet, and first time E-Firing.

I had a little over 100 cakes, mostly 500g, including 3 zippers, 2 noabs, and a couple cases of 200g.

250 mortars, mostly Primo shell 60g cans, with a few legend crackling artillery in the mix.

I ran a 5 position front, with most of the show happening on 3 positions, and finale/fake finale including the 2 widest positions.

Bilusocn firing, I always struggle with wording here. To me a Cue is what I am pressing. So for me, this was a about a 40 cue show. But I was running close to 40 modules with about 160 initiators.

I had prepped all cakes, pre poked, labeled, taped the poke holes, and reboxed. This included building angled cake pieces and doing some fast fusing to make finale cake bundles. I fused mortar racks day before where they needed fusing, but had about 40 shells to poke day of.

Day of, I transported the product from the garage at the shoot site to a staging area just above the beach around noon. I poked all the shells, and inserted the still shorted E-match to them. All cakes remained boxed and poked but not matched.

6pm, I came back to the shoot site with 2 helpers, and some printouts of the layout. We had all cakes unboxed and set on the 5 firing lines fairly quickly, but then I had to match all the cakes. I had prepped nearly all the modules with initiators labeled where they go, and module labels. So I just had to unroll the initiator, poke my tape on the cakes, insert, and repeat. It took longer than I expected, and the finale modules had not been prepped so that took longer as well. I had to bump the shoot from 9pm to 9:20pm to give myself enough time to finish matching everything safely and ensure the product was all safely setup and angled. I am essentially the only qualified/knowledgeable person on site.

9:10pm I did a sweep and turned on all modules, but being late and operating with a headlamp, I did miss two modules.

I had a cue sheet with instructions and reminders to help me fire the show, but I found it to be difficult to use and then once I hit a module that I had missed it all fell apart. I kept a cool head and had most of the cue sheet in my mind pretty well so I just started working forward in the show methodically. I found it hard to keep track of last buttons pressed, and I had a section that required me to page up and down between area 2 and area 3 in the control desk to fire the same cues.

I had some mortar pieces intended to be a punctuation mark for the finale and fake finale, but they didn't work quite as well as intended. I had cakes run longer than intended in the finale plus I am pretty sure I miss-wired the finale modules because they were last in line and got wired about 8:45pm under pressure.

Lastly, it was so windy no one I knew felt comfortable flying my drone, so my video plan fell apart. My helpers decided to film the show from the side of the firing line so basically none of the fan effects are on film and it was filmed way to close. The guests at the party at the shoot site did snap some cell phone video but not a proper filming.

Big takeaways:

1) Next year I will be doing plywood cake boards, pre matched way ahead of time, with custom shunting plugs that I can remove from a shunting socket and plug directly into the modules once the boards are setup on site.
2) Get a friend trained up on my drone, or fly it myself day of
3) Buy/build something that allows me to hit a "fire next" button that automatically fires all needed initiators for a given cue, so all I have to do is press "next".
4) Don't mix and match direct firing in the lift cups with fused barages, timing is impossible that way.
5) E-firing is amazing, I had so much fun actually watching the effects above me and not just running around with a torch keeping things moving
6) The crowd has no idea that a show didn't go according to plan. My 4/10 execution was their 10/10 experience. Don't sweat it so much during planning and trying to be a perfectionist, they love it either way.

For the cue sheet falling apart and resorting to memory and dealing with missed modules, I am pretty proud of the outcome. I planned a 10 minute show 1 minute finale. I got about a 9 minute show and a 1 minute finale.

Full show:
https://youtu.be/9Wm5NjgpvVU

Video from the crowd perspective
Finale:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brl_ukgK298CCWg29NZu71q4RPReXRSq

Noab Section and some mortar work:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bFNmHQ65RgaSr5kGkcWsFg0xDy_xO-MW

Some Zipper action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bm_y88YgLvIMnp8fobs2eyXpkeApPR4g

Some more zipper action:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SHoxOjHNZ_kRcT4mbl58Dto5gbVwlrlW
Setup:

Walt
07-06-2022, 12:09 PM
And for those who are interested, here is the drone footage from last year. This was all hand fired, with the exception of the finale around 3:30 that was fast fused can shells. My camera people always love to film the wrong angle so it's even more sky pukey than it it really was. Nice ball of sun though!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gehg9fdI2n23mAkZmCiEYiidIQSq3rS9

ssmith512
07-06-2022, 01:40 PM
Respect. I would have NEVER tried to do a show like that, by myself, with a non-programmable firing system.

You did VERY well under the circumstances!

Jay_
07-06-2022, 05:18 PM
That was a great show Walt! You kept it rolling throughout and really good products in there. The Bilusocn firing systems are awesome. I had one with 312 cues that I wish I hadn't gotten rid of. The best thing about them is that you do not have to worry about any dark sky in your script. Your script in your index finger hitting the button and rolling the drum to select the next area on the controller.

I just posted in another thread about first show woes, but yes we all go through it. Every one of us has underestimated how much time it takes to do x task. The key is to do everything that you possibly can before you get to the site.

I remember my first pyromusical where the only pre-work that I did was fuse my mortar rack and poke all of my cakes. I about had a heat and stress stroke on several occasions that day spending all of 15 hours on a hill setting up the show. I learned from that, and you already have as well.

Birdman
07-08-2022, 12:36 PM
Nice show. It's so hard to remember what buttons were pressed on those import systems. I did a 10 cue show once and still lost track. Only you would know what didn't go as planned and clearly the show was enjoyed by all.

Engineer Cat
07-10-2022, 02:14 AM
All those issues with knowing what was pressed and remembering which bank you are on is when I realized I can't really do what I want with it. But I script to music. The system works well for how you are using it.

Mattp
07-10-2022, 09:51 PM
Hey man great show “ohhh it’s not done”… HAHAHA!! That’s great,, a little black sky can definitely build anticipation,,, and yep,, I’ve had the same issues with manual pressing,, and time of setup,, every single year is a learning curve,, you had a few really nice products in there I’d be interested in finding out what they were