PDA

View Full Version : Small Daytime Gender Reveal Show Video

Birdman
06-27-2022, 06:29 PM
I was asked to do a small gender reveal show for my niece this past spring. The challenges were small budget, very limited space and it needed to be shot during the day. I was also asked to avoid getting debris in any of the neighbor's yards. The last challenge was that I was one of only two people that knew the gender so I was tasked with keeping that a secret, even from my wife. I wasn't even 100% sure I was doing the show until I got the text with the gender a couple of weeks prior to the party. So I only had about 2 weeks to throw it together.

Because of the limitations smoke was an obvious choice. I didn't want to count on fountains being clearly visible but the one I added was able to be seen in person. It's barely visible in the video though. Figured I could safely fire some crackling mine shells for some pop. For the finale I used a few small pearl cakes. I knew I was pushing things with a shooting star candle barrage because they don't always shoot completely vertical. I was going to fire 2 but pulled one from the mod just before the show because of space concerns. The one that I did fire had a couple of stars go astray but did no harm. In hindsight I should have pulled both or went with more traditional roman candles. The only reason I used them at all was because I had a couple of extra of these around. Some of the smoke bombs I used were very inconsistent in performance so that was bit frustrating to me.

All in all I think it went fairly well. The fireworks were much more visible in person.

https://vimeo.com/724549132

Engineer Cat
06-27-2022, 11:26 PM
This turned out great. Love the suspense in the beginning. You know you did a good job when they started jumping and hugging each other when the pink was revealed. I did the same with my bro in laws gender reveal. Did a small 3 min show then revealed the gender. There's a link to it in my signature. Knowing the gender before everyone else was nerve racking. I actually didn't know till the day off so I brought both color fireworks and smoke. And the blue smoke cans got on my hands when setting up and would of gave it away when I went inside to wash up so I opened the pink one and smeared it all together so my hands were purple when I went inside. LOL they were all like "let me see your hands". LOL was a great night.

My only concern is your Cobra firing module sitting on the edge of the pool PRECARIOUSLY. LOL

Birdman
06-28-2022, 11:56 AM
This turned out great. Love the suspense in the beginning. You know you did a good job when they started jumping and hugging each other when the pink was revealed. I did the same with my bro in laws gender reveal. Did a small 3 min show then revealed the gender. There's a link to it in my signature. Knowing the gender before everyone else was nerve racking. I actually didn't know till the day off so I brought both color fireworks and smoke. And the blue smoke cans got on my hands when setting up and would of gave it away when I went inside to wash up so I opened the pink one and smeared it all together so my hands were purple when I went inside. LOL they were all like "let me see your hands". LOL was a great night.

My only concern is your Cobra firing module sitting on the edge of the pool PRECARIOUSLY. LOL

I watched your video a couple times and almost used "Lady" after the reveal. Reveals are fun because they add an extra level of excitement to a show and the audience is really focused. But they also come with a bit more responsibility to make sure the reveal has that surprise factor. I had the same issue with powder and had to make sure I cleaned any traces of it during prep and setup. The other issue I had was that I kept whistling "girls just want to have fun". The damn song was stuck in my head for weeks. Did it once with a bunch of family around. Caught myself rather quickly but still can't believe no one put 2 and 2 together, especially my wife.

I really didn't know where to go with the remote. I usually have some place safe to set it in front of me or just hold it in case I need to stop the show. But I wanted to be ready to do the streamer cannon we picked up as a backup to the fireworks. They were going to be used for the reveal if we had bad weather but we just handed a couple out before the show and told everyone to follow my lead to know when they could let them rip. I wanted to make sure everyone could see when I did mine. My wife and I have had a few good chuckles watching me in the video. Every time we watch it I say "I can't believe you married that dork".....lol.

Engineer Cat
06-28-2022, 12:04 PM
I kept whistling "girls just want to have fun".

LMAO

Yea that's the worst part about putting shows together. Working on the concept video over and over and over and the songs get stuck in your head when trying to sleep or pretty much when doing anything. LOL