PDA

View Full Version : Making explosives FPS-Russia

displayfireworks1
06-23-2022, 08:18 PM
I was reading an old story about YouTuber Kyle Meyers aka FPS-Russia. When the ATF raided his farm , more than once I believe, I also wondered on what grounds. He apparently did not have an ATF license. I remember thinking you do not need an ATF license to make explosives for your own use. But there is always a twist to that statement. I found a quote from a newspaper at the time. Actually when they did bust him it was not for explosives , it was for something called Butane Honey a form of marijuana. It still accomplished the ATF goal because of that charge he is forbidden to possess firearms.
Here is the ATF person quote from the news paper. Do you see the lose connection that made away from the statement :You do not need an ATF license to make explosives for your own use" Who wants to explain?
A person is required to obtain a federal explosives manufacturing license if they intend to engage in the business of manufacturing explosives for sale, distribution or for their own business, XXX said.The ATF believed that Myers was violating this law."The claim is that he was using explosives and getting paid for it via YouTube," XXXX said

Arclight
06-24-2022, 02:30 PM
ATF has been more strict in interpreting "commercial use" in the last few years. For instance, a blaster I know used to take 1.1D product to training, seminars, etc. on the basis that it was 1. Not being done for hire and 2. Not for sale. He eventually got told (not sure if DOT or ATF first) that because it would promote his business they considered it "in commerce."

displayfireworks1
06-24-2022, 08:00 PM
The ATF told me a similar story about a farmer that for some reason either had to blast a new well water supply or get an established one going again. They told him he needed an ATF license to make explosives because the water in turn would feed his cattle and he sells the cattle for profit.
Without mentioning their name, I told this same story to someone that is occasionally called upon as an expert witness in explosive and/or pyro matters. This person told me that was the biggest bunch of BS they ever heard.
However it will apparently as in the FPS-Russia case, that type of loose connection to business did at least get them a search warrant. I think the ATF knew that same loose connection may fall apart in a trial, so they went with the marijuana charge.
He needed stopped because the licensed firearms dealer that was supplying him with all of these exotic weapons ended up murdered. That murder may still be unsolved. I doubt the ATF will go on a witch hunt without cause. They usually don’t waste their time on BS.

6afraidof7
06-28-2022, 12:25 PM
Sounds similar to the rabbit hole of earning a profit from Youtube videos translating to potentially being commerce transactions...

chris v
07-07-2022, 07:51 AM
There was a kid( I use kid loosely as someone who appears to be younger than me) on YouTube ciphercraft, that was making fireworks and i saw a few of his videos he was mixing chems and was using a candle as a heat source. I gave him warning that that will end badly if he continues to do so and also the legality of making fireworks on YouTube. Then a few months later I noticed he stopped posting and looked at his community post and he said he is having some legal issues.