PDA

View Full Version : Script testing epiphany

Engineer Cat
06-19-2022, 10:44 PM
I was testing out my script tonight and realized I have sections in the script that rely on one cake to be going off until the next cue fires. If for some reason those cakes don't go off I will end up with black sky for a significant period of time.

Since I have all 48 cues scripted on the 2 Firelinx mods, I'm thinking the easiest thing to do is to add my old MS12 and use 3 cues with a few 200g 16 shot cakes as a backup. If need be I can just reach in my pocket and fire those channels. I could try to free up 3 pins on the Firelinx and if need be just manual fire them while the script is running but I don't think I want to deal with making those changes to the script right now being I have everything labeled and poked.

Anyone else use their old systems side by side with their pro systems?

schmidlapp
06-19-2022, 11:05 PM
I think that's a great idea, in fact I'm going to set up a 4 cue Chinese system with 4 200g cakes

Jay_
06-20-2022, 06:52 AM
The first year that I shot a cobra show, I did use a Chinese system to add a little body to the show. It just is a bummer that you have to remember to hit the buttons, but if you are basically using it as an alternate button, then you just have to remember to hit it in your finale, so it should work pretty good.

These days I use what I call “cover cakes” that come in with a single effect or something else that is starting in an area that I feel a little thin in. While it does add a little mess to the show at times, it works pretty good.

I also use several alternate cakes in my script that if not used they are scripted to go off during the finale.

displayfireworks1
06-20-2022, 06:49 PM
The way you have that Firelinx equipment set up looks cool

Engineer Cat
06-21-2022, 01:17 AM
Thanks Dave. I'll be taking pictures and videos of this years setup. It's a much smaller show than a lot of these crazy bastards on here. LOL

I can't wait to see what everybody put together this year. There's been a lot of posts on what everyone is working on so I think there's going to be some great videos and stories on July 5th.

Birdman
06-21-2022, 12:39 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll be taking pictures and videos of this years setup. It's a much smaller show than a lot of these crazy bastards on here. LOL

I can't wait to see what everybody put together this year. There's been a lot of posts on what everyone is working on so I think there's going to be some great videos and stories on July 5th.

Well I currently have a bit of an dilemma with my 4th show. I shoot on the shoreline of a lake while me and my audience is out in boats. Turns out we don't have nearly enough boats this year to get everyone offshore. About the furthest away I can get everyone is about 50-75 feet tops. The viewing areas would not only be closer than I like but also at bad angles. Not to mention my sound system is small and will likely get drown out being so close to ground zero. Still trying figure something out but at this point the choices are scraping the show completely or just manually firing some of the smaller vertical stuff without music. Right now I'm thinking of scrapping the show because I'm more than a little frustrated with the boat situation.

Engineer Cat
06-21-2022, 02:10 PM
Well I currently have a bit of an dilemma with my 4th show. I shoot on the shoreline of a lake while me and my audience is out in boats. Turns out we don't have nearly enough boats this year to get everyone offshore. About the furthest away I can get everyone is about 50-75 feet tops. The viewing areas would not only be closer than I like but also at bad angles. Not to mention my sound system is small and will likely get drown out being so close to ground zero. Still trying figure something out but at this point the choices are scraping the show completely or just manually firing some of the smaller vertical stuff without music. Right now I'm thinking of scrapping the show because I'm more than a little frustrated with the boat situation.

That is frustrating. Is it possible someone on the lake has a dock that you guys can float out there and anchor? Keep the people and the PA on land and move the fireworks out to the dock in the water?

Birdman
06-21-2022, 03:35 PM
That is frustrating. Is it possible someone on the lake has a dock that you guys can float out there and anchor? Keep the people and the PA on land and move the fireworks out to the dock in the water?

No one in the area has a floating dock. We often talked about building a swimming platform that could be used to shoot the fireworks from too but we're all getting older and lazier. I'll fire this show at some other time and/or some other place before I change things at this point.

Sassy Hatter OZFL
06-22-2022, 11:57 AM
6 55 Gallon barrells will float a 8x8 platform, cinder blocks on rope each corner if shallow enough a chain link fence post on either side in a collar like a po man's power pole. I tested this in the gulf and I would feel comfortable using ot for mortars up to 3 or 4, but I hesitate to use cakes or fountains on docks due to fire risk.

Birdman
06-22-2022, 12:38 PM
6 55 Gallon barrells will float a 8x8 platform, cinder blocks on rope each corner if shallow enough a chain link fence post on either side in a collar like a po man's power pole. I tested this in the gulf and I would feel comfortable using ot for mortars up to 3 or 4, but I hesitate to use cakes or fountains on docks due to fire risk.

Easier said than done. I would also be concerned with cakes as I've had many catch fire. Easier just to find another site to shoot at IMO.

R. Derrick
06-22-2022, 01:18 PM
I bought 2 older modules with another receiver for this puprose alone! lol It is older firmware, but and won't talk with my current system but I have it as back up so I don't have to worry about using the dummy switch (or firing additional cues from the remote that is also controlling the show)

Great idea if you ask me!

Salutecake
06-22-2022, 06:19 PM
I use 4 barrels per dock to fire 3" and 4" works great.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-22-2022, 08:06 PM
I know it's probably too late in the game; and probably not financially feasible on such short notice; but my buddy bought 3 old pontoon boats for his show. He chopped the tops off of them so they're basically nothing but floating platforms. He builds his show on 2'x8' boards and loads them up on the boats. Floats them out on the lake. Done. If the boards catch fire (and they always do) it's no biggie. Won't get hot enough to hurt the boat floor. Something to ponder for next year maybe.

Birdman
06-23-2022, 12:13 PM
I know it's probably too late in the game; and probably not financially feasible on such short notice; but my buddy bought 3 old pontoon boats for his show. He chopped the tops off of them so they're basically nothing but floating platforms. He builds his show on 2'x8' boards and loads them up on the boats. Floats them out on the lake. Done. If the boards catch fire (and they always do) it's no biggie. Won't get hot enough to hurt the boat floor. Something to ponder for next year maybe.

We had a pontoon boat that was rotting out, engine issue etc. We were going to use it as a swimming/fireworks platform. The main issue was winter storage. The lake freezes solid enough to drive on it in the winter and during the spring thaw the property typically floods. Big sheets or even large chunks of ice can easily crush a pontoon or send the boat adrift when the ice breaks up in the spring. Anything left out needs to get on high ground which is limited. This is one of the reasons we haven't built a platform. It's just too much hassle for the minimal use it would get. We use to pay someone to dry dock the pontoon boat every winter but when it has no working motor it's a lot more work or expense to get it in and out each year. It would be far cheaper in the short term just to rent another boat as the others have done in the past. I refuse to do it. The deal always was everyone chips in. My parents supply the property and feeds everyone, the others supplied the boats while I put on the fireworks show. I nearly cancelled the show last year when we were down a pontoon boat and it didn't look like we could get everyone on the available boats. I kept telling everyone all day as I set up the show that they need to figure out how we get everyone on the water. Come show time they still hadn't figured it out and their answer was leaving some on shore. I wasn't having it out of safety concerns. At that point they figured out how to get everyone in boats.

This year the neighbor is not putting in his speedboat because gas is too expensive and it's too much work. The one person who was always in charge of renting the pontoon boat backed out again this year and none of the others are interested in renting one because of the costs (less people to split it with) and hassles involved. I'm not making any more sacrifices in money, time, effort if no one else is willing to. Frankly, I don't really do the show for them. I ultimately do it for me so I can either do the show elsewhere at another time or I can do it when there's a smaller audience that will fit in the one small available fishing boat.

Sorry for the rant but the whole situation has me frustrated. I will be seeing most everyone involved this weekend at a different family gathering. I will be informing them that at this point there will be no show. I'm hoping maybe that changes some minds but it may be too late.

Engineer Cat
06-23-2022, 03:09 PM
I get it. I would be frustrated as well. No one recognizes how much of an effort you're putting in and the cost involved and all they have to do is figure out how to get out to the viewing area.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2022, 04:33 PM
Sorry for the rant but the whole situation has me frustrated. I will be seeing most everyone involved this weekend at a different family gathering. I will be informing them that at this point there will be no show. I'm hoping maybe that changes some minds but it may be too late.

No apology necessary. I totally get it. For many of those same reasons my show this year will be my last. No one wants to help put it together. I have exactly 1 neighbor who gives me $100 every year. No one else ever even offers, My buddy from the military and two neighbors are the only people who show up on the 4th to help me set up the show, even though my house is packed with adults who show up at 9pm to watch the show.

I could go on but you get the point. I'm done. I just don't have the energy or desire to do this to myself another year. I'll keep going to the PGI conventions to get my pyro fix, and that will have to do. Besides... With $5K extra in my pocket every year, I can start to build my guitar collection. :cool:

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2022, 04:33 PM
I get it. I would be frustrated as well. No one recognizes how much of an effort you're putting in and the cost involved and all they have to do is figure out how to get out to the viewing area.

Exactly right.

R. Derrick
06-24-2022, 07:38 AM

I feel ya on this... I haven't been doing it long but I can imagine the frustrations - I hope that I can always feel like, I'm doing it for me not for them, but after being let down time and time again - that'll weigh on ya, for sure.

No apology necessary. I totally get it. For many of those same reasons my show this year will be my last. No one wants to help put it together. I have exactly 1 neighbor who gives me $100 every year. No one else ever even offers, My buddy from the military and two neighbors are the only people who show up on the 4th to help me set up the show, even though my house is packed with adults who show up at 9pm to watch the show.

I could go on but you get the point. I'm done. I just don't have the energy or desire to do this to myself another year. I'll keep going to the PGI conventions to get my pyro fix, and that will have to do. Besides... With $5K extra in my pocket every year, I can start to build my guitar collection. :cool:

Oh no! Your last? I've enjoyed watching your shows - so I hope you do a "fake cancel" just claim you aren't doing one, and put on a small one for your close friends? Either way, I would be frustrated too. I want to go to PGI too - I've not been yet.

BMoore
06-24-2022, 09:29 AM
For me, just knowing that hundreds of people come out for something that I do is enough to keep me going. Seeing smiles on kids faces or having a total stranger seek me out to shake my hand is the only payment I need. I hope I always feel that way. I hate to see it when a hobby advances to the point where it feels like a chore instead of a passion. Instead of throwing in the towel entirely, I'd suggest re-evaluating to see where it became too much and try to dial it back to re-achieve that level of satisfaction.

Birdman
06-24-2022, 11:27 AM
I figured if anyone would understand it would be the gang here. I've mentioned it before but where I shoot is a logistics nightmare. Other than that and being a little tight on space, it's a wonderful site on the water. BMoore, the one thing I have done with my fireworks hobby is try not to turn it into a chore. All of the extra logistics hassle means a lot of time, energy and even some extra expense that could otherwise be put to better use. Last year I pushed my limits on time and effort and that's part of the reason I scaled back this year. I think I may have swung the pendulum too far the other way this year but I'd rather that then always pushing my limits and getting burnt out.

I'm waiting for the calls to change my show so I would be comfortable with everyone being on dry land. I could probably do that, and likely will next year, but I want to see this show shot the way I imagined it.

Engineer Cat
06-24-2022, 12:49 PM
Why don't you tell those people who can't fit on a boat to get these. :p

Birdman
06-24-2022, 01:30 PM
Why don't you tell those people who can't fit on a boat to get these. :p

LOL...I think was 2 years ago there was a giant sized one of these floating randomly around the lake. People would move it around different parts of the lake and post pictures of it on FB.

We do have a paddle boat and one kayak (had two but spring flooding claimed one). The problem is finding people that aren't afraid to paddle out to the middle of lake when it's dark. Even my wife reluctantly gets on a boat. I've had explain to some how silly they sound saying they feel safer with explosives going off near them then getting on a boat in the dark. The first year I did a "big show" my parents and wife insisted they were staying on shore. I fought them pretty hard on this but gave in. All three have gone on boats since then.

Not sure I ever posted this before but here is the video of that finale my wife shot from the one dock. She almost jumped in the lake when the racks started to fire.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/435874888

I should add that by the time the show starts on the 4th most of audience have had their fair share to drink so I'm not dealing with the most rational people.

BMoore
06-24-2022, 05:03 PM
I figured if anyone would understand it would be the gang here. I've mentioned it before but where I shoot is a logistics nightmare. Other than that and being a little tight on space, it's a wonderful site on the water. BMoore, the one thing I have done with my fireworks hobby is try not to turn it into a chore. All of the extra logistics hassle means a lot of time, energy and even some extra expense that could otherwise be put to better use. Last year I pushed my limits on time and effort and that's part of the reason I scaled back this year. I think I may have swung the pendulum too far the other way this year but I'd rather that then always pushing my limits and getting burnt out.

I'm waiting for the calls to change my show so I would be comfortable with everyone being on dry land. I could probably do that, and likely will next year, but I want to see this show shot the way I imagined it.

I totally get it. Honestly, shooting from land while putting everyone on boats just sounds like a nightmare. It's usually the other way around! It is a neat concept though. I'm really at the point where I'm doing all I can do by myself. I do have a reliable helper but I always plan as if he isn't going to be there. This is supposed to be for fun so I'm not going to force anyone to do anything if something comes up. My goal from year to year now is better scripting and theming. Better, not bigger in other words. I keep saying one of these years I'm going to go full on retro and do a 100% hand lit safe & sane show like when I got started in this. I actually think it would be kind of neat but I'm too chicken to actually try it.

Birdman
06-24-2022, 06:17 PM
I totally get it. Honestly, shooting from land while putting everyone on boats just sounds like a nightmare. It's usually the other way around! It is a neat concept though. I'm really at the point where I'm doing all I can do by myself. I do have a reliable helper but I always plan as if he isn't going to be there. This is supposed to be for fun so I'm not going to force anyone to do anything if something comes up. My goal from year to year now is better scripting and theming. Better, not bigger in other words. I keep saying one of these years I'm going to go full on retro and do a 100% hand lit safe & sane show like when I got started in this. I actually think it would be kind of neat but I'm too chicken to actually try it.

Getting people on boats is the easy part. The hard part is getting to the shoot site. It's 6 hrs away and you can't drive to the site. Everything either needs to be boated in or carried up/down about 2 steps. Then there's limited storage space.

I was initially thinking of skipping the pyromusical this year and just doing sequences of effects that I could step script. But I was going to use a lot of AOP and when that became hard to get it put the end to that idea. I will probably at least revisit that idea next year.

Birdman
06-24-2022, 07:54 PM
That's 200 steps....not 2

Engineer Cat
06-26-2022, 12:51 AM
Not sure I ever posted this before but here is the video of that finale my wife shot from the one dock. She almost jumped in the lake when the racks started to fire.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/435874888

I should add that by the time the show starts on the 4th most of audience have had their fair share to drink so I'm not dealing with the most rational people.

That was a perfect finish! Similar to what I'm attempting this year.

Birdman
06-26-2022, 10:05 AM
I used a step script to fire that sequence. Here's the (cobra) script:

STEP 0 8 Whistling Dixie x3 (Left Fast Fused)
00:00.00s 2 7 Whistling Dixie x3 (Right Fast Fused)
STEP 0 9 Gorilla Warfare (Left)
00:00.00s 2 8 Gorilla Warfare (Right)
STEP 0 10 Confrontation (Left)
00:00.00s 2 9 Confrontation (Right)
STEP 1 15 20 Smoke N Mirrors Shells (Center MCR)
00:00.00s 0 11 8 Smoke N Mirrors Shells (Left 10s Rack)
00:00.00s 2 10 8 Smoke N Mirrors Shells (Right 10s Rack)
STEP 1 16 5 Nishiki Shells (Center MCR Series Wired)
00:00.00s 0 12 2 Nishiki Shells (Left 10s Rack Parallel Wired)
00:00.00s 2 11 2 Nishiki Shells (Right 10s Rack Parallel Wired)

As I've mentioned before the 5th Nishiki shell in MCR series didn't fire.

I've been tempted to duplicate this every year since but end up opting to try something different or putting more resources into other parts of the show. This year I was trying reduce the amount of 500g cakes and use more 200g's.

PYRODAN
06-30-2022, 03:13 PM

I almost bought an old pontoon boat a couple of years ago for that very reason. But I decided that was a little much for a 3 acre pond.

PYRODAN
06-30-2022, 03:14 PM

I almost bought an old pontoon boat a couple of years ago for that very reason. But I decided that was a little much for a 3 acre pond. Howdy Rick! When you moving to Ohio?

Rick_In_Tampa
06-30-2022, 04:56 PM
I almost bought an old pontoon boat a couple of years ago for that very reason. But I decided that was a little much for a 3 acre pond. Howdy Rick! When you moving to Ohio?

Hey there Dan! Long time no type. Hope all is well with you and yours. It's not very likely that I will ever move back to Ohio. We have too many family members up there that can't stand us, and vice versa. I love Ohio. Love perch fishing on Lake Erie and Steelhead fishing in the Grand River. But doing either as a local resident is just not in the cards.