PDA

View Full Version : Big n Bad is the best bang for your buck firework

upNdown
06-15-2022, 08:39 PM
Prove me wrong!

With all the price increases this year, this cake has stuck around $18, at least in my two favorite stores. And this 12 shot 200 grammer really is big and bad. We shot a few things last night and I was just so impressed how well the big n bad held up to the shells. In fact, I think the big n bad breaks were better than the generic ball shells (which were a bargain at $20 for a 12 pack) and though they weren’t quite as impressive as the cans, at $1.50 per shot vs $4-$5 per shot, they easily win.

Here’s a video -
1. Mobile menace
2. Big n Bad
3. 5 ball shells with a couple of mines and comets mixed in
4. 3 raccoon Mother of all Fireworks then 2 raccoon Holy Nishiki

https://youtu.be/WCaM80GcFOg

Engineer Cat
06-16-2022, 01:21 AM
That is real nice for a 200g 12 shot at $18. I picked up this Neon Eagle 9 shot from Pyro Diablo. 200g $10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPHRtEiJKNA Not my video.

Also got this T Rex 9 shot 200g for $10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvVWknpjE5U Also not my video.

Birdman
06-16-2022, 09:50 AM
Big N bad is a nice cake but I also like Mobile Menace for it's multiple effects and low cost. It's hard to fit into a pyromusical. I was impressed with the timing when I put 3 in my first pyromusical. Haven't used a song it works with since. I almost used them for part of my finale this year but went with 12 Mr. Rex 9 shots instead, which is very similar T Rex.

jamisonlm3
06-16-2022, 10:08 AM
IMHO, the best deal or bang for your buck in consumer fireworks isn't a cake or box of shells or anything fancy like that. it's these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_n971IAT8). I can't think of anyting else that can even come close to how cheap they are and how long they last. I think just about every brand has their on version of them too.

Engineer Cat
06-16-2022, 04:44 PM
IMHO, the best deal or bang for your buck in consumer fireworks isn't a cake or box of shells or anything fancy like that. it's these (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc_n971IAT8). I can't think of anyting else that can even come close to how cheap they are and how long they last. I think just about every brand has their on version of them too.

Those things are great. I just found 4 of them in different boxes of novelty stuff I have from last year.

Jay_
06-16-2022, 05:31 PM
That pyro diablo stuff is top notch, right there with the hale stuff in terms of hotness IMO. I will say that the diablo 200g's are better than any hale 200 (that had a brand on it that is) that I've ever shot.

upNdown
06-16-2022, 05:50 PM
That is real nice for a 200g 12 shot at $18. I picked up this Neon Eagle 9 shot from Pyro Diablo. 200g $10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPHRtEiJKNA Not my video.

Also got this T Rex 9 shot 200g for $10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvVWknpjE5U Also not my video.

Yeah that Diablo cake is pretty great. I think it just goes to show that some of these 200 gram cakes are impressive, especially if you’re right under them.
I was just surprised that big n bad outperformed the ball shells. I know they’re not crazy impressive shells - I bought them to fill some tubes during sky-puke. But they’re still max size consumer balls (what is the 1.75” - they fit right in dr11 tubes) and they’re actually real ball shells too, not those fakey canister balls. But there’s Big n Bad, just as big and bad.

Birdman
06-16-2022, 05:57 PM
Yeah that Diablo cake is pretty great. I think it just goes to show that some of these 200 gram cakes are impressive, especially if you’re right under them.
I was just surprised that big n bad outperformed the ball shells. I know they’re not crazy impressive shells - I bought them to fill some tubes during sky-puke. But they’re still max size consumer balls (what is the 1.75” - they fit right in dr11 tubes) and they’re actually real ball shells too, not those fakey canister balls. But there’s Big n Bad, just as big and bad.

I was going to ask if you were sure they weren't fake ball shells.

upNdown
06-16-2022, 09:07 PM
Yeah, they were called Front Lines and I got them for $21 a couple of months ago - tough price to beat for a 12/pk these days.
And although I’ll say they’re definitely real 1.75 balls, I’d have to guess they’re definitely not 45g loads.

215less
06-17-2022, 09:50 AM

Hell yeah and can’t agree any more… love the little stuff, no need to worry about spectator distances, permits and costs. Fun and small FTW!!!!

upNdown
06-17-2022, 12:41 PM
Hell yeah and can’t agree any more… love the little stuff, no need to worry about spectator distances, permits and costs. Fun and small FTW!!!!

And that’s the way we’re going this year. Every year me and my buddy build a raft. Then on the fourth we fuse our boards and shells, launch the raft, carefully load all the stuff onto the raft, finish fusing everything, float the raft out to the right distance, and we usually get that raft anchored right about dusk.
We just decided it was too much work and we’re taking a year off. So this year it will be an afternoon of beer and smoke bombs and stupid novelties. And I’m actually excited.

Engineer Cat
06-17-2022, 04:04 PM
And that’s the way we’re going this year. Every year me and my buddy build a raft. Then on the fourth we fuse our boards and shells, launch the raft, carefully load all the stuff onto the raft, finish fusing everything, float the raft out to the right distance, and we usually get that raft anchored right about dusk.
We just decided it was too much work and we’re taking a year off. So this year it will be an afternoon of beer and smoke bombs and stupid novelties. And I’m actually excited.

Oh boy. This year my plan is to drag a 12 x 20 dock out to the middle of the water and anchor it. My buddy with the boat and the dock says it's easy. I don't think it will be easy like what you are saying but I'll let them worry about getting it out there after I have it wired up. Figures crossed. :D

morrison2951
06-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Big N bad is a nice cake but I also like Mobile Menace for it's multiple effects and low cost. It's hard to fit into a pyromusical. I was impressed with the timing when I put 3 in my first pyromusical. Haven't used a song it works with since. I almost used them for part of my finale this year but went with 12 Mr. Rex 9 shots instead, which is very similar T Rex.

Another vote for 200g Brothers Mobile Menace.... I use it pre-finale for its multiple effects as well.

blazerman
06-22-2022, 02:27 PM
Oh boy. This year my plan is to drag a 12 x 20 dock out to the middle of the water and anchor it. My buddy with the boat and the dock says it's easy. I don't think it will be easy like what you are saying but I'll let them worry about getting it out there after I have it wired up. Figures crossed. :D

We just did this last year for the first time, worked great! Word to the wise though - consider the logistics of getting water out to the raft to spray the stuff down. We did about 50 cakes and had one hell of a fire on the raft after the show without much of a plan, had to do buckets off a boat and it wasn't fun. This year we will have deck sprayers full of water at the ready.

Engineer Cat
06-22-2022, 05:34 PM
We just did this last year for the first time, worked great! Word to the wise though - consider the logistics of getting water out to the raft to spray the stuff down. We did about 50 cakes and had one hell of a fire on the raft after the show without much of a plan, had to do buckets off a boat and it wasn't fun. This year we will have deck sprayers full of water at the ready.

Yea I was thinking we can get a small water pump like a 300 GPH and power it from the boat battery and connect a hose and nozzle to it. I'm going to need something that I can aim with a bit of precision to avoid the 2 modules that will be sitting on the dock as well. They will be in waterproof cases but I still want to avoid spraying them if I can. At least I can power down the modules remotely after the show so if water does get in the case it doesn't short the module out.