PDA

View Full Version : Fan Rack Fail

Schooter4
06-13-2022, 08:29 AM
I was testing a fan rack being fired simultaneously using 2 cobra breakout boards. The system worked great, but I am guessing to many explosions all at once caused them not to lift. I want to use this type of effect for my 4th of July show. Any ideas on how to make it work?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPpw_77mN4[/VIDEO]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPpw_77mN4

BMoore
06-13-2022, 09:01 AM
Give us some more details. I can't tell from the video what exactly failed other than a single flowerpot or very low break. Did the other shells in the rack fire? Did the rack hold together? Were you using talons or initiators and how were they connected to the shells? Too many explosions at once had nothing to do with this.

Schooter4
06-13-2022, 09:45 AM
I was attempting to shoot 5 Excals for a high break and 3 balls shells for a lower effect break. I was hoping for a layered fan effect. Yes the rack held together. I used MJG's and poked each shell. I am not sure why it didn't work.

Mattp
06-13-2022, 10:15 PM
Still have a few questions,, did they all go off?? On the ground?? In the video only saw one,, then it looks like it went into some cakes ..to me looks like a flowerpot ,, either a defective shell?? Maybe wet lift charge, or wrong size tube ?? Hard to tell from the vid,, but what you want to do shouldn’t be a problem at all ,, make sure you mjg wire is tied off good so it doesnt tug on the module when fired

Engineer Cat
06-14-2022, 11:39 AM
I was attempting to shoot 5 Excals for a high break and 3 balls shells for a lower effect break. I was hoping for a layered fan effect. Yes the rack held together. I used MJG's and poked each shell. I am not sure why it didn't work.

It's hard to see what exactly is going on in the video. From your description it sounds pretty straight forward. 8 Tubes in a fan pattern with 5 excals and 3 ball shells. Did all 8 shells have their own cues on the cobra or did you try some sort of parallel or series wiring?

Also answering Bmoore and Mattp's question could help solve the problem.

I never poke shells I just open the lift charge cap and put the initiator in there and add some tape to close it up. Never have a problem with wires getting pulled this way.

Schooter4
06-14-2022, 05:17 PM
Still have a few questions,, did they all go off?? On the ground?? In the video only saw one,, then it looks like it went into some cakes ..to me looks like a flowerpot ,, either a defective shell?? Maybe wet lift charge, or wrong size tube ?? Hard to tell from the vid,, but what you want to do shouldn’t be a problem at all ,, make sure you mjg wire is tied off good so it doesnt tug on the module when fired

Yes, they did all ignite and left out of the tube and went maybe 10-20 feet in the air only. I used MJG wired and poked them by the fuse. I someone commented on my video to not poke them but to cut a hole in the left charge and then place the ignitor.

Schooter4
06-14-2022, 05:20 PM
It's hard to see what exactly is going on in the video. From your description it sounds pretty straight forward. 8 Tubes in a fan pattern with 5 excals and 3 ball shells. Did all 8 shells have their own cues on the cobra or did you try some sort of parallel or series wiring?

Also answering Bmoore and Mattp's question could help solve the problem.

I never poke shells I just open the lift charge cap and put the initiator in there and add some tape to close it up. Never have a problem with wires getting pulled this way.

I had them on two breakout boards. The 18m I used has a lipo. Everything did fire. Next time I will open the lift charge.