PDA

View Full Version : single shot rack for dissected cakes

Engineer Cat
06-09-2022, 10:57 PM
Unfortunately I was not able to get any AOP this year with the availability issues and costs etc. Even though it would of been my first year being able to buy AOP products thanks to Dave's AOP cert, I had to go old school. Particularly I wanted some single shot comets that I could setup so they cross each other when shot to emphasize a few parts of the music I'm trying to sync to. I happened to end up with 2 cakes that were the same just rewrapped. Saturday Night Special and Neutron Bomb. Both Brothers cakes. I believe there is a 3rd rewrapped product called The New Yorker salute final that PyroFL had pointed out in another thread. Anyway the first 6 shots of these cakes are comets so I pulled the first 6 tubes and put together a simple rack with spare wood I had around to hold them down. It's really nothing special but it could be useful for new peeps trying the same thing. 3 tubes will be mounted to each one and pointed toward each other from opposite ends of the dock I'll be shooting from. I pre drilled holes in the legs so I can put screws through them and into the dock to secure them.

Jordan0885
06-10-2022, 12:02 AM
I like the design. Nice and simple, easy to attach the tubes, no over complicating it, which I end up doing sometimes on more simple items. Think it comes from being a cabinetmaker and having access to all the tools you end up wanting to use them. Haha, but I think I'll use this design as there's a part in my show I want to shoot some comets the same way you are.

Engineer Cat
06-10-2022, 12:20 AM
I like the design. Nice and simple, easy to attach the tubes, no over complicating it, which I end up doing sometimes on more simple items. Think it comes from being a cabinetmaker and having access to all the tools you end up wanting to use them. Haha, but I think I'll use this design as there's a part in my show I want to shoot some comets the same way you are.

Embarrassing. I used a sawzall to cut the wood and a step bit to countersink screws. :rolleyes: LMAO. I have a feeling yours will have dove tails and finished edges!

Birdman
06-10-2022, 08:37 AM
Are they small enough to drop into a tube? That's what I prefer to do with these if they fit. I have 10 shot racks and if they can't fit in the tubes I will pull tubes out and just secure them to the rack in some fashion. My 10 shot racks have probably been used to fire more single shot stuff then shells.

PyroWalker
06-10-2022, 09:39 AM
Are they small enough to drop into a tube? That's what I prefer to do with these if they fit. I have 10 shot racks and if they can't fit in the tubes I will pull tubes out and just secure them to the rack in some fashion. My 10 shot racks have probably been used to fire more single shot stuff then shells.

This is what I do as well, unless there is a specific angle at which they have to be fired.

Birdman
06-10-2022, 12:22 PM
This is what I do as well, unless there is a specific angle at which they have to be fired.

I angle my racks if needed but everything on the rack will obviously need to fire at the same angle.

Rocketshooter
06-10-2022, 01:31 PM
That's what we did before all of the 1.4S was available. You tore apart cakes and repurposed tubes for the effect you wanted.

Engineer Cat
06-10-2022, 05:55 PM

Yea they would fit in tubes but the way my racks are built it was easier to just make these real quick. I'll be building racks for such items for next year with some of those tubes that my have been compromised by the UV rays.

I also realized I was under utilizing the first fan cake in my show. I'm now wiring those fan slices up separately and spreading them out over the time. I think it will make a big difference. Working on changing the script tonight after bowling league. I already made the changes to the concept video so I just have to redo the times and cues.