View Full Version : Mortar tube bucket “rack”

upNdown
06-06-2022, 10:30 AM
Apologies if this seems like trolling, but it seems like it’s worth discussing. This guy has the biggest firework presence on YouTube (as far as I can tell) and he’s wildly irresponsible. It seems like maybe the community should be calling him out for it.
I understand that there’s a debate about milk crate racks. But is there ANYBODY who thinks this bucket is okay? And for what it’s worth, I’ve seen on previous videos, his method of removing the base from those fiberglass tubes is to hold the tube in one hand and whack the base with a hammer, repeatedly. Here, he’s jammed all those fiberglass tubes into a plastic bucket and called it good.
Here’s a link to this video; he explains the “rack” at about 1:20
https://youtu.be/gb_992BwON4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb_992BwON4

PyroWalker
06-06-2022, 11:08 AM
I find him annoying, safety concerns aside. I feel like a lot of his stuff has to be alcohol fueled ideas. But apparently he has such a big following that a brand gave him his own logos on some cakes. SMH....

Birdman
06-06-2022, 01:12 PM
What I don't understand is he has proper racks and even a cobra but yet he insists on putting out videos like this. My only guess is that he feels his main audience is very low budget thrill seekers so he is catering to them rather than educating his viewers.

BeerGuyEd
06-06-2022, 02:33 PM
He is a young guy making videos to his target audience. I am not sure if he fully grasps the full impact of his videos. I just hope he realizes what he has been doing and takes a more responsible approach before he gets someone killed.

Engineer Cat
06-06-2022, 03:09 PM
Like Birdman said, he does have racks but when he's shooting product to show the effects he is almost always using a bucket or milk crate. My guess is the racks are to heavy to constantly move around so he just throws the milk crate in the truck. It's usually just him and his camera guy when they are using those crates. I haven't seen him use one of those in an actual show but it's been said before on here, he's not really someone you want to get advice from.

As far as him owning a cobra, for the amount of video he puts out it would take some time to wire up all the product he purchases for "demo" videos. I'm not trying to defend him I just understand how much time it takes to wire up stuff.

jknepp1954
06-07-2022, 09:25 PM
Cody B? OMG - wheres the popcorn....

jamisonlm3
06-08-2022, 12:28 AM
What's the difference between dropping a bunch of mortars in a 5gal bucket vs a milk crate?

displayfireworks1
06-08-2022, 07:37 AM
I keep telling everyone Cody has the right idea for YouTube. Here is what I purchased. Here is what it looks like. Here is what it does when I light it. End of story, monetize the video. I wouldn’t get too hung up on mortars in buckets etc. Don’t be like that old Nag Gang from PyroU . They destroyed three websites with hate. Let Cody do whatever it is he does.

Birdman
06-08-2022, 11:52 AM
I'm a subscriber and regular viewer so I would actually call myself a fan of sorts. His firework demo videos are one thing. Like Dave said, "Here is what it does when I light it. End of story". I do think he could put out videos that are a bit more professional looking where he's not running with the camera and can get better videos of the effects but what he's doing is obviously working for him so who am I to question his production quality.

It's the videos where he does things like hand lighting damaged fireworks, hand lighting shells purposely loaded upside down, hand lighting shells placed on the ground etc. that I find questionable. I would call these stunt videos and not demo videos. I just believe that if you're going to call yourself a professional (as he has) the bar should be set a little higher. Like in the case of this video, there's no reason he needed to use that "bucket rack" or even have it be shown in the video. I just think there are times like this where he doesn't show enough respect to what could go wrong with what he's doing and that it could give his viewers a false sense of security.

wingman
06-08-2022, 12:49 PM
I keep telling everyone Cody has the right idea for YouTube. Here is what I purchased. Here is what it looks like. Here is what it does when I light it. End of story, monetize the video. I wouldn’t get too hung up on mortars in buckets etc. Don’t be like that old Nag Gang from PyroU . They destroyed three websites with hate. Let Cody do whatever it is he does.

You beat me to it, Dave. All the hate and gossip is toxic and is what turned me off of the other website. This site is still standing years later despite the trash talk from the other website, and that speaks volumes!

upNdown
06-08-2022, 02:20 PM

Fair point.

What's the difference between dropping a bunch of mortars in a 5gal bucket vs a milk crate?
From an academic perspective (because I respect what Dave said above, so I'm not gonna bash Cody) when I use a milk crate, I put a piece of MDF on the bottom, to keep the tubes from bouncing, I band the tubes together at the top, in hopes of keeping them together in case of disaster, and I use DR11, which should do a much better job of containing and disbursing energy, in case of disaster. Maybe I'm just whistling past the graveyard or putting lipstick on a pig, I don't know, but I've made the best efforts.

Engineer Cat
06-08-2022, 03:45 PM
Like Birdman said, he does have racks but when he's shooting product to show the effects he is almost always using a bucket or milk crate.

SO I take this back. I saw this video last night where he used something like 50 milk creates. He does mention that it wouldn't be good if one of those shells blew up in the tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXwCEUxEu6g

displayfireworks1
06-08-2022, 05:47 PM
Guys I am going to have to end the thread. Cody and what he does right and wrong can not be a subject on pyrotalk forums without it going in wrong directions. Let him be or make a comment on one of his videos. This pyrotechnic business is not always going to be done perfectly by YouTubers including me. Besides the most dangerous pyrotechnic person title has been bestowed upon me by Pyro Universe. Thus, unless I hear directly from them that Cody or someone else now has that distinguished title. Cody is not all that bad. LOL