PDA

View Full Version : I’m canceling my 4th of July party

Berserker23
05-24-2022, 04:22 PM
Well this year I’m canceling my party would’ve been the 10th anniversary since I started doing the big shows, the inflation is killing me I still have 12 cakes from last July, anyone else doing the same thing hopefully things will be better next year.

esgrillo
05-24-2022, 05:16 PM
Well I am not doing one this year either... original reason was not the cost but last kid graduating HS and busy summer schedule plus my helpers were in support of taking a year off since it really takes a lot of effort from a lot of people and a lot of $ too.

However considering the limited availability and crazy prices... it worked out to be a good year to skip. I have my show completely scripted by December and I would have expected the lack of product availability would have made that a nightmare as well.

I'll be back in the game for 2023 and music finalized

Jay_
05-24-2022, 05:22 PM
I still haven't placed my wholesale order yet...still on the fence about it. For example, a 2/1 case of sure bet in 2020 was $56.80 wholesale. Today that same 2/1 is bringing $106. Kind of sucks the fun right out of it.

I do have an entire show scripted but its not just the prices that are frustrating me, its the waiting game hoping that certain items that I already have scripted in actually arrive and are able to be bought.

I have bought some good stuff locally for prices that are in the ballpark of what I have paid the last couple of years but that, cannister shells, and my leftover single effects is all I have.

one thing that I know for sure is that If I do a show it will more than likely be pretty bare bones with as little product as possible. Paying $35-$90 each for consumer wholesale cakes is nuts.

PyroFL
05-25-2022, 05:48 AM
Before you cancel check your inbox

:-)

BMoore
05-25-2022, 10:17 AM
Just the opposite. My show will be slightly larger this year. My buy early and often when available strategy ends up leaving me with product I wouldn’t have ordinarily purchased. I’ve hit the stop button on 2022 purchases and am already allocating some of my consumer product to 2023. The cost and frustration of the past few years hurts but cancelling would be like cancelling Christmas if not worse.

RalphieJ
05-25-2022, 11:10 AM
On the positive side, hopefully there will be (at least at the 1.3 level) less sky puke and more intricate, artfully-timed shells.

Birdman
05-25-2022, 11:48 AM
I'm not cancelling but my show was greatly scaled down from my first script, which was also already scaled down. All of the supply issues and the price increases sort of sucked the fun out of it for me. So I just threw a half baked "budget" show together and got my order in before I decided to throw in the towel.

TheGimpCB
05-25-2022, 02:32 PM
Our family decided not to go on a big summer vacation so my wife said let's stay home and enjoy our house with family and friends this 4th. I started ordering wholesale in January since then the prices just keep going up. This year will be my biggest show. Huge Thank You to PyroFL

FWGuy
05-25-2022, 05:25 PM
No show this year for a few equal reasons: prices have gotten out of hand at 2x prior years, moving to a new home/selling existing one this summer that is getting extensively renovated (by me ;() so time is limited, and kids going off to internships and college...damn, real life does get in the way ;).

Tmaas77572
05-27-2022, 05:18 AM
This years show is a little smaller, but the investment in Cobra was mostly the reason behind that

rer07
05-27-2022, 12:54 PM
I had all intentions of canceling my 4th of July show this year however I was asked if I could do a fireworks show for a friends celebration of life that had passed away in January. After collecting money for his show and looking at the wholesale discount structures at several places I decide why not. So now both shows will be bigger than I have done in the passed and still have a lot left over to have a good start for next years show.

Kooooou
05-27-2022, 01:54 PM
Same here. Inflation hit us hard but wife also wants to spend 12K on something else so we are not doing our shoot this year and possibly the following year(s). Biggest factor was definitely the ever-increasing price of fireworks over the years and I've been shooting since the late 80's.

upNdown
05-27-2022, 04:45 PM
Does anybody really think prices will come down next year, or ever? That’s a serious question - I’m new to this industry and I’m no economics experts, I just feel like inflation is usually permanent.

Scotty Rockets
05-27-2022, 08:13 PM
I get paid for July 4th shows so the friends and family thing is just past memories nowadays. That said, I do have a show idea to do at my regional club this fall, that will feature a combination of DMX flames, fuel mines, mini lampares and a few golden effect fireworks.

displayfireworks1
05-27-2022, 08:58 PM
This years show is a little smaller, but the investment in Cobra was mostly the reason behind that

Thanks for bringing your budget decision choice with the Cobra up. I actually heard that mentioned over the years by multiple fireworks enthusiast on limited budgets. They will say it is either I spend that amount on fireworks or I will spend that amount on a Cobra. I am not sure who your audience is when you shoot. Get a person other than you to help solicit donations from friends and family in the couple of months before the July 4th holiday. If these people are enjoying your fireworks display every year , most of the time they will want to contribute and feel like they are part of the display.
Local communities that organize professional fireworks displays for their towns do this all the time. Send shout outs , advertising etc. You give it a try also only on a smaller scale.

joed2323
05-27-2022, 11:40 PM
Does anybody really think prices will come down next year, or ever? That’s a serious question - I’m new to this industry and I’m no economics experts, I just feel like inflation is usually permanent.

Im with you on that. Im convinced prices will never adjust to what it was say pre covid!

I hope im way wrong. Im even kicking around the idea of possibly selling my cobra system. Those case prices are through the roof and just ridiculous.

Lets face it. Our hobby is expensive enough as it is. It is getting more and more expensive just to put on a decent pyromusical. Once you shoot one, you just spoil the crap out of yourself and thats all you want to shoot...

I could not even imagine trying to put a pyromusical on at this point especially with how few selections of 1.4pro, comet/mine, single shot, slices, etc.

Supply and demand. I dont see how the prices could ever drop to what they were say 2 years ago!

Jay_
05-28-2022, 08:58 AM
Well I got off the fence and ordered.

For those of you looking for stuff, American got a 1.4 pro container or two and now has slices, comets, mines, and several other AOP's. From what I understand its first come first serve, so you probably want to get in there while you can if interested.

PyroGyro
05-31-2022, 06:12 PM
You want to cry? I'm looking at wholesale pricelist from 2020 and comparing that to the most recent list from the same dealer. In 2020 a case of Super Stunt was $92. Today it's $186. :eek:

jsifue2
05-31-2022, 09:12 PM
I skipped out on having a show last year and it was so much more enjoyable for me. No stressing about having everything set up, timing, cleanup etc.

Don't get me wrong, I still lit stuff and even put together a little finale; more of a casual shoot. I plan to do the same this year.

Birdman
06-01-2022, 01:14 PM
To touch on a few points made since my last post. The good news is that because I scaled back my show I didn't need to spend any of my budget this year on hardware (unless MJG's count). In fact I'll have a couple of modules and slats that will be collecting dust this year. I'm use to working with a small budget and have pulled off several small budget pyromusicals. Most would say all of my shows have been low budget. Of course they don't turn out like a big budget show with lots of AOP etc. But respectable none the less. In fact, one of my favorite shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mIiR1T3e8A) of mine was less than 2 minutes long and done on about $250 budget at retail prices. As I've said around here many times, it's not how big it is, it's how you use it!

My shows are for family & friends so I don't have the pressure of trying to impress a large audience. Also, because of that I don't want to solicit donations because it's something I like doing for them and myself. Everyone lends something to the event and fireworks just happens to be my contribution. Whenever someone mentions about the time and money I put into it I always tell them I would do it even if I was the only one there to watch the show.

I will say that it has been nice not having to deal with storing, moving and prepping a large amount of product. They all fit in one carload and I got the majority of my cakes poked and wired in a few hours last weekend. Last year was my biggest show and it was too much for me to handle by myself. Several mistakes were made, so bigger doesn't necessarily equate to better and some scaling back was going to be needed regardless.

I was going to take the year off and hope things change or allow me time to reset expectations. But then when I thought about the many much smaller shows that turned out just fine I decided to just roll with the punches. So far I'm glad I did but I won't know for sure until the show is over on the 4th. I suspect supply issues will wane in the next year or so but I'm not expecting prices to come down. However, I know I can always scale back and have a respectable show and that is much easier to do when you don't have limited options on the supply side. Worse case I sell off some hardware that is not needed. I figure I'll be able to make it work for at least several more years.

PyroWalker
06-01-2022, 02:47 PM
I had originally planned to do 2 shows this year. I have all of the fireworks and equipment to do 2 shows, but opted to save one for next year just in case. I imagine that some of the issues this year won't be any better by next year, and since I am paying more for gas and food, I will be on a stricter budget next year also. This will be my biggest show yet. Like others, it is just me, and I think it may be about my max for what I can manage without help.

Engineer Cat
06-01-2022, 07:06 PM
I had originally planned to do 2 shows this year. I have all of the fireworks and equipment to do 2 shows, but opted to save one for next year just in case. I imagine that some of the issues this year won't be any better by next year, and since I am paying more for gas and food, I will be on a stricter budget next year also. This will be my biggest show yet. Like others, it is just me, and I think it may be about my max for what I can manage without help.

Well you came to right place. This is the place for tips, tricks and pro knowledge when putting together shows on your own. Most of us here do it all ourselves. Some are lucky enough to get some helpers for setups but figuring out how the show is scripted and needs to be setup is usually a solo gig.

If you have any questions you can certainly get help here.

PyroWalker
06-02-2022, 07:50 AM
Well you came to right place. This is the place for tips, tricks and pro knowledge when putting together shows on your own. Most of us here do it all ourselves. Some are lucky enough to get some helpers for setups but figuring out how the show is scripted and needs to be setup is usually a solo gig.

If you have any questions you can certainly get help here.

Thanks so much for the welcome! I've been doing my own backyard shows for several years, actually much longer if you count the days as a kid setting up mini-shows for the family and playing with fuse to get it all together! I got into PyroMusicals last year and have finally expanded my Cobra collection to the point where I can shoot something I am proud to put on the internet! :D :D

minute_man777
06-04-2022, 08:49 PM
Was planning on placing a wholesale order from somewhere for my first time but decided against it due to many products being out of stock. Still took advantage of early discounts at local firework stores nearby. Now I'm planning on saving money for next years stash.

Fox One
06-06-2022, 10:53 PM
I probably wouldn't be doing much of a show this year either if it weren't for having a lot of product on hand from the good old pre-COVID days. I skipped having my July 4th party and shoot in 2020 because of COVID. I also didn't shoot last year because of an illness in the family. The overwhelming bulk of the products I have were bought in 2019! I think there is even some leftover 2018 stuff in there. From 2020 through today, I've only bought a small smattering of cakes and canister shells that are pretty new to the market. But I wouldn't have been able to buy half of this stash at today's prices. So while this will be the biggest show I've ever done, doing it will be somewhat bittersweet, knowing I most likely won't be able to equal it again anytime soon. Next year looks like it will mostly be a 200 gram cake and ball shell type deal for me. Heck, I might even try to get creative with roman candles, saturn missile batteries, the huge strings of firecrackers, bottle rockets and other more inexpensive items like I had a ton of fun with as a kid.

The only firework related items I've bought this year are some fuse, wooden stakes, some more cues, new batteries and 120 MJG initiators. I've got a couple bags of Talon ignitors left should I feel the need to wire up something new at the last minute. But basically I'll be setting off about 96 cakes in pairs, a couple of cakes boards I am making for all the cakes I have odd numbers of, or only one of, whichever the case may be. I think I'll just chain fuse those and let it rip. And I'll finish out the night by letting fly with 228 canister shells. The only other item I need to buy between now and the Fourth are some extra tarps, just in case rain threatens (as it usually does) and I need to keep the stations covered during the day. Being a bigger show, I have more things that need protecting than I have tarps for.

Also, this year has flown by! It doesn't feel like this should already be June, but it is. Time is wasting and I need to stop procrastinating and get started with the prep work. The last thing I want to deal with going into shoot day is having a bunch of work to do at the last minute. I want to be able to just take the stuff out to the field, stake it and plug it in.

Zippster
06-10-2022, 01:38 PM
Unfortunately, I've been out the past couple years, first was right before covid bs with us moving down south. After that, it just didnt make sense with the nonsense going on and now pricing and shortages, hopefully next year will prevail.

PyroWalker
06-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Also, this year has flown by! It doesn't feel like this should already be June, but it is. Time is wasting and I need to stop procrastinating and get started with the prep work. The last thing I want to deal with going into shoot day is having a bunch of work to do at the last minute. I want to be able to just take the stuff out to the field, stake it and plug it in.

I am SO close to being at that point, where I can just take it to the field, stake, and plug! I have 14 more igniters to secure down on my racks, and then I am all set! However, the perfectionist in me is going to hook up my PA system, audio box, and run my DMX flame machines (one more time) between now and shoot day. Maybe tomorrow if I can find the motivation! SO CLOSE!

Engineer Cat
06-12-2022, 10:52 PM
My buddy and his neighbors have a huge 4th of July party every year. I tell them what to buy (or I go get it myself) and they pay for it. Usually the contribution from my pocket is the cost of the initiators and picking music, time scripting, poking, fusing, labeling and shooting the show. They help with the setup and the breakdown. This year I put in some money in the products because I really wanted some particular items that I went and fetched myself. My shows are only 5 - 7 mins long so splitting the cost 3 ways isn't bad. I did spend and extra $400 on a second 24 cue Firelinx firing module that wasn't in my plans for this year but I did it anyway. lol

Devo
06-13-2022, 08:06 AM
I probably wouldn't be doing much of a show this year either if it weren't for having a lot of product on hand from the good old pre-COVID days. I skipped having my July 4th party and shoot in 2020 because of COVID. I also didn't shoot last year because of an illness in the family. The overwhelming bulk of the products I have were bought in 2019! I think there is even some leftover 2018 stuff in there. From 2020 through today, I've only bought a small smattering of cakes and canister shells that are pretty new to the market. But I wouldn't have been able to buy half of this stash at today's prices.

I'm in a similar situation. It sucks sitting on a commodity that's more than doubled in price, while knowing I'll go to jail if I try to sell it to anyone!! Plus, I'm now in an area where it's difficult to shoot...too many horses.

Engineer Cat
06-14-2022, 12:36 AM
Just the opposite. My show will be slightly larger this year. My buy early and often when available strategy ends up leaving me with product I wouldn’t have ordinarily purchased. I’ve hit the stop button on 2022 purchases and am already allocating some of my consumer product to 2023. The cost and frustration of the past few years hurts but cancelling would be like cancelling Christmas if not worse.

I hear ya. I love Xmas but the 4th of July is my night to go nuts.

PyroMike79
06-20-2022, 09:40 PM
My show will be largely scaled down this year. I did not even bother to put in a wholesale order for the first time in 12 or 13 years. Hard to get excited when the wholesale cost is more than I was paying retail just 2 years ago (4/24 packed cans I got for $120 a case are now $300 a case? Not happening). I just picked up enough retail to put on a small show and will do some random stuff before and after. Hopefully the shipping situation will be better next year and prices will return to earth a bit. I know they will never hit the pre-covid price level again, but there has to be some relief.

Birdman
06-21-2022, 11:51 AM
One thing I noticed is that shipments continue to arrive even though we are pretty much at or near the ordering deadline for the 4th. That seems to indicate there may be additional stock after the 4th which should help with the supply issues. I would like to believe this could shift the supply vs demand dynamic, especially if lots of people cut back on how much they purchase. If shipping costs stabilize or decrease and there is plenty of stock on the shelves going into next year, one would think this would at least stabilize prices. But that's just a guess based on my basic understanding of how markets work.

Engineer Cat
06-21-2022, 12:05 PM
I tell ya, it looks like display companies shooting around Northern NJ are not having an issue with product. A list came out today of the 4 counties in North Jersey and there's a total of 36 shows over a 4 day period.

PYRODAN
06-25-2022, 09:17 PM
Well I am not doing one this year either... original reason was not the cost but last kid graduating HS and busy summer schedule plus my helpers were in support of taking a year off since it really takes a lot of effort from a lot of people and a lot of $ too.

However considering the limited availability and crazy prices... it worked out to be a good year to skip. I have my show completely scripted by December and I would have expected the lack of product availability would have made that a nightmare as well.

I'll be back in the game for 2023 and music finalized

Well that blows! A forth with out Ed, Is like a Christmas with out Santa!! I haven't done a show in 2 years. This year is last minute and budget is less than half of 2019. (Last show I did.)