PDA

View Full Version : Ground Salutes

Okimarine
05-24-2022, 02:22 PM
Just curious if anyone has turned aerial salutes into ground salutes? I need them ematched but not going to pyro poke or try removing a timed fuse unless someone more knowledgeable than me has a method to do so safely. Thanks in advance.

RalphieJ
05-25-2022, 11:20 AM
My local display company used "ground salutes" hung from lanyards for additional shock and awe during the grand finale. They were purposely-built for that specific use, and fused with quick-match. The modification of conventional aerial salutes or canister inserts was never considered due to the obvious safety concerns.

Okimarine
05-25-2022, 12:26 PM
My local display company used "ground salutes" hung from lanyards for additional shock and awe during the grand finale. They were purposely-built for that specific use, and fused with quick-match. The modification of conventional aerial salutes or canister inserts was never considered due to the obvious safety concerns.

The shock and awe is what im looking for. Last year I had gas mines with 60 aerial salutes in the finale so I want to add the ground salutes this year. I may just end up making some from scratch, pretty sure I have all the ingredients and supplies for several dozen. Was just looking for a faster way than that. Technically, I could use the aerials since the show won't be choreographed to music. A few second delay won't hurt I guess.

RalphieJ
05-25-2022, 04:05 PM
The shock and awe is what im looking for. Last year I had gas mines with 60 aerial salutes in the finale so I want to add the ground salutes this year. I may just end up making some from scratch, pretty sure I have all the ingredients and supplies for several dozen. Was just looking for a faster way than that. Technically, I could use the aerials since the show won't be choreographed to music. A few second delay won't hurt I guess.

Sounds awesome. Be sure to suspend your salutes off of the ground for maximum affect (about 5 feet so that the concussion hits in the chest area of most folks) and to avoid throwing sod, gravel, rocks, etc. The Italian Masters called these "cabo morte" (Dead head, loosely translated). One additional trick is to time an aerial salute that detonates just before the ground salute.
Spectators will still be looking up when the ground salute fires, adding to the surprise factor.

Okimarine
05-25-2022, 10:15 PM
One additional trick is to time an aerial salute that detonates just before the ground salute.
Spectators will still be looking up when the ground salute fires, adding to the surprise factor.

Good idea, thanks for the advice.

PyroJoeNEPA
05-26-2022, 09:27 AM
I've done it both ways. You can use aerial shells "as is"--it isn't necessary to take the lift charge out. Just factor in the timing of the time delay fuse if you are looking for any type of synchronization.
For a "custom made" grounder, you simply eliminate the delay fuse & glue the quick match leader directly into the casing. I use hot glue, then put a filet of heavy cotton string soaked in white glue around the leader to seal up the junction point. It works extremely well.
We frequently use a "grounder" fired together with a gas mine--tie the two ematches in series. Awesome effect!
As was mentioned above, suspend the grounders a couple feet above ground level--we use a 4foot 3/4" wood stake on about a 30 degree angle--so the grounder doesn't make toothpicks out of the support stake.

Okimarine
05-26-2022, 07:53 PM
I've done it both ways. You can use aerial shells "as is"--it isn't necessary to take the lift charge out. Just factor in the timing of the time delay fuse if you are looking for any type of synchronization.
For a "custom made" grounder, you simply eliminate the delay fuse & glue the quick match leader directly into the casing. I use hot glue, then put a filet of heavy cotton string soaked in white glue around the leader to seal up the junction point. It works extremely well.
We frequently use a "grounder" fired together with a gas mine--tie the two ematches in series. Awesome effect!
As was mentioned above, suspend the grounders a couple feet above ground level--we use a 4foot 3/4" wood stake on about a 30 degree angle--so the grounder doesn't make toothpicks out of the support stake.

I watched Dave's video of a gas mine with the ground salute, much better than mine without the salute.

displayfireworks1
05-26-2022, 08:37 PM
I know some of the more popular gasoline and Cremora mine makers add salutes in the air AFTER the mine effect. I personally feel while the gasoline mine effect is great, it lacks that initial audience shock effect when it goes off. If you notice, this is why Hollywood adds that Boom sound to theirs when it goes off in the movies. Although Hollywood probably adds the sound in artificially.
What I find interesting is some of us that have been around for a while learned how to make boom and other effects before we progressed into electrical firing and other advanced display techniques. Now the opposite is occurring , fireworks enthusiast are starting with advanced display techniques like firing systems and even an ATF license and do not make boom or make anything. It is actually a good thing.
The only way to purchase this boom effect I know of is to purchase the simulated Canon effect. However the people that commercially make that will not sell to us because they are too busy trying to protect their Display Company customers by only selling to them.
This is the advantage of working of working part time for a display company. You work with A and B mixtures, concussion mortars. Or you set up a flash cup with a little piece of tape, you remove and stick an electric match in it and hang it on the top roof of a stadium with string suspended in the air. Then find the right que on the firing system.
You have an ATF license and if you feel comfortable doing so, you may have to learn how to do an A-B mixture with a concussion mortar on site. I actually have video of this somewhere.

wingman
05-27-2022, 12:48 AM
Just a thought; you could always consider using high quality thunder mugs, using black powder only. They allow for a very nice, satisfying deep and resonant report and can be used multiple times.

displayfireworks1
05-27-2022, 05:36 AM
A few years back I was working with a guy selling those Thunder Mugs on eBay . He was selling them to shoot golf balls in the air. I did a quick eBay check and see they are still for sale by various vendors. I know the ones I have the size that will hold a golf ball sound OK. Not the same as a flash salute but acceptable depending on the radiance distance. I'll have to find the video where I was shooting those.

displayfireworks1
05-27-2022, 08:40 PM
I found my video, it is from 2017. I have it as an unlisted video. There are not a lot of views on it and I am not sure why. I know I released a video to help sell these back in that time period. Perhaps it was another video. Well, anyway this will give you an idea of the mortars. In addition to black powder It appears I also did an A-B mixture. Where you see me use the fuse, this is where the electric match would go. The electric match goes in first. Problem with that is if using black powder you do not want to pound down the packing. Reason is all electric match including the MJG Initiators are friction sensitive. If you start pounding on it chances are it can go off. The upside of the A-B mixture is , you do not need to compress anything. You can place a sheet of toilet paper on top of it and it will still sound good. The A-B just having that minimal confinement of that narrow space is good enough. Black Powder carries less risk. I see I age restricted the video back in 2017. If you sign into your YouTube account you can view it.
Unlisted from 2017. Disregard any sales reference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEdGXwU0sV4

displayfireworks1
05-27-2022, 09:16 PM
Here is another video I found from 2019 unlisted. My friend Rick has been perfecting this gasoline fireball effect over the years. Over the years I have been convincing him to add some boom to initial ignition of the fireball effect. This is a video clip adding that effect with the boom during ignition. The more I look at this in retrospect , the more I realize the boom at ignition is not loud enough in some of these clips. Again my opinion on this gasoline fireball effect it is a great visual effect, however it has minimal audible effect. If you want to add audible effect it is at ignition and not post ignition of the visual effect. I hope I said that correctly. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkC2chZzeo

Okimarine
05-28-2022, 06:35 PM
Here is another video I found from 2019 unlisted. My friend Rick has been perfecting this gasoline fireball effect over the years. Over the years I have been convincing him to add some boom to initial ignition of the fireball effect. This is a video clip adding that effect with the boom during ignition. The more I look at this in retrospect , the more I realize the boom at ignition is not loud enough in some of these clips. Again my opinion on this gasoline fireball effect it is a great visual effect, however it has minimal audible effect. If you want to add audible effect it is at ignition and not post ignition of the visual effect. I hope I said that correctly. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkC2chZzeo

This may be the video I referenced earlier in the thread, if not it was one similar. I will say that my gas mine was a big surprise to the audience without the salute but this will definitely get a better reaction.