PDA

View Full Version : Precision mortar fusing, can it be achieved?

Jay_
05-15-2022, 08:05 PM
Let me clarify before I begin. I am NOT trying to use fused mortars to hit a certain time window within a show.

What I am after is I want my mortar racks to shoot cleanly. Id like for my intervals between shots to be as uniform as they can be. As in, 1 shot goes up and breaks. As soon as the break occours, next shot is on the way. No blobs of sky puke going up.....then momentarily nothing....and then more blobs of sky puke.

Does anyone have any examples of some precision fuse techniques (that may be an oxymoron) that you use to make your mortar racks shoot cleanly.

I do understand that the best way is to shoot them off of the match and I do have some scripted in, but I have way more shells than cues.

The shells just will be used as fill between outboard stations while other effects are going on and I wont be counting on them to stop firing at a precise time.

I do have a bunch of fuse and a decent variety
I do have the patience to spend a bunch of time on it as long as the end product is worth it

PyroFL
05-15-2022, 09:42 PM
Yes it can be done.

After doing it one time it was better to me to buy 3 sequencers for $80 each. Set it and your done.

Here’s how it can be done:

- Using the same roll of quick fuse
- Cut fuse 16” long
- Use a sharpie and mark each one 3/4”
- Pull fuse out of shell it comes with
- Use poker to just open the hole a little so make it easier to install the Quick fuse
- Insert the fuse to the sharpie mark at 3/4”
- Use Dave’s Magic tape to hold

Then fuse together for with the timing your looking to use and equal spacing
I used 1 1/2” taped onto leader fuse with another 1 1/2” spacing

I just used the roll of tape as spacer

Worked perfect

Jay_
05-16-2022, 06:34 PM
...A sequencer. Brilliant!

Never even crossed my mind that there would be budget sequencers out there. That is exactly what I need.

Thank you!

RalphieJ
05-16-2022, 07:55 PM
20 years ago there was a fatal accident at a fireworks storage bunker in the Town of Newburgh NY. Further investigation determined that the worker was pulling the fuse from a lift charge when the shell ignited. I would cut the fuse off from the base, and punch another hole with your brass awl.

https://www.recordonline.com/story/news/2002/08/08/fatal-fireworks-blast-probed/51165763007/

esgrillo
05-17-2022, 11:58 AM

displayfireworks1
05-17-2022, 05:46 PM

BeerGuyEd
05-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Can someone give me an example of a sequencer? I am interested in a bit more precision with my shells as well. I use a Cobra to fire.

Engineer Cat
05-25-2022, 10:51 PM
Can someone give me an example of a sequencer? I am interested in a bit more precision with my shells as well. I use a Cobra to fire.

This is a sequencer https://www.pyrocreations.com/Twelve-cue-sequencer-firing-system.html I don't have one.... yet. I assume you just add some scab wire to the cue on your cobra that you want to use to initiate the sequencer.

Birdman
05-31-2022, 05:52 PM
This is a sequencer https://www.pyrocreations.com/Twelve-cue-sequencer-firing-system.html I don't have one.... yet. I assume you just add some scab wire to the cue on your cobra that you want to use to initiate the sequencer.

A little late now but I see no reason why I'll every need to buy another module. Thanks for sharing!

Jay_
05-31-2022, 10:23 PM
I just ordered mine earlier this evening. Will be quite handy for dumping a couple of racks in a hurry, yet precisely at the end of my show this year.

Engineer Cat
06-01-2022, 12:02 AM
I just ordered mine earlier this evening. Will be quite handy for dumping a couple of racks in a hurry, yet precisely at the end of my show this year.

A little late now but I see no reason why I'll every need to buy another module. Thanks for sharing!

Yea I just picked up a second firelinx firing module but this will come in handy on the racks. I just can't pick it up this year cause my wife made it clear that if I buy anymore firework related items the only thing that will be getting shot this year is me. :eek:

Birdman
06-01-2022, 01:32 PM
Yea I just picked up a second firelinx firing module but this will come in handy on the racks. I just can't pick it up this year cause my wife made it clear that if I buy anymore firework related items the only thing that will be getting shot this year is me. :eek:

Familiar story! I've learned it's best to make at least some purchases right after a show when the wife is thinking more about how the show turned out then the money being spent. As the time passes they forget about the show and start thinking about the money being spent again. Rinse repeat....

Engineer Cat
06-01-2022, 06:41 PM
Familiar story! I've learned it's best to make at least some purchases right after a show when the wife is thinking more about how the show turned out then the money being spent. As the time passes they forget about the show and start thinking about the money being spent again. Rinse repeat....

Ha that's a good strategy. I kind of just mention firework stuff and ideas for the next show here and there to kind of numb her so when she hears "I'm taking a drive to PA" she knows what the result of that trip is. lmao