PDA

View Full Version : What mortars size tubing and racks should I invest in first/most?

Jpswimboy
05-14-2022, 01:34 PM
Hello! In the last year I got my type 54 and this year I?ll be having my first show with 1.3 fireworks for this years fourth and I am super stoked! Moving forward after this year, I want to invest in my own equipment, i currently work mostly with cakes however I will be using 1x 3,4,5in salutes for this years show, and I would like to get into more mortars because I read and I?ve heard that they are more cost-effective than cakes. Is this true? And I was wondering what size motors tubes are the good investment? I believe I have read a post in here that around 3-4in is where the sweet spot for the cost and effects. Space to shoot isn?t a issue, and I believe that I will get a ignition system for safety and control, ppe is already handled, also I have been around 1.3g fireworks for about 11 years, and have ran 2 1.4g shows with people under me before (to answer some questions that i thought will be asked my way lol) Also side question, what are y?all?s thoughts on milk crate racks? Thank you for your time, help and info.
-JP

PyroJoeNEPA
05-14-2022, 07:13 PM
1.3g shells are going to be thin picking---especially if you are looking for salutes.
I would suggest you look at who you will be purchasing from and talk to them about what their current---and projected==inventory looks like.
I would also suggest looking int 2.5" guns & 3" guns to get started. You can get a lot of nice shell variations in a 3", and a couple racks of 2 1/2" TI salutes in a finale definitely turn heads. You will find that the "wow" factor for a 4" or 5" shell isn't that great in a "backyard show" compared to the larger number of smaller shells you can put in the air for the same amount of money. Sure they are "bigger & better"--but does it justify the expense [for a start up investment]???
There are some VERY nice 2" & 2 1/2" large bore 1.3g cakes out there that will work very well for you, also.
[[[A nice 25shot 2" 1.3g finale cake can be purchased for less than HALF the price of a 9 shot 1.4g NOAB!]]]
***********Just my humble thoughts**********
And, NO, I don't like milk crate racks--although there are those on here that use them........

Okimarine
05-15-2022, 02:03 PM
I have up to 6" tubes but use alot more 4" down to 1.75" tubes. I have (168+) 1.75" tubes and racks for consumer shells and 1.75" salutes, start my shows with them and some 1.4 /1.3 cakes then go into the 3" and 4" with bigger and faster 1.3 cakes. I only use the 6" on 1 show due to distance limitations. I also have (4) 6" gas mines and (2) 10" gas mines with (4) more 10" being welded right now. I use the gas mines similar to the shells, 6" mines with the smaller shells, 10" mines at the finale with (60) 2.5" salutes. Ive never used the milk crate racks but I suppose it would be fine with the consumer shells. I think its easier to angle tubes in wood racks and I would want alittle space between tubes in case of a failure to launch.

Even a cheap Chinese ignition system with 60/72 cues is amazing starting out. I used one the last 3 years no problem. I recently purchased a FireTek with 192 cues to move into more automated shoots and pyromusicals. Good luck in your new hobby.

BMoore
05-15-2022, 07:18 PM
I started with 3” racks then went to 2.5”. 3” are the workhorse shells of most shows but I really like the versatility of 2.5.” If you use contingency storage I recommend investing in enough racks to handle a full case of shells. Just like 1.4 there is a place for both cakes and shells but once you get over a 2” bore I’d rather use shells as it’s more cost effective and probably safer.

Salutecake
05-19-2022, 08:24 AM
unable to find

joewad
05-19-2022, 10:29 PM

215less
06-10-2022, 09:48 AM
I started with 3” racks then went to 2.5”. 3” are the workhorse shells of most shows but I really like the versatility of 2.5.” If you use contingency storage I recommend investing in enough racks to handle a full case of shells. Just like 1.4 there is a place for both cakes and shells but once you get over a 2” bore I’d rather use shells as it’s more cost effective and probably safer.

I 2nd that. The company I work for mainly uses 2.5’s and 3’s. Some racks of 4’s ad the occasional 5” and rare 6” racks. When I have by my own displays, I shoot 2.5”, 3” and afew 4” racks. Anything more is just too big around my area.

Mattp
06-12-2022, 11:07 PM
Salutes are definitely thin picking this year,,(at least from my suppliers) and what you do find is much more expensive ,, while I do love 3” shells,, the amount of labor and wiring involved for my backyard show is just too much for me to use alot of them ,, personally I do more cakes,, and sprinkle in some 3’s and 4’s,, I guess it all depends upon your personal preference and time ,, I don’t love milk crates ,, and definitely would not use them for anything more than 1.4g/ 1.75” .. I use properly made single row straight racks

Salutecake
06-13-2022, 01:03 PM
PyroJoeNEPA makes some good points and things might be hard to find this year.

Luckily I purchased some 2.5 salute chains, earlier this year, they are nice cause 2 chains fit in a rack evenly. At some places you can find 1.3 shells that fit into your 1.75 tubes. 2.5 and 3's to start - but with no distance restrictions, I could see 4" coming and then at least 1 - 5 and 6 inch rack I'm sure will follow, LOL.