PDA

View Full Version : Propane Torch vs. Road Flare

BMoore
05-09-2022, 12:19 PM
I've used both but my propane torch has been my go to choice for hand lighting. The fumes, drips and always lit aspect of flares has made them seem a little unsafe to me. I do like the extra light but I feel like it can also be distracting at times. Anyway, an acquaintance told me that the display company he works for strictly bans propane torches. The idea is that if a shell should somehow impact the propane tank there is an explosion risk.

So what's everyone's thoughts? Torch or road flare for hand firing?

displayfireworks1
05-09-2022, 03:50 PM
I may have a video about this somewhere. I'll have to try to search it out.

displayfireworks1
05-09-2022, 08:56 PM
Great topic for discussion. I made this video today pretty quickly for the pyrotalk forums. I tried to summarize my experience with these propane torches. The same way Visco fuse fowls the ignition system on one of those disposable grill lighters, Display product fuse will spit back and fowl the ignition system on one of these Benzomatic propane torches unless, it has that extra screw on sleeve. It has been a while since I purchased one, the TS 8000 has that extra protective sleeve and still gives a nice flame. On a professional hand lighting display, the Benzomatic does not give the technician the confidence , visual light , visualizing the other shooters etc as well as a standard red fusee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntv6BLsX8Kg

Arclight
05-09-2022, 10:19 PM
I would not worry about puncturing a 1lb propane cylinder. They are made out of about 1/16" steel and while a pistol bullet will open them up, I can't see any way you could have that happen with typical pyro stuff.

BMoore
05-10-2022, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the video Dave. Good point on torches with the sleeve. I have a few TS4000 that have the sleeve and I’ve never had an issue. It makes sense that you would want the visibility of a flare on a pro shoot. The only hand firing I do is my personal show which is mostly shot with the Cobra but I do hand light some racks with a torch. This was the first time I had heard anyone make the claim that propane was a safety issue.

Salutecake
05-10-2022, 06:52 AM
Agreed with Dave on the light factor and the torch without the cover - but I usually have a headlamp on which is plenty of light.
No problem using either but with the fuse, you usually get some type of volcanic splatter and you also have an impalement factor with the spike at the end.
The fuse is always lit and you hope the torch continues to light.
Plus and minuses with both.
I also know one company that you are not allowed to use torches -- seems like some type of fetish to me but their company and their rules if you want to shoot for them.

RalphieJ
05-10-2022, 11:15 AM
Being old school, railroad fusee's for me.....without the spikes. Provides much-needed light and sure-fire ignition. And no guessing how much fuel is left in the tank.

joewad
05-17-2022, 11:38 AM