PDA

View Full Version : Testing Some BP Mixes For Gas Mines

WithReport
05-07-2022, 02:13 AM
We tested some fireballs with some red gum screened BP mix.

With one hand filming with my phone, I threw together a a video dropping the charge and setting up the firing system. With some funky music added, I think it turned out OK. The mine worked great, too.

I did have a gopro set up on a tripod to film the fireball, too. I think I had the ISO set a bit to low, but I usually max it out around 400-500 for firework shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZPe4CuiFHs

Also, I had a audio field recorder set up closer to the fireball so the microphone could catch some of the sound that I laid over the video on the replays. I can hear the difference from the first clip, can you?

One thing you'll hear is a clunk after the lift - that is the rail falling back down to the ground. I didn't have the single igniter wire anchored down and it pulled the rail up in the air a few feet.

Arclight
05-07-2022, 11:40 AM
Nice work. How are you sealing up the lift charge? The ones I saw being used on 15 gallon gas mines were a 3" ball shell casing with BP and some Al dust mixed in, sealed in a plastic bag with igniter and then taped up inside the ball shell. Then the whole ball was dipped in fiberglass resin and allowed to cure.

WithReport
05-07-2022, 11:21 PM
Nice work. How are you sealing up the lift charge? ...

Thanks. A dash of Ti. Wrappped up in Plastic bag and lots of electrical tape.

topshelfpyro
05-08-2022, 04:39 AM
Thanks. A dash of Ti. Wrappped up in Plastic bag and lots of electrical tape.

Do you prefer the bag and tape over bottles?

WithReport
05-08-2022, 01:00 PM
bags are easy and cheap - they don't float nothing to tie down....

, but I've never used a bottle.

I have contemplated dipping them in epoxy resin to further waterproof them, but I figure as long as I drop them just before the show and keep them in the water rather than fuel, I'll be OK. Knock on wood - they have been 100% successful so far.

topshelfpyro
05-08-2022, 03:29 PM
bags are easy and cheap - they don't float nothing to tie down....

, but I've never used a bottle.

I have contemplated dipping them in epoxy resin to further waterproof them, but I figure as long as I drop them just before the show and keep them in the water rather than fuel, I'll be OK. Knock on wood - they have been 100% successful so far.

If you use properly sized bottles so they are full or almost full they will sink like the bags. If you do not have the correct bottle you can use black iron oxide powder to take up the space, add weight, and it will sink as well.
Prep time for bottles is longer than for bags and tape so I guess it is whatever you prefer. Bottles are Bill Corbett approved as well as the bags. :)

Salutecake
06-08-2022, 07:26 PM
What tricks do you use to epoxy the bottles - 50% of the time I end up with a hole where the fuse goes in the cap, I believe because gravity pulls it down and then a small void opens up and water gets in. 2 layers of epoxy? set the bottles upside down while they are drying? any Ideas lmk, thanks