View Full Version : Fireworks Inventory - What do you use?

Bitzan
04-18-2022, 05:51 PM
What do y'all use to keep an inventory of the fireworks you have? I am using an Excel spreadsheet and it certainly has limitations. Would be interested to know if there are any other solutions.
Thanks,
John

Okimarine
04-18-2022, 06:21 PM
I use a spreadsheet as well. I take a hard copy to the magazine with me to record what I take out. I then update on computer, print again for most current inventory. I'm only doing this for my 1.3, probably need to start one for my 1.4 as I have quite a bit as well.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-18-2022, 08:51 PM
Been using an Excel spreadsheet for years. Works great. Has formulas in it to break down the cost by piece and grand total. Time for each effect. Total potential show time. Vendor, port type, etc. and so on.

Works well for my purposes.

Greenville Pyro
04-19-2022, 09:32 AM
Been using an Excel spreadsheet for years. Works great. Has formulas in it to break down the cost by piece and grand total. Time for each effect. Total potential show time. Vendor, port type, etc. and so on.

I'm with Rick. I use an excel spreadsheet that I got pre-set up for inventory. I then tailored it to my needs. Name, Manufacturer, packaging eg 4/1, Quantity on hand, quantity needed, cases to order

Icooclast
04-19-2022, 01:00 PM
i use an excel spreadsheet for every thing. not just fireworks, but buying my DVDs, music CDs, etc. have been since high school. (am 36 now)

Rick_In_Tampa
04-19-2022, 03:37 PM
Excel is a very powerful tool. The formulas can make your brain bleed if you're not used to writing them, but if you can get a copy of someone else's that's already set up (or even close) it makes life a lot easier. There are plenty of You Tube videos out there that can teach you what you don't know too.

WithReport
04-20-2022, 12:25 AM
Google Sheets.

Each year it gets a bit more involved, but it's fairly stable now. I have separate tabs for each category: 200g, 500g, cannisters, etc. Each spreadsheet is of a similar structure - here is some of what it looks like, but I don't show all of it in the image. When planning a show, I use the orange columns to keep track of what is being planned for different shows or segments. I've also spent time trying to capture lift and duration times.

Bitzan
04-26-2022, 09:06 AM
Thank you. Sounds like I may be on the right track.

Bitzan
04-26-2022, 09:08 AM
I use a spreadsheet as well. I take a hard copy to the magazine with me to record what I take out. I then update on computer, print again for most current inventory. I'm only doing this for my 1.3, probably need to start one for my 1.4 as I have quite a bit as well.

Thank you. Looks like I am on the right track.

Bitzan
04-26-2022, 09:10 AM

Rick, if it works for you I am sure I can make it work! Thank you.

Bitzan
04-26-2022, 09:13 AM
Excel is a very powerful tool. The formulas can make your brain bleed if you're not used to writing them, but if you can get a copy of someone else's that's already set up (or even close) it makes life a lot easier. There are plenty of You Tube videos out there that can teach you what you don't know too.

My children attend Catholic school - there is an unpublished rule - if you come up with the idea you are automatically the chairman of the committee. In that vain would you be willing to post your spreadsheet minus any "personal" data? As a beginner I am looking more for lessons learned as in "I wish I would have had that column from day one". Mostly the headers and any formulas you use.

Bitzan
04-26-2022, 09:14 AM
Google Sheets.

Each year it gets a bit more involved, but it's fairly stable now. I have separate tabs for each category: 200g, 500g, cannisters, etc. Each spreadsheet is of a similar structure - here is some of what it looks like, but I don't show all of it in the image. When planning a show, I use the orange columns to keep track of what is being planned for different shows or segments. I've also spent time trying to capture lift and duration times.

Wow - great stuff. Thank you.

Greenville Pyro
04-26-2022, 09:29 AM
Wow - great stuff. Thank you.

Here is a screenshot of the basic excel that I use

Scotty Rockets
04-26-2022, 10:05 AM
I use excel, my vertical columns are categorized by part number, description name, quantity and my cost, cost column is then set with a formula to auto calculate. My racks are also inventoried along with my products. I then keep finale3d “my effects” current and updated accordingly, the nice thing about finale is that it has live inventory as you build a show.

Birdman
04-26-2022, 11:28 AM
I use spreadsheets too. I'm too cheap to pay for excel so I use Open Office on my personal laptop. It varies how I do things and a lot depends on the show. I like to keep things fluid and flexible and try not to get too bogged down in data. Generally though I script my show first in Cobra Show Creator then use the CSC reporting tools to import the data into a spreadsheet. I'll use this data to determine what I need to get and to track my purchases. Then I'll use another spreadsheet to track what I have received and what is still outstanding. Everything else I need is in CSC if I need it. I don't usually have much inventory left after each show so there's little to nothing to track at that point.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-28-2022, 03:25 PM
Rick, if it works for you I am sure I can make it work! Thank you.

Well, I was either just insulted or complimented. I'll go with the latter until I hear otherwise. Lol...

Just kidding...

You are quite welcome.

Rick_In_Tampa
04-28-2022, 03:26 PM
My children attend Catholic school - there is an unpublished rule - if you come up with the idea you are automatically the chairman of the committee. In that vain would you be willing to post your spreadsheet minus any "personal" data? As a beginner I am looking more for lessons learned as in "I wish I would have had that column from day one". Mostly the headers and any formulas you use.

I would be happy to post what I use. Will that that tonight when I get home, or at some time tomorrow.

If you want to shoot me a PM with an e-mail address, I can also send you a copy directly.