PDA

View Full Version : ATF Request

ike54
04-14-2022, 12:34 PM
I just received the following email the ATF:

?I have received your application for an explosives permit and I need to request some additional information before we can move forward. Would you reach out to Fairmont (or the County if you are not within city limits) to confirm that your storage magazine does not violate any local zoning ordinances? I don?t need anything formal ? an email from an official is fine. Once we confirm that your storage situation is going to be acceptable, I?ll schedule an in-person interview with you and we can move forward toward issuing the permit.?

Should I proceed with the request or is there another avenue I should go down?

Any feedback is appreciated.

displayfireworks1
04-14-2022, 02:59 PM
Add what state you are from to you profile so it is visible

Okimarine
04-14-2022, 05:34 PM
Hmm, odd that this was not a requirement for me in Braxton county. Just curious where you live in WV? Was it Phillip Kennedy that contacted you? I've talked to him since he replaced the Agent that inspected me but that was over the phone, no face to face yet. Seems like every agent that deals with type 54 licencing puts their own spin on things. That info can probably be found online if there is an ordinance against it. Although I disagree with his request as its not in the application and not his job to enforce State or local ordanances, it may be easier to get an email from the County and forward to him.

displayfireworks1
04-14-2022, 07:17 PM
Whoever the poster is , it is lazy post a copy and paste. Speaking of West Virginia, doesn't West Virginia have a state inspection process on explosive storage and a small fee? Or wait a minute , I believe that state just goes with the ATF inspection and there a place to write your license number in. I'm going to answer this dudes question if he adds some information.

ike54
04-14-2022, 08:48 PM
I apologize for all the question marks in my original post. I'm not sure what happened maybe it was because I posted from my phone. Okimarine-I live in Fairmont. It was not Phillip Kennedy that contacted me. I am trying to get a Type 4 Indoor magazine approved. I've checked the local ordinances and it doesn't specify anything about Type 4 Indoor magazines.

Okimarine
04-14-2022, 09:29 PM
Whoever the poster is , it is lazy post a copy and paste. Speaking of West Virginia, doesn't West Virginia have a state inspection process on explosive storage and a small fee? Or wait a minute , I believe that state just goes with the ATF inspection and there a place to write your license number in. I'm going to answer this dudes question if he adds some information.

Dave, WV requires a Pyrotechnics License to legally posess/use 1.3 (testing on initial application, $20.00 annually), a state permit for a magazine ($100.00 annually, Business License required, 1 million liability insurance required) but approves it after the ATF inspection. I did have a State Fire Marshal show up to inspect it but that was after I obtained both the ATF permit, State permit, and had it full of product.

displayfireworks1
04-15-2022, 09:09 PM
I apologize for all the question marks in my original post. I'm not sure what happened maybe it was because I posted from my phone. Okimarine-I live in Fairmont. It was not Phillip Kennedy that contacted me. I am trying to get a Type 4 Indoor magazine approved. I've checked the local ordinances and it doesn't specify anything about Type 4 Indoor magazines.

Those question marks appear in your post because for some reason when doing a copy and paste that has quotations in it, it changes the quotation marks to question marks
You could find out who the zoning person is and send them an email. You can word it something along the lines of you checked the city website and didn’t see anything related to less than 50 pounds of explosive storage for personal use. Mention you are currently working with the ATF and the state. Specify personal use and not in business. DO NOT give them your phone number or answer any calls from them. You need either a written response or no response within a reasonable time frame. If someone calls you, there are going to tell you all sort of unsubstantiated BS. Do not ask for permission, ask for any zoning regulations etc. Save a copy of the email or letter be sure to date it If they call you and leave a message, you follow it up with an email stating I missed your call. In the event they are going to try deny you locally, any verbal communication is worthless.
Since you gave so little information, this assumes you are using fireworks for your own personal use and the ATF is going to approve your setup.