PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Type 54 application from IL

PuffyElvis
04-12-2022, 10:44 PM
Greetings! I live in a suburb of Chicago. I recently mailed my type 54 application and I'm waiting on a call to schedule my interview. I've watched Dave's DVDs and believe I have correctly completed the application. Of course, living in one of the only two states that still criminalizes fireworks and having read the countless threads about the difficulty in obtaining a type 54 from ATF inspectors in this area, I am bracing for a lot of challenges.

My contingency letter is from Lynch Imports. My intent is to shoot at Lynch Import's open shoot since contingency is in the same location. Also, no one else bothered replying to my requests for a contingency letter.

I'm expecting objections such as, I don't have an IDNR nor Fire Marshall license. I live too far from contingency storage (despite it's proximity to my shoot location). I don't have a business nor work for a licensed display fireworks company. I need some type of permission from Cook county. I need to sign a letter that has nothing to do with Federal requirements.

Any other objections local IL residences have encountered that you could share along with any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Okimarine
04-13-2022, 06:53 AM
Any other objections local IL residences have encountered that you could share along with any other advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm not from IL but will say hello and good luck in obtaining your type 54. I've dealt with Stephen and Elizabeth from Lynch Imports and have to say that my experience with them and the company in general were very positive.

The contingency storage was an issue for me (4 hours away ) and I ended up getting my own magazine. Other than that, the type 54 was pretty easy for me and the Agent that interviewed me was excited to see a fireworks enthusiast putting in the time to get the license.

CHI_Pyro99
04-13-2022, 07:19 AM
IL resident here. Don’t worry. Interview process was quick and easy. As long as you have contingency within 2-3 hrs you’ll be fine. I have a friend going through the process now. Application was submitted back in October…still no interview scheduled. Apparently, fbi is way behind in background checks.

PuffyElvis
04-13-2022, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the feedback, CHI_Pyro99. May I ask where you and your friend obtained contingency storage?
Lynch Imports is about 4 hours from Chicago. Based on the September 2006 ATF Explosives Newsletter, “The contingency storage must be reasonably close to the event location or business premises.”

PuffyElvis
05-24-2022, 08:21 PM
I received a call from my local ATF field office, about 45 days after mailing my application for explosives license/permit. We had a quick chat and the IOI asked the purpose of my application, quickly following up with where I had intended to acquire and use 1.3g fireworks. After answering, much to my surprise, he asked if I was free to have an interview at my home the in the next day or two. It was kinda like getting a call from the girl you like in high school and asking if you're free to go on a date that night.

The interview took about two hours. I was a little surprised by questions about my experience with 1.3g, what ignition method I intended to use and the size/quantity of shells and cakes I intended on purchasing. It was all done via laptop, including updating my application to make corrections. Given some of the horror stories I've heard, specifically about Illinois, I had expected to have to prove milage between my shoot location and contingency storage, sign letters of intention, etc. or even be asked to withdraw my application. I was fortunate as none of these things happened. By the end, I had a copy of the Orange Book and was told to expect my permit in 2-4 weeks. The background check had already been completed prior to the IOI contacting me.

If I have one regret, it was that I wasted energy worrying about the whole thing rather than simply getting my letters of contingency and submitting my application. Watch Dave's DVDs several times and submit your application - it doesn't have to absolutely perfect, just be 100% truthful. Chances are the IOI that interviews you is going to ask you to make small changes anyway.

One misconception I had was that contingency had to be 100 miles from my residence. For the purposes of your application, contingency should be close to your shoot location. It has nothing to do with your residence. I'll give another update once my permit arrives.