PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a FireTek system

Okimarine
04-04-2022, 10:21 PM
Just ordered (3) FTQ 16X64 modules with mesh wifi, dmx, external antenna, (3) extra rails and the small remote. I think I will get the new remote once its released in May. I can't wait to add some dmx flame machine's. I doubt I will have time to learn the system enough to sync to music this year but I'm 1 step closer. Thanks to everyone that has provided input for fireTek on the forums, your reviews and video's helped me make my decision.

Scotty Rockets
04-05-2022, 09:57 AM
Congrats! Long time fireTEK user here. Check out finale 3D, they just released a lite version for $149 per year. Scripting with finale is a breeze for firetek and I recommend getting the hobby version if you get into using DMX flame machines, finale software supports many different DMX devices from the affordable to high end and makes scripting DMX very easy.

Okimarine
04-05-2022, 10:58 AM
Congrats! Long time fireTEK user here. Check out finale 3D, they just released a lite version for $149 per year. Scripting with finale is a breeze for firetek and I recommend getting the hobby version if you get into using DMX flame machines, finale software supports many different DMX devices from the affordable to high end and makes scripting DMX very easy.

More great info, thanks. I will definitely check that out. Although I plan on using Fire Tek this year, I'll only be using the basic abilities. I've got alot going on the next few months and wont be able to familiarize myself with the system enough to use the advanced features.

topshelfpyro
04-05-2022, 03:10 PM
Congrats! and welcome to the wonderful world of FireTEK! as Scott said Finale 3d is fantastic software for scripting, you will have to have hobbiest to script DMX things but the basic covers alot of things for pretty cheap. Finale3d has a pretty good comparison tool for their offerings when your ready to jump into that and you can upgrade on the fly if needed for the cost difference. Those modules can each act as a different DMX universe with about 100 channels and 1300 or so lines of commands and you can control moving heads as well on a single line.

Okimarine
04-05-2022, 08:10 PM
Congrats! and welcome to the wonderful world of FireTEK! as Scott said Finale 3d is fantastic software for scripting, you will have to have hobbiest to script DMX things but the basic covers alot of things for pretty cheap. Finale3d has a pretty good comparison tool for their offerings when your ready to jump into that and you can upgrade on the fly if needed for the cost difference. Those modules can each act as a different DMX universe with about 100 channels and 1300 or so lines of commands and you can control moving heads as well on a single line.

Thanks, I haven't received them yet but looking forward to learning the scripting /dmx and improving my shows.

topshelfpyro
04-06-2022, 02:49 PM
Will this be your first experience with e-fire?

Okimarine
04-06-2022, 06:57 PM
Will this be your first experience with e-fire?

No its not. I have a cheap chinese system. It works well for what it is. Allowed me to enjoy the show alittle more sitting with the crowd and incorporate gas mines in since I wasn't hand lighting. I know Fire Tek is a big improvement in capabilities over that system.

topshelfpyro
04-07-2022, 03:22 PM
No its not. I have a cheap chinese system. It works well for what it is. Allowed me to enjoy the show alittle more sitting with the crowd and incorporate gas mines in since I wasn't hand lighting. I know Fire Tek is a big improvement in capabilities over that system.

Nice upgrade to FireTEK! Not alot of us here, myself, scotty rockets, withreport, and a few others that I can't recall are here. Check out fireteks YouTube for some very good videos of various things. It's addictive once you have a capable system. For me.....I started when FireTEK was white cased, sold it when I lost my shoot site, bought it again when the 48FX released and now have what some would call a "crazy" amount of equipment to shoot fireworks for the 4th (yep 1 time a year). LOL

best hobby I've had so far and I'm 54. Lol.

Okimarine
04-07-2022, 06:47 PM
Nice upgrade to FireTEK! Not alot of us here, myself, scotty rockets, withreport, and a few others that I can't recall are here. Check out fireteks YouTube for some very good videos of various things. It's addictive once you have a capable system. For me.....I started when FireTEK was white cased, sold it when I lost my shoot site, bought it again when the 48FX released and now have what some would call a "crazy" amount of equipment to shoot fireworks for the 4th (yep 1 time a year). LOL

best hobby I've had so far and I'm 54. Lol.

I'm 50 next month and this is about the only hobby I spend money on. I do (2) a year with 1.3, shoot some 1.4 at the house on occasion. The 1.3 shoots are at a Church Youth camp I volunteer at and a family reunion, both in July. I donate product and time for both. Everyone said last year that it was better then the local shows they've watched in the past. Seems like every show I do, I go alittle bigger and better than the last. I figured FireTek could help bring the wow factor up with the addition of music and dmx..

topshelfpyro
04-08-2022, 02:28 AM
I'm 50 next month and this is about the only hobby I spend money on. I do (2) a year with 1.3, shoot some 1.4 at the house on occasion. The 1.3 shoots are at a Church Youth camp I volunteer at and a family reunion, both in July. I donate product and time for both. Everyone said last year that it was better then the local shows they've watched in the past. Seems like every show I do, I go alittle bigger and better than the last. I figured FireTek could help bring the wow factor up with the addition of music and dmx..

That's fantastic! Your gonna love your new capabilities! Post some of your shows sometime if you have video. I think everyone can learn something from everyone.
I only do backyard 1.4, 1.3 is great but I don't have the space.
This will be my 3rd year attempting a pyromusical, I seem to learn something every year (mostly what not to do). 1st year was about 250 cues, last year was 850, haven't finished scripting this years so who knows. Lol

Okimarine
04-08-2022, 06:47 AM
That's fantastic! Your gonna love your new capabilities! Post some of your shows sometime if you have video. I think everyone can learn something from everyone.
I only do backyard 1.4, 1.3 is great but I don't have the space.
This will be my 3rd year attempting a pyromusical, I seem to learn something every year (mostly what not to do). 1st year was about 250 cues, last year was 850, haven't finished scripting this years so who knows. Lol

To be honest, my shows are embarrassing to what Ive seen on here. No music, no timing, no sense in the flow. Add in delays between shots because I lost track of what cue I was on and a few fire jumps on chain fused shots and it was a mess compared to the Shows generally posted on here. I've seen plenty of 1.4 shows on here much better than I did with added 1.3. I think 1.3 cakes, 4" shell breaks ect help my show out alot since everything else is way off from being a pro show but definitely not needed with the experienced users on here that script out their shows and incorporate dmx devices.

topshelfpyro
04-08-2022, 05:03 PM
To be honest, my shows are embarrassing to what Ive seen on here. No music, no timing, no sense in the flow. Add in delays between shots because I lost track of what cue I was on and a few fire jumps on chain fused shots and it was a mess compared to the Shows generally posted on here. I've seen plenty of 1.4 shows on here much better than I did with added 1.3. I think 1.3 cakes, 4" shell breaks ect help my show out alot since everything else is way off from being a pro show but definitely not needed with the experienced users on here that script out their shows and incorporate dmx devices.

Everyone here started exactly where you are. Practice and time will get you there and hopefully me to. Going from flares to pushing buttons was amazing and now scripting to music and pushing 1 button is the best to me. I had some DMX flames/lights last year but didn't use them. Gonna put them in this year. The biggest thing I've learned so far is prep prep and more prep work. However long I think it's gonna take to set up I need to double it or more. Even having a ton of prep done last year it still took 2x+ as long to set up as guessed with just 3 people by the time it was all set and plugged in I just crossed my figures and hit it even with FireTEK telling me I had issues on the controller. Turned out pretty good overall but possibly could have fixed the issues if I had more time.

Finale 3d is amazing especially going from essentially a spreadsheet programming software (PIC) to what is a very powerful and visual tool. $350 is alot for 1x a year but for me it's a necessity.

Okimarine
04-08-2022, 07:20 PM
Everyone here started exactly where you are. Practice and time will get you there and hopefully me to. Going from flares to pushing buttons was amazing and now scripting to music and pushing 1 button is the best to me. I had some DMX flames/lights last year but didn't use them. Gonna put them in this year. The biggest thing I've learned so far is prep prep and more prep work. However long I think it's gonna take to set up I need to double it or more. Even having a ton of prep done last year it still took 2x+ as long to set up as guessed with just 3 people by the time it was all set and plugged in I just crossed my figures and hit it even with FireTEK telling me I had issues on the controller. Turned out pretty good overall but possibly could have fixed the issues if I had more time.

Finale 3d is amazing especially going from essentially a spreadsheet programming software (PIC) to what is a very powerful and visual tool. $350 is alot for 1x a year but for me it's a necessity.

Lol, I learned last year that failure to prep/ not giving myself enough time to set up = finish setup with flashlights and delays start time by an hour or more. This year I'm getting started the day prior measuring out distances and setting up all racks ect.

Laurian is giving me 6 months of Finale 3d which will get me through this years show. Next year I'll probably go the $350 route to incorporate the dmx.

topshelfpyro
04-09-2022, 04:55 PM
Lol, I learned last year that failure to prep/ not giving myself enough time to set up = finish setup with flashlights and delays start time by an hour or more. This year I'm getting started the day prior measuring out distances and setting up all racks ect.

Laurian is giving me 6 months of Finale 3d which will get me through this years show. Next year I'll probably go the $350 route to incorporate the dmx.

Oh I know what setting up with Headlamps is like. Lol. Last year we had everything labeled, matched, positions marked, etc. I thought hey no problem we just have to set it out and plug it in ( we started at 10am) ....I won't make that mistake this year again. Haha.
Best of luck on your show! I believe you will be quite pleased with your new toys.

esgrillo
04-09-2022, 10:54 PM

Like topshelfpyro said, we all started in the same spot. Takes some time and there is a learning curve for sure on product selection, timing, and all the other chorography. The DMX is a big layer of complexity and additional work especially on set up so I would recommend get some fireworks only shows under your belt first.

Good luck with your new system

Okimarine
04-09-2022, 11:19 PM
Like topshelfpyro said, we all started in the same spot. Takes some time and there is a learning curve for sure on product selection, timing, and all the other chorography. The DMX is a big layer of complexity and additional work especially on set up so I would recommend get some fireworks only shows under your belt first.

Good luck with your new system

Good advice for sure and definitely all I'm going to do this year. I may purchase a couple cheap flame machines or something to play around with later this year but no plans to include any dmx this year in my shows.

esgrillo
04-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Good advice for sure and definitely all I'm going to do this year. I may purchase a couple cheap flame machines or something to play around with later this year but no plans to include any dmx this year in my shows.

Just an FYI... There is a WIDE range of quality in even the cheap flame machines and this is even within one brand. I got single flame machines from moka a few years ago and they were terrible. The seal material for the fuel was made out of rubber and leaked after the 1st or second time of use. The company started selling a new version with nitrile seals that have been good for me since. (they gave me a heavy discount on the new ones) I got the twin can twin igniter version and they are very reliable going on 3 yrs now. https://www.mokalighting.com/products/moka-sfx-h-e02-dual-head-flame-machine

This is the one used in my show the last couple of years... I have 5 of them.

topshelfpyro
04-10-2022, 05:42 PM
Just an FYI... There is a WIDE range of quality in even the cheap flame machines and this is even within one brand. I got single flame machines from moka a few years ago and they were terrible. The seal material for the fuel was made out of rubber and leaked after the 1st or second time of use. The company started selling a new version with nitrile seals that have been good for me since. (they gave me a heavy discount on the new ones) I got the twin can twin igniter version and they are very reliable going on 3 yrs now. https://www.mokalighting.com/products/moka-sfx-h-e02-dual-head-flame-machine

What Ed said! I have the Moka single head units, out of 12 now, I had 1 of the last 6 arrive that the valve will not open to allow the fuel out. Working on the resolution with Moka. Last year I tested 2 with 2 cans of fuel each and then put them back in the box and they sat in the garage for over a year. Worked perfectly when testing this year. FWIW The Moka units can be daisy chained with both DMX and power con cables as well! I only have to run the power to the first one, the rest are jumpered from there with 25' cables.

Scotty Rockets
04-10-2022, 06:34 PM

Wow, good to know that they improved the seal material, I just sold my 4 spray the fire units at a huge discount because the seals were starting to leak slightly. I have 4 of the e03 units that bought last fall and still in boxes, I need to test them out soon.

Arclight
04-10-2022, 08:18 PM
I'm interested in seeing how y'all compare the Cobra and FireTek systems. From what I've seen so far, the Cobra is easy, polished and more than powerful enough for an advanced hobbyist. The FireTek seems to be designed more like the equipment we use for blasting - hardwired capability, additional interlocks, etc. So it's probably extremely reliable and has features that would be important to a fixed operator like a stadium or amusement park. I got to see both at the Western Blast event and I feel like the build quality on both was excellent.

topshelfpyro
04-10-2022, 10:46 PM
I'm interested in seeing how y'all compare the Cobra and FireTek systems. From what I've seen so far, the Cobra is easy, polished and more than powerful enough for an advanced hobbyist. The FireTek seems to be designed more like the equipment we use for blasting - hardwired capability, additional interlocks, etc. So it's probably extremely reliable and has features that would be important to a fixed operator like a stadium or amusement park. I got to see both at the Western Blast event and I feel like the build quality on both was excellent.

Personally I bought into the FireTEK system twice. First time when it was white (sold it because of shoot site issues) and then again when the 48FX was released and now with the FTQ64. When I compared all the systems that I was willing to pay for FireTEK always came out on top regarding versatility, useability, feature set, support (I've literally sent an email to Laurian at 2am his time expecting a response the next day and got a reply within the hour) overall cost etc.

Scotty Rockets
04-10-2022, 10:47 PM

It's really going to come down to personal tastes. Both compare favorably well, from csv script format, 2.4ghz wireless, mesh network, 1/100th firing resolution.

I been a firetek customer user since 2010. Why I chose firetek, the biggest reason is it's small portable size cased in fire resistant fiberglass, wired external slats (which wasn't offered by cobra it that time), smpte time code so no need for an additional audio box, although I have recently purchased the firetek wireless music sync box in search for higher audio quality and an external wireless devise. Customer service from Laurian has been and always been exceptional, I know this is always a selling point on cobra.

I have had owned some cobra equipment in the past, a remote and 3 18m modules. I purchased basically to see what the hype was about, I've since sold that equipment in favor of single shot racks.

Okimarine
04-12-2022, 06:45 AM
(I've literally sent an email to Laurian at 2am his time expecting a response the next day and got a reply within the hour)

Ive had the same thing happen to me. Hopefully im not waking him at those hours since the emails were general questions and not overly important. I recieved my order yesterday btw.

WithReport
04-12-2022, 09:29 AM
Ive had the same thing happen to me. Hopefully im not waking him at those hours since the emails were general questions and not overly important. I recieved my order yesterday btw.

Hey congrats on the order. I first came across fireTEK through Dave's videos on this discussion board. The thing that initially impressed me was the redundancy and flexibility of the system. I also really liked the monitoring and feedback provided on an easy to read screen - rather than a few segmented character LED modules. And yes, Laurian is very responsive. There are some knowledgeable users on this discussion board and also a helpful user group on FB.

A good firing system does three basic things: 1) safely let you fire pyro from a distance, 2) allow you to synchronize firing to a script - with or without synchronized audio, 3) encourage you to spend more and more money on fireworks :cool:.

I'm a hobbyist and own both systems - I could say I'm interested in all firing systems, but I really like my fireTEK devices. Cobra does a tremendous amount of impressive marketing and is very popular. I've updated my Cobra 18R2 to TC and updated the FW on my 18ms, but but haven't really used them since PGI 2018. fireTEK has had TC for years - options to both receive and generate. fireTEK was also the first with wireless Mesh and the first with DMX. And, fireTEK was the first to come out with Bluetooth control through a phone on the legacy equipment, but I really don't care for direct control from a phone - I prefer a dedicated handheld controller, which both systems provide (Sorry Cobra Ignite and fireFly). There are certainly pros and cons with all systems - just like everything else. As a hobbyist I do like the compact size of the fireTEK devices - up to 64 cues from a device about the size of a paperback book.

For me one of the thing that makes fireTEK stand out from all other systems is the ability for any fireTEK device to act as a master controller. The thought that the results of all my time, effort, and money is dependent on the availability of a single device - a controller/remote, is a bit worrisome. If it is missing/stolen, damaged, or malfunctioning at the last minute the show does not go on - for most systems. You could purchase a second backup controller, but as a hobbyist money can be tight. With fireTEK you can configure any device (even the "field modules") to function as a master controller. You may loose some of the real-time monitoring, but you have the ability to safely arm, play, pause, resume, and stop a script for the show.

topshelfpyro
04-12-2022, 10:48 AM

I always feel the same way!

SWEET!! It's always like my B-Day (to myself) when I get that Fedex package from Romania! Enjoy your toys! My last box had the Music box(it's amazingly good) and the little 4x16 with DMX (it's literally pocket sized).

6afraidof7
04-12-2022, 01:44 PM
Do you mind if I ask, where were you able to purchase the Firetek equipment? I haven't been able to and cannot figure out how to buy or where to get Firetek, there website hasn't been working for me for at least 6 months. Are you on a special mailing list? Seeing and hearing of new features is kind of like leading the kids on with cool things a new Xbox can do and then never have them in stock or at MSRP, how fricken cruel is that.

So is there a way or place to buy Firetek equipment in the USA?

esgrillo
04-12-2022, 03:53 PM
FYI firetek is the defendant in an active legal battle with FireOne for copyright infringement. Not sure what long term impact that will have if they lose.

Scotty Rockets
04-12-2022, 06:48 PM
FYI firetek is the defendant in an active legal battle with FireOne for copyright infringement. Not sure what long term impact that will have if they lose.

I am not at liberty to say anything, but I am not worried. Matter of fact my confidence shows with both recent purchases of the 4x16 sfx and the new music sync box.

topshelfpyro
04-12-2022, 08:08 PM
Do you mind if I ask, where were you able to purchase the Firetek equipment? I haven't been able to and cannot figure out how to buy or where to get Firetek, there website hasn't been working for me for at least 6 months. Are you on a special mailing list? Seeing and hearing of new features is kind of like leading the kids on with cool things a new Xbox can do and then never have them in stock or at MSRP, how fricken cruel is that.

Not directly in the USA. You currently have to go direct. You can message FireTEK directly thru FB or office@ftek.eu

topshelfpyro
04-12-2022, 08:15 PM

Everyone is sue happy while the ones profiting are the lawyers......I'm not worried and continue to buy more cues/rails when I can.

Okimarine
04-12-2022, 09:55 PM

You can contact office@ftek.eu for pricing and purchase. Laurian responds and ships quickly. Purchase made on the 4th, shipped on the 8th, received from Romania on the 11th.

6afraidof7
04-13-2022, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the info!

esgrillo
04-13-2022, 09:08 AM
Back to the + and - of Cobra and Firetek....

Never have owned a Firetek but reading the comments from the people that own them in these forums I am sure they are a good system. I am a Cobra owner for many years and I completely understand that it is human nature to want to say you have the "best" system. I can't honestly do a side by side because I have never seen a Firetek in action but my experience with Cobra has been very good.

The customer service is without comparison and most Cobra owners have a "Scott Smith" middle of the night or shoot day story which he helped you with an issue over the phone personally. I do have one of those stories so they do really happen. I can elaborate if you want.

Cobra has added features over the years which Firetek had native like DMX so that was an advantage that has since gone away. Cobra was always able to trigger my DMX software via the Cobra Audiobox which is what I did so that was never an issue for me. Plus if you are a DMX user, there is no way any of the built in DMX capabilities can realistically operate full features of a moving head light for example. I have 4 moving head lights that have 20 DMX channels each and manually programming each of those channels in fireworks software to a moving arc chase sequence for them would be so time consuming it would take hundreds of hours of programming. Those movements take thousands of lines of code and are honestly best done in DMX programming software. I use Compu SDE software for example. The built in DMX for Cobra and Firetek is best suited for on of devices like can lights and flames.

Cobra is based in upstate NY and has a very large user base in the US. A lot of backyard guys use this that system. I have been able to borrow modules from other Cobra users for shows since they have a pretty large footprint in the US. I don't know how many Firetek owners there are in the US but I am pretty confident it is significantly smaller. I am guessing they are bigger in Europe since they are based in Romania?? For example Cobra just had a gathering of users (Indiana I think) at a conference to train, exchange ideas, meet users, shoot some shows, etc... The Cobra community is big. Cobra has a couple of ways to run a pyromusical (timecode and Audiobox). I use the Audiobox. It is super easy to use and allows perfect synchronization without the need for any timecode. You can output from the Audiobox directly into just about any audio system input.

That brings me to another point. Firetek is not based in the US and it even sounds like they do not have a functioning website. I would find the first point someone concerning and the second point very concerning. You can make any excurse you want for the website issue but to not have one for months and have to email an order in is pretty ridiculous IMO.

I have had the need to send back some heavy slat cables to Cobra and it was a very easy low cost process with them based in the US. It would have not been the case if I had to send it over seas. They even made the exchange for free. I am sure the Firetek users will say that is not an issue with their system but overseas service is for me on a system so expensive. Also Cobra has a lifetime warranty on their product.

Finally although a couple have mentioned it is no big deal, but there is an active lawsuit against Firetek for stealing the technology to allow them to operate Fireone modules without the permission of Fireone. That is pretty shady IMO that it had to come to a lawsuit which means they decided to ignore a cease and desist order which I am sure came first. You can look up the case online if you want. To me, a pending lawsuit that can have significant financial implications to a company is a problem.

Make your own decision, I am sure both systems operate great. I have no skin in the game with Cobra. I am just a guy that purchased a 2 modules and an 18R2 10 years ago. Both of them still work perfectly along with the dozens of other modules and slats I have bought since then. The have been upgraded with revised software more more than once and I have done several hardware upgrades on them and other modules as Cobra added more features over the years. None of the equipment I have purchase has ever gone obsolete over that span. I know the Firetek guys like their systems too and can come up with their own reasons why it is a better option. Just offering my experience with Cobra.

Scotty Rockets
04-13-2022, 09:32 AM
It’s not a competition and I never referred to a particular system as the “best” system. Your reply almost seems like a vendetta against fireTEK. Anyway I’m a 12 year user/customer here, and very satisfied. Be that it may not be a US company, fireTEK takes good care of its customers. Team fireTEK USA is the US representative who takes care of many US deliveries, shipments, and the US trade booths. fireTEK has always lacked in marketing, but fireTEK has a fairly large and very satisfied user base world wide. Let’s see where the lawsuit goes until we take swings from the F1 camp. You’d be surprised about some of the details that favor fireTEK.

fireTEK
04-13-2022, 04:54 PM

Regarding this trial we have it with F1 few comments
1. First of all if F1 consider it worth to spend money on sue Firetek means see F1 see Firetek as a threat for their market and this can be only if it is a good system which can be an alternative for F1 on lower price.
2. This trial only refers to devices compatible with F1 which was never for sold in US. Anyway we have F1 clients who bought (switch) firetek before we create this compatibility.
3. I choose to fight with them because I know I am right and I am not a guy who give up or put the head down because he is afraid even he needs to fight with one of the biggest company from the industry on his field. I will fight till end even it is not a easy fight and in my opinion US justice may not be so fair when you are not an US Company. But the "war" is not over yet and I think (hope) the justice will win after all.
4. You can read more about the case on an article written by an US law professor which has nothing to do with Firetek:
https://writtendescription.blogspot.com/2021/03/waiting-for-google.html
5. How this trial will end will not affect Firetek company, current or future clients at all. We are more affected by electronic components shortage and Coronavirus situation.

Regarding Firetek vs Others... as in all situations you need to play with it few times and understand it to make a fair comparison... after all the best system for you is the one you know.
Regarding Firetek website... I totally agree with you and it is our fault was not done... we working to resolve it.

WithReport
04-20-2022, 12:59 AM
I've read up much on the lawsuit from the public records - court submittals and many of the transcripts. It is quite interesting. I was surprised to learn that FireOne had neither a patent or a copyright on the specific aspects in question. They obtained a copyright after the claimed prototype devices were developed simply to sue fireTEK - which is documented in the court transcript. Without any legal patent or copyright I don't know what was "stolen" at the time of development, but I guess that is for the court to sort out. Another interesting thing is there are other similar devices already on the market that interface with FireOne.

I'm just a backyarder/hobbyist and have never used FireOne - they are quite expensive. We are lucky there are lots of choices and competition in the firing system market. We've seen the competition advance technology across the systems in the price range for the advanced backyarders and hobbyist.

bigmike06
06-13-2022, 03:05 PM
I know this thread is a few months old, but I haven't been on the board in a few months. I would like to add my reasoning behind choosing FireTek over Cobra. I currently own both. In fact I have 2 brand new never used 72m's sitting on the shelf as I type this. I'm in no way trying to discredit or bash Cobra in any way. Does Cobra offer exceptional customer service? Yes they do. But I have received exceptional service from Laurian also. Sometimes I wounder when the guy sleeps. He has reached out to me and asked if I was OK, and if I needed any help before a show. I'm a no body in the grand scheme of things.

Why did I change from Cobra to FireTek?

When I made the switch Cobra still hadn't released DMX, yet talked about it for almost 2 years. I'm not sure what DMX limit is on Cobra, but the limit on FireTek is something like 2000 lines. I personally had over 1200 last year in my show. The new FireTek FTQ modules and the remote are made of fire resistant materials. How many pictures have you seen of cobra modules burned down to the ground. Sure they will give you a discount on a replacement, (or so I have heard) but they still choose not to change anything about it. Laurian made a few videos of driving over the modules with a car, even parking the car on the module and it still fires. While I don't advocate driving over your module, we all know shit happens in the field. You have to be pretty confident in you equipment to park a car on it. Haven't seen anyone try replicating that from the Cobra camp.

When it is time to update the systems Cobra needs a $100 programmer, FireTek needs any old thumb drive you have laying around. On all the modules except the 72m's a lipo battery is an up-charge. In this day and age who wants to lug around a bunch of 9 volt batteries, let alone buy them. The lipo option gets you 14 volts of firing power, while the FireTek has around 28-30 volts of firing power. The FireTek modules not only show continuity of a cue, but it will let you know how good of a connection you have. It reads the resistance and adjust accordingly to make sure you get a fire of that cue. When it comes time to charge them, Cobra needs a 20 volt wall wort battery charger. FireTek requires any USB power you most likely already have laying around from numerous other electronics you own. What happens when your in the field and need a charge? FireTek can be charged from a portable phone charger. Now you might say who goes out into the field with dead batteries? Well it has happened, and as we all know shit happens.

While you can get onboard ques with Cobra, FireTek is only available with slats. While all of my 72m's are onboard, I quickly learned that was not the best option. Just to many wires in a small area, and it limits your placement of product. No fault of Cobra, that's all mine. The Cobra slats are like $65 each, while the FireTek are half that. The FireTek slats have lights right on them, no running back to the module to check if you fixed the problem. But the real kicker is the cables. The Cobra cables for a 33ft cable is $50 up to $90 for a 82ft cable. Also the weight of those cables adds up fast. I have all my FireTek cables in milk crates sorted by length. My 100ft milk crate cant weigh anymore then 20-25 pounds. I have 1100 feet of cables in that crate. I think I paid $11.49 for my 100ft cables, and $3.50 for 25ft cables for my FireTek. I have had 2 100ft cables burned from cake fires. If I was using Cobra cables that would have hurt. In my case I cut the burned end off and crimped a new end on. Now i have 2 more 75ft cables. No lost of sleep there. I'm sure the Cobra cables can be cut and repaired, but when you are paying better then a $1 a foot, that sucks to lose any.

When it comes to the remotes the Cobra limited 3 segment and 2 segment Numeric display has nothing on the FireTek digital display. Again Li Po is an newer upgrade with Cobra, while it has been standard with FireTek. As with the modules, the Firetek is charged with a USB power. The remote is cheaper with Cobra and I will give them that. But it is just a basic remote while the FireTek is vastly superior with its capabilities. When I scroll through the modules from the FireTek remote, it is the same screen as if you were at the module in person. You can see all cues, battery voltage, firing voltage, signal strength to name a few. As has been posted before me, the FireTek can receive, or transmit Time-code, been doing it for years. Again this is just now a new option for Cobra. The remote can also output audio, but I will be the first to admit it isn't the best quality. But if you were broadcasting over cheap PA speakers at a race track, or other sporting event it is more then acceptable. With Cobra this isn't even an option. As has been mentioned before, the remote is not mandatory for shooting the show. With Cobra the remote has the script. No remote, no show. FireTek puts the script into the module. Each module knows what it needs to do. It doesn't need the remote to tell it when its time to fire. The FireTek modules can also be triggered from an external source like another firing system, with Cobra not an option. FireTek also has little baby remotes that can trigger the show. The Remote also has GPS time to start a show, again not an option for Cobra.

I acknowledge that my onboard 72m's are the largest offering from Cobra when it comes to physical size. But in the same size case I have 4 FTQ module, 25 rails, USB Drives, RJ45 splitters, baby remotes, 4 charging wires, DMX cable, and all the antennas for the modules. If I remove 5 of the rails I can fit 4 of the Fire retardant module covers that isn't required, but help keep the modules clean. That's 256 cues in the same physical space as 72.

Again this is only my opinion after owning and using both systems. If I had to do it again I would still choose FireTek. Except if I did it again I would skip buying the Cobra first.

As far as the lawsuit, that has no effect on my confidence with owning, or buying more FireTek gear in the future. As far as the website, I'm not sure whats going on with that. Again makes no matter to me in my eyes. If I want more gear I know who to get a hold of. I do agree it isn't helping to gain new customers. The one thing I will give Cobra is the Amount of money and PR they do for their system. But it also helps to have guys on payroll with 100's of thousand of subscribers on YouTube to help promote too.

fireTEK
06-30-2022, 05:13 AM

Firetek won the appeal... so the compatible products with Fireone are legal
https://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/211695p.pdf

Okimarine
06-30-2022, 06:05 AM

Great news for fireTek and fireTek equipment owners, thanks for the update.

Scotty Rockets
06-30-2022, 07:10 PM
Awesome!!!!

ssmith512
07-01-2022, 03:20 PM

Even though I am Cobra user, this is really, really good news for us all. Having choices of absolute top notch systems can only help our hobby and keep progress moving forward. Congrats on your appeal win Firetek, it is a bummer you had to deal with the litigation.

bigmike06
07-05-2022, 10:43 AM

Great News