PDA

View Full Version : Assigning DMX to cue on 18R2

Tmaas77572
03-29-2022, 11:47 PM
Was playing around with this years show (and my new cobra equipment) when I came across an interesting thought. Incorporating DMX, is it possible to assign a cue to a DMX channel? Case use scenario, show is over and people are packing up. As I'm heading up to the shoot site I would like to turn on the lights controlled by DMX output.

Is it possible to assign a DMX to a cue so that pressing the button on the remote will turn on the lights, or am I better off building dead air into the end of the script and then activating the lights at a pre-determined time (thinking a minute or so after the show ends).

Scotty Rockets
03-30-2022, 12:34 AM
No, DMX can only be scripted.

Tmaas77572
03-30-2022, 11:50 PM
That's what I figured, but thought I would ask. I will just build it into the end of my script.

Cheers!

Birdman
03-31-2022, 11:42 AM
I actually prefer to inspect the shoot site with little more than a flashlight after the show. The darkness helps me see any fires or glowing embers that can potential turn into fires. I don't light up the site until it's clear and ready for cleanup. Luckily for me cleanup usually doesn't need to be done until the next morning.

esgrillo
03-31-2022, 02:30 PM
I have 4 rotating Chauvet 140SR, 5 flame machines, and a laser running off DMX during my show and to add to what Birdman said, after the show my objective is to get the DMX equipment out of the area as quickly as possible including the cables.

Nothing is really within the "cake fire zone" but there is clearly a lot of activity in the area right after the show and getting those cables out of the way is a plus to eliminate the trip hazard. Plus we are always putting out small cake fires so there is water spraying in the area so getting the lights out of the way is peace of mind for me as well. In my area it seems like the moisture in the air is usually pretty thick and there is always some firing debris on the equipment so getting the equipment out and avoiding getting that layer of dew on the lights makes cleanup a lot easier.

Just my 2 cents based on my site and equipment.

Birdman
04-01-2022, 01:14 PM
I have little AV equipment to deal with but after clearing the site, getting my Cobra gear out of the area is the next priority for the same reasons Ed mentioned about tripping hazards and dew. Typical procedure is I will check my racks for any shells that didn't fire and then I'll check the cakes, Next I'll start disconnecting the wire from my mods one "zone" at a time. From there it depends on my site and setup. In most cases there's no harm in just letting cakes burn. I almost always end up burning my cakes and soaking them down makes that harder to do.