PDA

View Full Version : "Transfer Control of 1.3"

joewad
03-27-2022, 03:00 PM
Sorry for the generic subject, I'm sure proper terminology exists so I'll try to explain situation.
I am a FEL hobbyist shooter that has always operated under contingency storage. I've recently made acquaintance with another 1.3 shooting hobbyist in close proximity. We have discussed and have decided to mix our efforts together. He has also recently located an approved ATF storage structure upon his property. I would like to use his magazine for storage until shoot date. I was thinking that I could add his signature, FEL number, magazine number, etc. upon my purchases, have him sign something to the effect that items were given to him, for his storage on same date I picked items up. Keep a copy for my records. Also maintain a copy of his FEL and magazine structure. My guess, there might be another, more ATF approved form for this type of action. Again, we are both hobbyists and shoot for personal pleasure only. Any ATF form number/information or possibly attachment would be appreciated.

displayfireworks1
03-27-2022, 06:21 PM
If I am reading this correct, when you change your contingency you need to notify the ATF of the change in your original contingency plan. There are hobbyist sharing a magazine. I will defer that answer to anyone that is doing something similar and can answer. If you go forward on this and tell the ATF, be ready for a site visit. Thus, be sure everything is order before you notify them.

Arclight
03-28-2022, 01:13 PM
I would think this is "adding a second contingency option" and he doesn't have to do anything with the supplier. So you would:

1. Buy product as usual.
2. Shoot it or check it in to your friend's magazine. Keep your own record sheet of where you checked in product and the date/quantity. Make sure you do a yearly inventory and make a record of that too.
3. Friend would maintain a copy of your FEL and a separate sheets for the product you store there. He should make a note that the product is owned by "John Smith, FEL #X-XX-XXXX-XXXXX" or something to that effect. That's what I do if I store things for other people as a favor or for money.
4. It gets signed out by you when you show up at his place to shoot it.

Get a contingency letter from your friend and send a copy to your ATF representative. They would almost certainly ask for it at your next inspection.

When they go through your records, they want you to be able to show that everything you acquired was either used or stored properly. Any gaps in the records will make them start asking questions. They want to find out if the product was in a magazine or was sitting in the trunk of your car for 2 weeks.

I would also get a copy of his FEL number, magazine numbers, contact info and the storage address. This can all be on the contingency letter. You will need to have this if asked.

I am going from just my personal experience here, as I just had an inspection and I have contingency letters I wrote for a couple of folks. They didn't care about the non-owned inventory I had stored as long as I had contact info for the owners and was properly accounting for it.

PhilK33
04-04-2022, 07:33 AM
Contact your ATF agent. I recently built a magazine and had friends asking to store their fireworks in my mag. It’s def doable. But alot more paperwork for whoever owns the magazine (variances / records keeping etc). My agent said everyone would need to keep The daily magazine logs, be around for inspection etc. Everyone is responsible for what is in the magazine no matter if it’s yours or not. Again. This is just what I was told

Salutecake
04-04-2022, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure everyone needs to to the logs, I know i have several contingency storage agreement and I do not have to be there for inspections and other things but I do Have a letter of contingency storage and get the paperwork when I remove my stuff. I would imagine. Basically what Arclight said above. Now if you allow your friend(s) access to your mag, rather than you signing out their stuff, then I think the whole thing changes again.

PhilK33
04-04-2022, 09:15 AM
I Just saying what I was told. I’m sure everyone is different. Like I said. Call your atf branch. Have a good day

Salutecake
04-04-2022, 04:45 PM
I agree with you PhilK33, Call your local office.

The only problem is how many different answers you are going to get from the "official people" and you have decide which one makes sense.