PDA

View Full Version : Fake Ball Shells

FinnAmerican
03-13-2022, 12:26 PM
I just received the current Dominator product catalog. Pictured here is the production of "Fake Ball Shells". I guess they're not keeping it a secret...LOL...

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6130&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6131&stc=1

RalphieJ
03-13-2022, 01:06 PM
They're fountains.........

jknepp1954
03-13-2022, 08:02 PM
Whistling Buster fountains? I don't think so....
Remember several yrs ago - 5 to 7 yr - when that 1 shell factory blew up? It was not even caused by the shell mfg - but 1 of the workers did something dumb outside the factory door - and sparks flew inside and blew up. Anyway - supposedly the story goes - its too dangerous to make these 1.75 ball shells anymore - so oyu are not allowed to do that anymore. Anyway cant remember if it was gov issued decree or what. But just seemed to be in that 1 area - so what they were allowed to make is these stupid mini can shells - and sorry but they suck totally worse than there original ball shell counterpart. I think they make have improved quality ever so slightly - but too many complaints about cant shoot them out of tubes - only stupid tubes what comes in box - so they decided to put this FAKE BALL SHELL covering over them - so now it can be launched out of regular 1.75" tubes - but still the same crappy mini can shell.
Or at least this is what i have been told.....

Scotty Rockets
03-14-2022, 12:59 AM
LOL, it never was a secret. These kits are used to entice customers, buy x amount and get a free box of shells, or advertised as a $5 shell kit to get folks in the door.

Real ball shells still exist as we know but there are less factories in China making them.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-14-2022, 10:01 AM
I miss the Behai ball shells!!!

Birdman
03-14-2022, 01:39 PM
I think they make have improved quality ever so slightly - but too many complaints about cant shoot them out of tubes - only stupid tubes what comes in box - so they decided to put this FAKE BALL SHELL covering over them - so now it can be launched out of regular 1.75" tubes - but still the same crappy mini can shell.
Or at least this is what i have been told.....

I picked up a couple of boxes of these years ago. The tubes they came with got rained on before I shot them all so I just had them laying around. When I got my first HDPE tubes I tried lighting one from those but it was a loose fit so it had a low break. I suspect the original tube was slightly smaller. I still have a couple around that I use as conversation/educational pieces.

jamisonlm3
03-14-2022, 07:33 PM
Yeah, this is nothing new. There are a few real ball shells out there that are actually really good, but most ball shells are just meh. Since the cost of shipping shot up, some brands have worked on better, lighter shells that are cheaper to ship than canister shells. Magnus seems to be one of them with their new 2022 ball shells. Heck, I've seen some 4" canister shells coming out even though you'd think the big ticket item is the 6" and 7" shells now. Raccoon has some.