PDA

View Full Version : Barge Show

MidwestPyrotechnics
03-08-2022, 11:15 PM
I got a call from someone needing a show shot from a barge. I?ve assisted on barge shows but have never been a lead on one.

Can anyone help me understand the insurance and permitting required to shoot from a barge? Is this something I could even do without being contracted through someone else?

Thanks!

displayfireworks1
03-09-2022, 08:19 PM
I'm curious what is the budget on this display and the date? Is this an event that has annual fireworks for this event or is this a new event?

pyromagic
03-09-2022, 11:29 PM
Barge shows require one more level of insurance USL&H or longshoreman's insurance. It's not cheap...

MidwestPyrotechnics
03-10-2022, 12:20 AM
This is an annual event. This year on the 2nd. My assumption is that with the increased price on 1.3 this year they’re opening up to bids to try and save money. They sent me a shoot list from last year but not an actual budget.

MidwestPyrotechnics
03-10-2022, 12:27 AM
Barge shows require one more level of insurance USL&H or longshoreman's insurance. It's not cheap...

Would that be the same as P&I? My insurance rep stated that adding the barge protection would not change my premium but some places require P&I which would set me back about 30k.

My other concern is from what I’ve seen online is that Marine Event Permits from the Coast Guard have to be applied for 135 days prior to the event. Which would be the end of July.

displayfireworks1
03-10-2022, 09:23 PM
I would be suspicious of someone sending you a shoot list rather than a budget . Someone organizing the event is trying to use you I suspect. There are taking the shoot sheet from a bid they already received and trying to use you to come up with a price. They will then take what you submit and say we found a guy that can shoot this EXACT shoot sheet for less. Shooting a fireworks display on July 2, 2022 (Saturday) is essentially a July 4th shoot. Most display companies charge more and/or a minimum budget for shows on the July 4th holiday.