PDA

View Full Version : Shapes with COMET?S

PyroFL
01-26-2022, 09:14 PM
Looking to see if anyone has tried or been successful with using comets to make shapes.l or letters?

Sample:

I thought about taking 5 4x8 sheets OBS, glue down single comets to make U S A and a couple of stars on each side

I remember seeing something like this on TV but not sure any backyard guys have done it successfully

If this doesn?t work am looking for some ideas Pyro?s to WOW everyone this year. In 2021 I did fireworks on the pond which everyone went crazy about and now I need to think of something again out of the box ... if anyone has some ideas I would like to hear them

Birdman
01-26-2022, 11:38 PM
It can be done. Spirit of 76 sells the racks and the comets, I believe. I think finale 3D can be used to script it. It was discussed here (https://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8310-how-is-this-accomplished&highlight=Pyro+printing).

Scotty Rockets
01-27-2022, 04:08 AM
Letter racks like 76 sells are expensive but work, around 500 a piece. I know a guy that built his own wooden letter racks that worked very well in his pro-am at skywars 2020. You do need a specialized mine that Dominator sells. You can also do what is called pyro printing were comets are fired in a timed pattern as seen here at the 2:40 mark https://youtu.be/5gJsSIivFQ4

standles
01-27-2022, 09:48 AM
When you say glue down comets to OSB that implies to me that these are not airborne but more of a display piece. If that is so wouldn't a frame using lances or possible gerbs be lighter and last longer? Did I miss the intent?

PyroFL
01-27-2022, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone this has given me some ideas to run with and testing.

Standles

This would be airborn ... I would take the build a box with 2x4 that the tube would slip into and glue it down ... also thought about using stakes and taping the tubes to them

PyroJoeNEPA
01-27-2022, 05:19 PM
There are a lot of "moving parts" to consider in order to make this work. First off, the comets must be precision loads to ensure consistent lift [placement in the sky] and burn time. Next, the angles are VERY tricky to get the pattern you want--typically, in a pro display, the mines are on an angle facing the audience [a no-no for the home hobby level display]. Distance here is your friend. Next, the mines need to be e-fired simultaneously--or in a tight sequence-depending on the desired pattern.
Malta has done some beautiful "sky writing" displays over the last couple years as well as China.
Most of the "pro displays" utilizing the technology here [Grucci & others] make-or have the devices made to their specifics.
"Off the shelf" comets & mines will [sort of] get you what you want to achieve, but, like others have said, the racks are quite expensive [and bulky].
If you want to ass something different to your display, think about doing a set piece with lances, or several large wheels. a "Catherine Wheel"--two wheels on the same axis turning in opposite directions will definitely be a jaw dropper for your audience.
Look at some of the wheels in videos of Malta and Mexico if you want to get some ideas.

PyroFL
01-29-2022, 01:13 PM
Thanks Joe!

I looked into everything and this year would put me out of budget.

Going to keep those ideas in my back pocket for maybe next year.

Even thinking a waterfall over a corner of the lake but we will see.

Thanks

PyroJoeNEPA
01-29-2022, 08:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DEhHGkrg3M

Video from StyerFyre from 2016. Interesting.