PDA

View Full Version : NOABs E-matched to fire separately

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 11:43 AM
In light of the some of shortages of single shot pro items, I am wondering if I could re-engineer a NOAB to fire some of the tubes individually instead of as group of 9. I got really good and poking cakes last year and I am thinking it would just be a matter of removing the fuse in between the tubes and poking each one with a MJG e-match.

Has anyone does this before? Besides the usual safety measures taken when poking a cake, is there anything else I should know?

Thanks
Bob

PyroFL
01-07-2022, 05:39 PM
Yes sir!

I did it last year for the first time and it worked great.

We only had problems with 4 that were all the same. After taking the tubes apart we found each one had a shell in it ... still don?t know how they fused them in China to make them work

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6103&stc=1

Arclight
01-07-2022, 06:05 PM
Sometimes they have a channel connecting them all at the bottom.

displayfireworks1
01-07-2022, 09:45 PM
Before this Articles of Pyrotechnics category became what it is today, this is what some of the competitors did at the PGI conventions. Once they knew what the performance was of a multi-shot Consumer Fireworks cake , they would start removing certain mortars and re-stabilizing and/or angling them to fire independently. Of course you really need to know what you are doing to properly do this. If anyone wants to do this, expect a steep learning curve and some errors. I'm going to use an old drag racing term to describe this sort of thing. The term is "Factory Experimental". The now easier way is to purchase proper Article of Pyrotechnic products and the racks designed to accommodate the AP products,

BMoore
01-07-2022, 09:46 PM
If you poke them and feel black powder you are golden. If you poke and hit air it?s probably a separate shell with its own lift cup and that gets a little more iffy. Usually these are built with a black powder slurry to transfer fire from the visco run to the shell. You might want to try to stick a bit of fast fuse into your initiator before inserting it as the fire from the initiator alone may not be enough. Most important thing is to make sure you poke exactly next to and parallel to the fuse hole. If you inadvertently poke into the shell rather than the lift you have a big problem.

RoosterWalt
01-07-2022, 10:17 PM
I've messed up a few tubes pulling out fuse in the beginning - so now I've started to just cut the visco at and angle with just a little bit sticking out. Then stuff the redcap over it and wedge it into the tube hole. This has worked every time so far... the only thing is the timing is quick but not instant like when you match an artillery shells or a cake tube.

I've opened a few 3" tubes that got messed up - and there are various ways that they simulate the 3" ball shell... this is why if you pull the fuse out - it's unlikely you'll get it matched. It's not like a cake tube where the BP is right there... the noabs are done differently.

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 10:45 PM
As usual, you are wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 10:47 PM
Yes sir!

I did it last year for the first time and it worked great.

We only had problems with 4 that were all the same. After taking the tubes apart we found each one had a shell in it ... still don?t know how they fused them in China to make them work

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6103&stc=1

hmm...you are doing in the picture what I was thinking, but I hear what you are saying as well...may or may not be as easy as I think.

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 10:48 PM
Sometimes they have a channel connecting them all at the bottom.

Thanks...I knew there had to be more to this.

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 10:50 PM
Before this Articles of Pyrotechnics category became what it is today, this is what some of the competitors did at the PGI conventions. Once they knew what the performance was of a multi-shot Consumer Fireworks cake , they would start removing certain mortars and re-stabilizing and/or angling them to fire independently. Of course you really need to know what you are doing to properly do this. If anyone wants to do this, expect a steep learning curve and some errors. I'm going to use an old drag racing term to describe this sort of thing. The term is "Factory Experimental". The now easier way is to purchase proper Article of Pyrotechnic products and the racks designed to accommodate the AP products,

Thank you, I think I will stick to what I know works safely....I don't want something blowing up sideways on a platform. I will just hope some AOP stuff comes in later this spring.

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 10:52 PM
I've messed up a few tubes pulling out fuse in the beginning - so now I've started to just cut the visco at and angle with just a little bit sticking out. Then stuff the redcap over it and wedge it into the tube hole. This has worked every time so far... the only thing is the timing is quick but not instant like when you match an artillery shells or a cake tube.

I've opened a few 3" tubes that got messed up - and there are various ways that they simulate the 3" ball shell... this is why if you pull the fuse out - it's unlikely you'll get it matched. It's not like a cake tube where the BP is right there... the noabs are done differently.

Yeah, as I read through all these responses ...there is clearly more to it than I thought. Thanks!

SystemXpert
01-07-2022, 10:53 PM
If you poke them and feel black powder you are golden. If you poke and hit air it?s probably a separate shell with its own lift cup and that gets a little more iffy. Usually these are built with a black powder slurry to transfer fire from the visco run to the shell. You might want to try to stick a bit of fast fuse into your initiator before inserting it as the fire from the initiator alone may not be enough. Most important thing is to make sure you poke exactly next to and parallel to the fuse hole. If you inadvertently poke into the shell rather than the lift you have a big problem.

I am going to rethink this idea, I am no sure it will work the way I think it will anymore. thanks!

PyroFL
01-12-2022, 01:14 PM
I would just poke the tube and put a e-match in. All but one didn’t work as it had a shell inside.

We didn’t cut the fuse at all, just used the poker right in the same hole and put the e-match in. Done!

Here are the ones we e-matched and it worked

Whacky tobacky
Majestic brocades
Mother of all bombs
Battle cry
And a few more I can’t say as they don’t advertise here

The one that didn’t work was

Fist bump

We will be doing it again this year but not as many to help with cost we will get some single 1.4 PRO

mguerra
01-20-2022, 05:26 PM
Get your ATF 54 and a Texas pyro license and then get 1.3G 3" shells. They are cheaper than a NOAB. And easy to match! Getting those two licenses is fairly easy...

SystemXpert
01-20-2022, 10:16 PM
Get your ATF 54 and a Texas pyro license and then get 1.3G 3" shells. They are cheaper than a NOAB. And easy to match! Getting those two licenses is fairly easy...

I?ve got the TX Pyro License, I have been thinking about that ATF 54. The limiting factor for me is I don?t live in an area where I could have a magazine. I plan to get Dave?s DVDs on how to apply hoping there is a way to do it.