PDA

View Full Version : New rules coming to PA?

Salutecake
12-15-2021, 08:56 AM
For PA residence, here is something to chow chow about.

PENNSYLVANIA ? Forthcoming legislation in the Pennsylvania General Assembly would outlaw public fireworks on all but four days a year, citing complaints from groups sensitive to loud noises as well as a recent increase in injuries statewide.
The soon to be introduced bill, from State. Sen Mario M. Scavello, would make fireworks illegal save for a few hours on the traditional fireworks-oriented holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, and New Year's Eve.

Scavello said that he's heard complaints from many residents about the current state of fireworks in Pennsylvania, specifically noting "seniors, veterans, parents with small children, and people with pets." That in addition to complaints from municipal leaders and emergency responders.

The bill would also change where fireworks can be set off: they would need to be at least 500 feet from a residential property line and 2,500 feet from a farm property line under the new proposal.

jamisonlm3
12-15-2021, 11:47 AM
That basically make it illegal to shoot from the street in front of your house? Sounds like you still be able to, just you won't be able to find a spot to do it the few days you can.

bingsbaits
12-15-2021, 01:27 PM
So my 60 acre farm would be off limits because I am surrounded by farmland. Someone else can break it to my amish neighbors that enjoy the heck out of the fireworks show..

Birdman
12-15-2021, 02:36 PM
The 150' setback which is currently law already makes it illegal in most residential neighborhoods. These changes do very little to solve the complaints. Most people are not following the laws anyway. All I really care about is being able to purchase and posses fireworks.

RalphieJ
12-15-2021, 03:46 PM
A bad law is difficult to enforce. NY law forbids the sale, possession, or use of aerial fireworks and ground salutes. Last 4th it sounded like the Battle of the Bulge around here. The police did nothing to thwart it.

jknepp1954
12-15-2021, 06:33 PM
Folks - don't get your feathers all ruffled up just yet. This was just a hearing platform - i watched the whole thing from beginning to end. They just wanted to get input from ALL FACTIONS - state legislaators, PSP, Local/city police, Fire Dept, EMS, Twp, Cities, boroughs, and finally our fireworks industry. From my intake as well as my son when we watched this to the end - there seems to be 2 main focal points - education and enforcement. All the folks agree you cant educate and enforce STUPID!
I am sure you have heard either first or second incidences of many problems - ongoing fireworks all times of the year, all times of the day. Both Sen Yaw and Sen Vogul was on the hearing board, and both agreed our law needs some tweeking to come up with more sensicle standards. one thought is no fireworks at all between 11 pm and 10 am - that makes sense. I sure don't want to hear them at 2 or 3 in the morning - and i do even in our local rural community. And then extend that time to 1 am on the 3rd and 4th. And that kinda makes sense too - get it out of your system and be done with it.
Another thought was to restrict to certains dates to put off - I am not good with that at all.....
probably the most talked about issue was the 150 ft rule. is it far enough - does it need to be further - if so how much further....
PSP has no database for amounts of calls, arrests, fines or anything specifically in numbers only saying generically that get lots and takes up alot of their time - only to find out no one there is shooting fireworks by the time they get there most of the times.
Bottom line law is only good if it can be enforced. thoughts of raising fines to much higher levels - now currently only $100 fine. Should we do a tierd system - $1000 first time, $2000 2nd time, $3000 3rd and following times?
Just my own personal thoughts as i watched the hearing.

EDIT - sorry misread the orriginal post. duh....
again - don't get your panties in a bunch anyway - there are i think like between 6 to 8 bills concerning some type of thoughts on the fireworks bill. From total abolishing to only mild time limits and stiffer fines. Something is going to be done eventually by and by - but what? and when - time will tell
AND THAT IS WHAT THE HEARING IN hARRISBURG WAS ALL ABOUT TODAY!

displayfireworks1
12-15-2021, 09:14 PM
Here is at least one video clip I found from this State Senator. Would be great to find the entire meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HSVwsl_V0A

jknepp1954
12-16-2021, 08:10 AM
Heres a link to the entire meeting. I am not sure how long this link will be available -
https://www.pahousegop.com/Video/Agriculture-and-Rural-Affairs
about 1 hr and 40 min long

displayfireworks1
12-18-2021, 07:39 PM
Thanks Joyce for posting the link , Don't worry how long the link will be there. I capture it. Please note in the video at 1:23:58 . As soon as the representative from Phantom Fireworks presented the opinion for the industry, most of them left. You can hear him comment something along the lines of why is everyone gone. I have more to comment on this, for now , here is the Pennsylvania meeting. Watch that woman with the red dress run off when its Danial Peart turn to speak. . She has an edited video of just her speaking on her YouTube channel so her constituents think she is doing her part. Fake ass B.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFIugbqRQJg

displayfireworks1
12-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Adding Pennsylvania Consumer Fireworks Tax link to post.
https://www.revenue.pa.gov/TaxTypes/SUT/Documents/consumer_fireworks_tax_qa.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3IxIvJAgs 6t-Bnsjzj_ll4tMfc4p3Jyblm_XdGzv3TECbT5l92brWkkxc

Rick_In_Tampa
12-22-2021, 05:36 AM
The 150' setback which is currently law already makes it illegal in most residential neighborhoods. These changes do very little to solve the complaints. Most people are not following the laws anyway. All I really care about is being able to purchase and posses fireworks.

The new Florida statute that for the first time actually made it legal to shoot fireworks in Florida has a similar provision. "791.012 Minimum fireworks safety standards.—The outdoor display of fireworks in this state shall be governed by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1123, Code for Fireworks Display, 1995 Edition, approved by the American National Standards Institute." This section also essentially makes it illegal to shoot in the street in front of your house.

The problem with laws like this is, I'd be willing to bet there's not a single cop in my county (and probably the state) that's familiar with NFPA 1123.

Salutecake
12-22-2021, 08:51 AM
Agreed Rick! Not only not familiar with NFPA 1123 but not familiar with the fireworks themselves. One example, close prox, I believe most are 1.4 and some (with permission) can be used within 5 feet of an actor or within 15 feet of an audience and following mfg recomendations used indoors. So why couldn't they be used in front of your house. Just a thought.

jknepp1954
12-22-2021, 04:23 PM
Agreed Rick! Not only not familiar with NFPA 1123 but not familiar with the fireworks themselves. One example, close prox, I believe most are 1.4 and some (with permission) can be used within 5 feet of an actor or within 15 feet of an audience and following mfg recomendations used indoors. So why couldn't they be used in front of your house. Just a thought.

Food for thought - and throw a twist to things.....1.4 pro or close prox is NOT a consumer fireworks per the state definition. so good valid point - how far away is that to be? Those big fan slices actually need more than 150' IMO.....

Salutecake
12-23-2021, 10:01 AM
Well Joyce, with the close prox stuff the distances are usually recommended by the manufacturer that also includes how high the fire goes. You know they are manufactured and tested with strict criteria and are not just sold to anyone.

I think I missed my real point - Most people that complain about fireworks and probably most enforcement people only know (at lest in PA) that fireworks need to be 140 feet away -- They don't know if the firework shot off is a consumer, pro at 70ft per inch or a close prox or regulated by the mfg use, or if it's a pro1.4 it's just a firework being shot off and for me to complain about it. I'm not sure if a big fan slice would be considered something used on a stage(?) but a stage concussion mortar can run pretty close to a small salute, and gerbs used on stage can easily go 20ft high and used within 15 ft of an audience, but again my point, most people don't know and probably most enforcement people are going to still write you up because it's a firework.

displayfireworks1
12-23-2021, 09:24 PM
Rick, do you have any links to post that address this new Florida statute? Article of Pyrotechnics products are not even fireworks so to speak. They are "Articles of Pyrotechnics" . To me , years back Articles of Pyrotechnics may have been fuse, electric match , A-B mixtures etc. Those that know how to get to the proper classification can get a 100 shot air burst (don't say salute) cake approved as an "Article of Pyrotechnic". That only cost about $18,000 pass or fail to get that classification. Probably a little more now.
I thought about some analogies with these classification. In the past I would use the Motrin 200 and Motrin 800 . One is over the counter and the other is by prescription only. I have a new one , LOL. It is propane and its packaging and storage. For example at Walmart , they can stack cases of those small 2 lbs propane tanks in the sporting goods section with no special restrictions. I have seen those small green propane tanks cases stacked at least to 100 little tanks in the aisle. However, when they sell the same propane in 30 lbs. SINGLE containers , it must be stored outside of the store in special cages with multiple bollards placed into the concrete to protect it from a vehicle collision. As a matter of fact, they have signs placed to not even bring an empty propane container into the store. Summary: You can stack multiple 2 lbs propane containers in the store, you can not bring one single 30 lbs propane container into the same store. Experts in the pyrotechnic, hazardous material, restricted chemical, restricted refrigerant, flammable gas, etc business understand this sort of classification, packaging , shipping and storage etc. they can still market their products to those that have a desire to use them. Those not in the know, think someone cheated or its all BS. Its relative to packaging, storage and most importantly the written instructions and labeling.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6090&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6091&stc=1