PDA

View Full Version : Caring For Pets During Fireworks

FinnAmerican
12-06-2021, 07:55 PM
Question for those Pyros who have small household pets. If you shoot in your driveway or backyard; what do you do to keep them CALM and SAFE...? Do you refrain from shooting extremely loud fireworks...? If you shoot in a rural location are there any farm animals nearby...?

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6080&stc=1

RalphieJ
12-06-2021, 09:51 PM
Dogs can be conditioned to tolerate loud noises, but it's best to start desensitizing them when they are young. For hunting dogs, banging a wooden spoon on a pan when they are feeding as pups will prevent them from being gun shy when in the field. In my experience the association of food with noise seems to work especially well for rabbit hunting beagles. So much so, they would come out of their coops to watch the show, probably hoping for a second dinner that evening, lol. Older dogs who are gun shy or frightened by thunder or fireworks can be trained with a calming voice, petting and hugs, and a smile on your face while the show is progressing. Always follow up with a treat.

Pnut
12-07-2021, 12:01 AM
I think it all depends on how the pet is raised. Not that I have a "loud" household but my cat always watched my shells go up into the sky and enjoyed it. I have noticed that families that like total peace and quiet at home have the mofe neurotic animals. lol

Birdman
12-07-2021, 05:05 PM
My cats could care less about fireworks.

Engineer Cat
12-29-2021, 05:24 PM
My dog who as since passed would shake with fear when she heard fireworks so I refrained from doing it at my house. Also my cats are not fond of them. They run and hide when they hear thunder so they think it's just thunder but they can tolerate it.