PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using this

displayfireworks1
12-05-2021, 05:02 PM
This picture is from one of my Facebook friends out of Louisiana. When I saw the red colored fuse on the racks I ask him was it some sort of quick fuse. He told me it is "Mecha Rapida". Appears to be from the blasting industry. Anyone else out there using this for fireworks displays? I have never seen it around. Appears to burn very fast , but may be good when taped into quick match leaders as pictured.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6078&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6079&stc=1

jamisonlm3
12-05-2021, 05:31 PM
This (http://www.famesa.com.pe/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Fast-Blow-Fuse-technical-sheet.pdf) looks like the datasheet for that stuff. Everything looks really tidy. Did you ask if they wraped quickmatch around it or butted the cut end up to it before taping?

Arclight
12-06-2021, 02:57 AM
Okay, this looks like "Ignitacord" which is a product used for lighting lots of safety-fuses simultaneously in underground mining.

https://www.explosivosdinamex.com/sitio/index.php/producto/ignitacord-type/

You typically crimp the blasting cap on the end with the dynamite, and you crimp an "igniter port" type thing with a slit that accepts this stuff into the other. It burns rapidly and kind of like a sparkler.

A better description:
https://books.google.com/books?id=kxs09VreDdUC&pg=RA9-PA36&lpg=RA9-PA36&dq=ignitacord&source=bl&ots=DlQEI5FzXC&sig=ACfU3U0-vmnAQRFI51jc1G2ITZwUpwsREw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjslPy8y870AhUHIDQIHR09DZoQ6AF6BAgiEAM#v =onepage&q=ignitacord&f=false

BMoore
12-06-2021, 10:37 AM
Interesting. Does this stuff take fire as easily as visco? What other advantages might this have such as flame spit or water resistance? Curious if there is a real pyro advantage here over fast visco or if maybe the current shortage and price of quickmatch/fuse is the motivation.

Arclight
12-06-2021, 01:52 PM
Interesting. Does this stuff take fire as easily as visco? What other advantages might this have such as flame spit or water resistance? Curious if there is a real pyro advantage here over fast visco or if maybe the current shortage and price of quickmatch/fuse is the motivation.

I've never actually used it, but I believe it burns "quickly" but not "nearly instantaneously" like quickmatch. It is designed to be easy to light and to spit a lot of flame. For reference "safety fuse" burns around 40 seconds/foot, makes almost no indication that it is on fire and is difficult to light. You normally either attach a fuse igniter device or cut a slit down the middle, stick the head of a match in and light that.

215less
12-10-2021, 12:25 AM
I’d like to see this stuff in action.

BMoore
12-10-2021, 10:25 AM
Was doing a little research and if you go to Facebook and search Mecha Rapida Para Pirotechnica it appears they are making this stuff in pre-cut straight sections just for the pyro industry similar to what Dave's picture shows. There is also a video. Its all in Spanish which I can't read, but does seem like an intriguing product especially with the fuse shortage and overall unreliability of QM in recent years.

Arclight
12-10-2021, 12:23 PM
I know that they still make a lot of fuse products in Mexico for the mining industry. The last time I bought "cap and fuse" blasting caps, the markings were in Spanish and they came from Dyno Nobel Mexico. Some of the e-match products also come from Mexico too, so they seem to be taking up some of the slack from the China supply issues.

Arclight
05-03-2023, 04:44 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but @displayfireworks1 do you know where they bought this stuff?

Thanks!

John

This picture is from one of my Facebook friends out of Louisiana. When I saw the red colored fuse on the racks I ask him was it some sort of quick fuse. He told me it is "Mecha Rapida". Appears to be from the blasting industry. Anyone else out there using this for fireworks displays? I have never seen it around. Appears to burn very fast , but may be good when taped into quick match leaders as pictured.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6078&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=6079&stc=1

displayfireworks1
05-04-2023, 07:54 AM
All I know is what I found on the internet. It comes out of Mexico a company called Famesa that specializes in products for the blasting industry. You see these sort of products used by shell builders from time to time. There is another similar type product that comes from a South American company I believe was gray in color . I just can't think of the name of it.
I translated the company description of the product you are referencing.
Now in cherry and Lime LOL. I suspect the color variation references the speed, but I do not know.
It is a component of the traditional blast initiation system, made up of a pyrotechnic mass, two wires and an outer plastic cover. The RAPID WICK produces an incandescent flame during its combustion with a sufficient temperature to activate the pyrotechnic mass of the RAPID WICK CONNECTOR, which in turn ensures efficient ignition of the SAFETY WICK

shake the cove
06-17-2023, 12:21 PM
All I know is what I found on the internet. It comes out of Mexico a company called Famesa that specializes in products for the blasting industry. You see these sort of products used by shell builders from time to time. There is another similar type product that comes from a South American company I believe was gray in color . I just can't think of the name of it.
I translated the company description of the product you are referencing.
Now in cherry and Lime LOL. I suspect the color variation references the speed, but I do not know.
It is a component of the traditional blast initiation system, made up of a pyrotechnic mass, two wires and an outer plastic cover. The RAPID WICK produces an incandescent flame during its combustion with a sufficient temperature to activate the pyrotechnic mass of the RAPID WICK CONNECTOR, which in turn ensures efficient ignition of the SAFETY WICK

Pyro Shows out of Lafollette Tn uses it. they use it as a delay fuse instead of the usual quick match in a 10 shell finale chain. It burns at a constant rate unlike the green visco but it is a pain to work with...must use masking tape to cover it or sections can be ignited by sparks.for some reason when I try to upload no box appears to click on to import but shows a box for URL which i do not know how to use....sigh......66566656[/[ATTACH=CONFIG]6657]

shake the cove
06-17-2023, 12:27 PM
Pyro Shows out of Lafollette Tn uses it. they use it as a delay fuse instead of the usual quick match in a 10 shell finale chain. It burns at a constant rate unlike the green visco but it is a pain to work with...must use masking tape to cover it or sections can be ignited by sparks.for some reason when I try to upload no box appears to click on to import but shows a box for URL which i do not know how to use....sigh......66566656[/[ATTACH=CONFIG]6657]

Looks like the pic's went thru I just could not see them.Also see the burn time specs.

shake the cove
06-20-2023, 09:05 AM
Pyro Shows out of Lafollette TN uses them in their shows a lot it burns at a consistent rate unlike green visco, use it instead of e-match ignitor for each shell kind of like chain fusing but you can vary the times, but you must cover with masking tape a stray spark will ignite it when exposed but they may have improved it so that is not the case. Haven't used it for about 4-5 years.6664..I have included a chart for burn times.