PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Fireworks Bill Signed

FinnAmerican
11-07-2021, 11:09 PM
https://www.wfmj.com/story/45130932/dewine-signs-house-bill-172-making-consumer-fireworks-legal

grinnie
11-08-2021, 07:12 PM
From Governor DeWine’s website today:

House Bill 172 Signed
November 08, 2021
(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Ohio Governor Mike DeWine's office today announced that Amended Substitute House Bill 172 has been signed. Governor DeWine issued the following statement on the legislation:

"Amended Substitute House Bill 172 is a better bill than Senate Bill 113, which was the original fireworks bill that I vetoed. Because it was clear to me that the legislature would have overridden my veto, making Senate Bill 113 the law, I worked with the General Assembly to arrive at a compromise that included changes I wanted to see in the legislation.

"For example, the bill I signed (HB 172) limits the discharge of fireworks to the more traditional holidays that Ohioans celebrate, while recognizing our numerous culturally diverse holidays. The compromise bill also reduces, by half, the allowable increase in showroom size originally offered in Senate Bill 113, while requiring enhanced fire sprinkler systems. The measure further prohibits the discharge of fireworks while in possession of, or under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances or on another person’s property without that person’s permission.

"I appreciate the General Assembly addressing concerns I enumerated in the veto of Senate Bill 113 and incorporating most of them into House Bill 172."

displayfireworks1
11-08-2021, 09:53 PM
Dewine is Republican, the Republicans could have overrode his veto of the first bill on this when he vetoed it. However that does not traditionally happen when the same party as the sitting governor is the same affiliation as the majority. House Bill 172 page 20-21 address some of what concerns us as users of fireworks. The part I can't seem to find in the Bill is what happens if you shoot outside of the listed traditional pyro holidays. It looks like the Bill also address' local noise ordinances etc for the local police. This allows them to deal with those few that want to shoot fireworks too late or in a manner that is not socially acceptable. The additional part I don't get is why does it have to wait until 7 months into 2022 to take effect? I suspect this gives time to allow the local Ohio retailers to get into compliance in 6 months to capture all of the sales and of course the State Tax.

joewad
11-09-2021, 10:03 AM
The "dreaded" additional safety tax will soon follow. Gotta fill them coffers.

FinnAmerican
11-22-2021, 06:11 PM
Ohio city Mayor chooses to opt out of Ohio Fireworks law:
https://fox8.com/news/mayor-wants-university-heights-to-opt-out-of-ohios-new-fireworks-law/

jknepp1954
11-22-2021, 06:23 PM
"commercial grade fireworks"? What a dip stick!

fatcat
11-22-2021, 11:37 PM
Gotta agree Joyce, that "commercial grade fireworks" comment stood out like a sore thumb. these guys need to do a little research before putting their mouths in motion.