PDA

View Full Version : MGJ Compound

esgrillo
09-18-2021, 11:57 AM
Anyone know the chemical compound on the tip of an MJG match?

Arclight
09-18-2021, 12:07 PM

Check out the SDS Sheet:

Arclight
09-20-2021, 02:15 PM
From that datasheet, probably BPN:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnic_initiator#BPN

esgrillo
09-20-2021, 11:39 PM
From that datasheet, probably BPN:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnic_initiator#BPN

yup, sounds like a winner

Mattp
09-22-2021, 08:28 AM
im not versed in this stuff at all.. but from looking at the MSDS .. and then the wiki page... i would say its the Titanium/Boron one

Birdman
09-22-2021, 12:29 PM

I'm curious as to why you want to know this?

displayfireworks1
09-22-2021, 07:48 PM
What is funny is if you go to a pyro event and Jeff from MJG has a trade booth set up, you hear many people ask him this sort of thing. When I teach ATF and Pyro classes I explain and sometimes pass out the Initiators. I detail how they behave just like electric match only they are not regulated , storage etc. There is always a few people that ask "Well how did he do it"? Its a natural curiosity I guess. Jeff and his family have been in this wire and "Real" electric match business for some time. The part that impressed me is, he got the ATF to sign off on the Initiators. When you create something that looks and behaves just like an ATF restricted product , you are going to need that ATF approval letter if you want to sell them.

Birdman
09-23-2021, 01:15 PM
There is always a few people that ask "Well how did he do it"? Its a natural curiosity I guess.

I always wondered about that myself but sometimes it's best not to not ask too many questions :cool:

esgrillo
09-23-2021, 01:53 PM
I'm curious as to why you want to know this?

Actually he reason is my daughter is doing a short video of her putting together a small fireworks show from start to finish for a college application. She wanted to have more detail than just using the term "pyrotechnic compound" for the description of how the match works when she describes that part of the process.

Greenville Pyro
09-23-2021, 06:57 PM
Actually he reason is my daughter is doing a short video of her putting together a small fireworks show from start to finish for a college application. She wanted to have more detail than just using the term "pyrotechnic compound" for the description of how the match works when she describes that part of the process.

That's a great and unique idea!

Birdman
09-24-2021, 12:08 AM

Oh cool! Reminds me of when I launched a mouse in a model rocket for a science fair at school. My display demonstrated the different stages of a model rocket engine and the still living mouse. I took 2nd place. Rumor has it that I had the votes for 1st but one judge thought that my project was animal cruelty and that convinced one of the other judges to change their vote. I didn't get into the chemical composition though because I was only in 2nd grade. Hopefully your daughter gets a good grade!

Around that same time I used one of my model rocket igniters to light a pack of firecrackers. Who knew that 40+ years later I would be doing pretty much the same thing with MJG's and a whole lot more fireworks!

Jordan0885
09-24-2021, 03:03 PM
The channel Tech Ingredients on that one video platform has a couple of videos about rocket ignitors. Pretty sure he makes his own in the video. I would think it'd be a pretty similar substance.