View Full Version : New here!

Chrome
09-11-2021, 05:40 PM
Hello all!

My name is Chrome and I'm from the United States. I've always loved firework displays, and especially chemistry, I took AP Chem in high school and loved the activities. It's because of these experiences I wanna learn more about pyro! I live in a state where private use of materials is legal, and I have a lot of free time.

So I must ask, where did you all start? Where did you all learn? Most importantly, what are some safety measures to take when handling this hobby? I want to have fun, but I don't want to ever put myself in danger by digging into consumer fireworks or making my own powders.

Any warm welcomes or advice is helpful :)!

Rick_In_Tampa
09-12-2021, 05:12 AM
Welcome aboard Chrome. I've been using fireworks since I was a kid way back in the 70's. Cut my pyro teeth with firecrackers, bottle rockets, M-80's, and roman candles. Today I do an annual July 4th show with a Cobra firing system and ~ 50 cases of pyro.

Best advice I can give you is to dive into the threads and ask lots of questions. Tell us what you normally shoot and how you shoot it, and maybe we can help you make your shows safer and better.

As for safety, familiarize yourself with NFPA 1123 (the firework bible) and take a PGI safety class or display operator class.

displayfireworks1
09-12-2021, 09:12 AM
Easiest way to start is go buy some Consumer Fireworks and start shooting them. Be sure to have proper clearance , stabilize the products , watch how they behave etc. Elsewhere on pyrotalk I have many videos categorized to watch, also use the search function of the pyrotalk forums to find information.

Birdman
09-12-2021, 10:45 AM
Looks like Dave beat me to many of these while I stepped away to make breakfast:

Welcome to the forums. I've been playing with fireworks since I was about 5 years old. My father use to buy me a brick of lady finger firecrackers every summer from our neighbor that use to sell fireworks illegally out of his basement. I've had Big-Bang (bangsite) Cannons and model rocks since childhood as well. Pyro turned into a true hobby when my state (PA) legalized sales. From there things quickly escalated and now, like Rick_In_Tampa, I'm using a Cobra firing system and scripting shows. Rick and many others are very helpful and always willing to answer questions and share knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask for advice! The members on here have a wide range of experiences and knowledge.

Besides the forums, YouTube has a lot of pyro videos. Dave (displyfireworks1) has over a decade worth of videos and many of them are very informational. But he is not the only one that has informational pyro videos on YouTube. Put the research time in and the only limitations to where you can take this hobby is time and resources.

If you haven't noticed it yet, there is section for discussing fireworks manufacturing and that is probably the best place to go for information about making your own fireworks.

As far as firework safety goes, Rick pointed to two great resources (NFPA 1123 & PGI classes). For the casual "backyard" fireworks person the biggies are bracing, distance and common sense. From there it depends on what level you're taking this hobby to.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-12-2021, 12:15 PM
Rick, Dave, and Birdman pretty well summed it up. Read & watch. Seek out a mentor [if possible].
Myself, I got started back in the early '60's with Model Rocketry and morphed from there. I am a builder, I belong to a couple pyro clubs, have an extensive network of "online pyro friends", have a "54" and shoot professionally for a local fireworks company.
There are a lot of ways to "skin a cat" in the pyro world, but some of them can hurt--or kill--you, so seek out as much knowledge as you can. YouTube has a lot of "not good" videos as well as the helpful ones.
There are many awesome pyros on this site--all willing to share their knowledge and experience, so do not hesitate to ask ANY questions. The only "dumb" question is the one someone is hesitant to ask. Welcome to the "family".

displayfireworks1
09-29-2021, 07:29 PM
It is unfortunate but sometimes we hear from a new forums member that will make a single introductory post and seems to disappear. Hopefully he will read some of the advice or even others that just stop by to read the forums can benefit from the responses. I get a little worried sometime when I hear someone mention "Chemistry" and "Fireworks" on their first post or email to me. Sometimes that sort of thing is someone young or underage in an experimental stage.

Firelinx
10-05-2021, 11:32 AM
Welcome to the PyroTalk community, Chrome! Dave has vast knowledge of information, among others, you've joined a great forum :)