PDA

View Full Version : "ebay" DMX Flame Machine - Fuel Duration & Height Tests

WithReport
08-27-2021, 03:33 PM
I did some tests to see how many bursts of flame I can get out of a full can of fuel from some of these simple ebay DMX flame machines.

I walk through the results, including the table below, at the beginning of this video. If you want you can watch all of it to see some of the scripting and the full recording of the test.

I suspect these results will be applicable to some of the other slightly more expensive flame machines that still use cans of starting fluid.

As with any flame machine, understand how they work first and be safe. I have used these for about 4 years for our backyard shows and parties and for the price, they have been worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClJKKvBQBoA

Okimarine
08-27-2021, 03:58 PM
very informative video. I hope to purchase a good firing system this year and incorperate dmx next year. I still have research to do prior to deciding which system to buy. In addition to the flame machines I thought about some dmx lasers lights as well.

WithReport
08-27-2021, 05:59 PM
very informative video. I hope to purchase a good firing system this year and incorporate dmx next year. I still have research to do prior to deciding which system to buy. In addition to the flame machines I thought about some dmx lasers lights as well.

There are a number of options out there, or ways to trigger a stand alone DMX controller. As for lasers, that can get complicated from a legal/logistic standpoint - I'm sure others will chime in on lasers, but basically if they are powerful enough, you can't have them unterminated flying around in the sky.

I have some PAR lights and moving heads, but so far, I've decided to keep my pyromusicals focused on flames and fireworks.

Okimarine
08-27-2021, 11:03 PM
There are a number of options out there, or ways to trigger a stand alone DMX controller. As for lasers, that can get complicated from a legal/logistic standpoint - I'm sure others will chime in on lasers, but basically if they are powerful enough, you can't have them unterminated flying around in the sky.

I have some PAR lights and moving heads, but so far, I've decided to keep my pyromusicals focused on flames and fireworks.

I have read a bit on dmx but find it pretty confusing to be honest. I'm sure I could pick up on the basics pretty quick if I spend alittle time on youtube or help someone setup a show using it. Fine tuning would of course take time and practice getting used to the equipment and programs required for operation.

When I do purchase a firing system my intent is to get the easiest for programming a pyromusical with dmx.

esgrillo
08-28-2021, 11:19 AM
I have read a bit on dmx but find it pretty confusing to be honest. I'm sure I could pick up on the basics pretty quick if I spend alittle time on youtube or help someone setup a show using it. Fine tuning would of course take time and practice getting used to the equipment and programs required for operation.

When I do purchase a firing system my intent is to get the easiest for programming a pyromusical with dmx.

I use DMX in my show for moving lights & flames. I think the firetek and new cobra systems for DMX are good options for PAR and flame, and similar devices that have only a few channels and are typically on/off. Moving heads is a different story. The code required to move a head in arc and chases sequences is thousands of lines of code and are best handled with built in functions in DMX dedicated software. That is the route I took but it was also before there was a built in cobra option was even available. If that was available when I started with DMX, I may have taken that route as it is a hell of a lot cheaper and simpler.

RalphieJ
08-28-2021, 03:32 PM
Jeez. How far things have come. When I was a kid our entire backyard fireworks show consisted of a coffee-can filled with kerosene-soaked sand, a couple or three sparklers, and a 30-minute railroad fusee.

topshelfpyro
08-28-2021, 05:57 PM

Start looking at the software side of things....Finale 3D is a fantastic piece of software but even the hobbyist version is $350 a year (this was my first year using it and I'm convinced even though I shoot 1 show a year on the 4th). FireTEK, Cobra, Mongoose (and others) all have DMX capabilities in some way. For FireTEK I believe it is 192 channels and a few 1000 lines of code for each module with DMX capabilities. Each module is its own DMX "universe" so you have a pretty good bit of flexibility with the system for DMX as well as alot of flexibility in the system overall. Cobra and mongoose each have their own way of doing things.

Start researching every system that is within your budget and pay special attention to what equipment you need to suit your uses, you could be surprised what you have to buy separately to get "x" functionality in some systems.

Oh, and when you start e-firing just know that you'll spend more $$ than you thought given your new capabilities from your new toys! LOL

WithReport
08-29-2021, 02:24 AM

DMX devices are typically multi-channel devices looking for a "VALUE" of anywhere from 0 to 255 to define how functions should operate and each channel controls a single function. If a device has more functions, it will have more channels. The channels are sequential, but each DMX device has as selector that allows you to set the FIRST channel for each device (Sometimes the selector is DIP switches or sometimes it may be a button with an channel display).

If you get a DMX fixture, I would recommend getting a cheap DMX control board to play around with that has a value display. They were relatively cheap on amazon, but this has increase in price since I bought one: https://www.amazon.com/CO-Z-DMX-Controller-Lighting-Moving/dp/B01N1UI8V7

Here is a video I found very helpful when starting with DMX basics a few years ago: https://youtu.be/dJQAZsNwcv4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJQAZsNwcv4

fireTEK, Cobra, and Mongoose, all do DMX these days. I've helped some people with the new Cobra DMX that just came out. I'm not familiar with Mongoose, but DMX is DMX, you just need to understand the uniqueness with each firing system script format. fireTEK was the first to add integral DMX a number of years ago and that is what I'm most familiar with. fireTEK does do have a "ramping" feature that allows smooth control of moving heads.

If you are interested in just simple single-head flame machines, I wouldn't worry too much about which programming application to use - especially if just getting started. My shows (2020 and 2021 had a lot of flames) were all programed with a very basic application - PyroIgnitionControl. If you are doing lots of items, then maybe finale3D works - you can create custom DMX effects for your library with DMX patches for anything you want.

In the most basic possible approaches, it can all be done in excel.

esgrillo
08-29-2021, 10:12 AM
Good info from With Report... I watched the same video a few years ago lol.

In general, I would suggest getting your feet wet with your firing system without DMX for a couple of shows first. DMX adds a layer of complexity to your set up that can be time consuming and lack of time can be an issue on set up day. Keep in mind you will have to run power to each device and DMX cable to there will be extension cords running all over the place with DMX cable as well. Also DMX devices generally do not like the rain at all so weather proofing on a rainy shoot day is another thing that needs to be accounted for. Keep it simple when you start just do fireworks (IMHO).

Mudballs
08-29-2021, 12:14 PM
There are dmx battery powered operated devices and wireless adapters so you don't need all the power wires or long DMX cables. I have used some of the dmx battery powered lights and they work well. I have no experience with the wireless adapters yet so not sure how good they are.

WithReport
08-30-2021, 12:28 AM
regarding the wireless adapters, I'm sure some of the higher end ones might work, well. However, I no someone here who has used some more standard wireless dongles (~ $250 for a pack of 7 receivers) and had repetitive random misses of DMX events every times running the DMX script for test - and had misses during the actual show too. It is also a bunch of items with internal batteries that have to be pre-charged.

six 25ft DMX cable can be purchased for ~ $80 and a good DMX controller can send signals 1000s of feet on the cable.

Scotty Rockets
09-04-2021, 02:12 PM
With the ridiculously rising costs of fireworks, DMX devices as much as a PITA they are to learn and setup, are the viable way to reduce show costs. Even if you pay for professional devices it’s still a price savings over the long run.