PDA

View Full Version : Set piece

Greenville Pyro
08-18-2021, 03:54 PM
So this year I want to start building set pieces. I've never done one so it should be fun. I am hoping to lean on the expertise of those who have come before me with this. One is a wheel with fountains, that I'm pretty sure I've got. The other one is a larger pole (thinking 4x4 12 feet) braced at the base with triangle 2x4 supports on angles. I want to mount a few 76mm mines on angles at the top to create a directional large mine effect (duplicated on the other side of the site for symmetry of course). My question has to do with how to attach the mines. I've put plenty of mines and comets into holders on the ground. I could break out one of those and try to get it nailed on the top, but I get no angle. If I'm trying to attach them to the sides (zip tie style, maybe drill through the board), there is not bottom support which isn't good. Anyone have any ideas or experience?

Mattp
08-20-2021, 08:53 AM
I feel it would be a little tricky to get zip ties tight enough wrapped around a 4x4… maybe a rectangle piece of plywood screwed on the top/side of 4x4… drill holes in it to fasten the zip ties through … or strips of plywood for each effect

PyroJoeNEPA
08-20-2021, 11:56 AM
A couple thoughts:
1. The mines need to have some support on the bottoms or they might blow the plugs out the bottom. It is relatively easy to build a "trough" with 1"x3" to support them [like a mini rack] and mount them to the poles for your angles you want. Another thing is a piece of peg board wit screwed to a 1"x2". Zip tie the mines/comets to the peg board and fasten that to the pole.
2. I think a 4x4 probably is overkill for what you want to do. I'm sure a 2x4 wil do the job for you.--Brace the bottom with a coulpe additional arms made from 2x4s.
3. Height is your friend with these effects--especially if they are being shot from anything other than "straight up". 12 feet is good, 16 feet is better----and on & on.
4. Keep in mind the pole will be top heavy--so in addition to the outrigger legs, a few lines from the top to stakes in the ground will do a lot for stability.

Arles
08-20-2021, 12:54 PM
How about shelf L brackets bent to whatever angle you want them to shoot at?