PDA

View Full Version : July show

Arles
08-03-2021, 07:58 PM
Here's my show from a few weeks back. I got caught with a severe thunderstorm and rushed placement to get everything tarped so the symmetry of the middle three things is way off and I had to drop some of the 1.4Pro single shots as well due to time limitations. I was amazed that pretty much everything survived under the tarps after two back to back monsoons.

The opening strobes were supposed to be 3 across, but were part of the storm cuts, so just did one that quit after 5 seconds and the roman candles took a few seconds to start shooting, so I definitely had an Ohh-**** moment after getting so much rain. A few racks ran long and I mistimed a few things as well, but everything worked for the most part. I had a few things not ignite for various reasons.

Used Cobra Show Creator, 2 36M, 4 18M, Cobra audio box... 140 cues with around 180 items using Cobra breakout boards with MJG ignitors. I used a wide lens so things on the sides like like they're firing inward even thought they're going up for the most part.

Thanks to everyone for the information and ideas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQnrMT7q4Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQnrMT7q4Y

Okimarine
08-03-2021, 09:21 PM
Great job.. Was this all consumer fireworks?

Fox One
08-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Beautiful! Glad to hear the tarps kept everything dry until shoot time. While many people pack their cakes into plastic bags for protection against the elements, I think I will just stick to using tarps and placing my cakes atop 1 inch thick boards, as it is less time consuming and you can cover big blocks of stuff quickly with tarps. The key is making sure they are solidly secured, putting something in the middle that is tall enough to create a peak so the water runs off and doesn't pool and getting the product itself up off the ground a little. In that regard, pallets might be even better than the 1 inch boards I use.

Arles
08-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Great job.. Was this all consumer fireworks?

Thanks! Yes, all consumer including some Dominator 1.4 pro slices and single shot comets and mines.

Arles
08-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Beautiful! Glad to hear the tarps kept everything dry until shoot time. While many people pack their cakes into plastic bags for protection against the elements, I think I will just stick to using tarps and placing my cakes atop 1 inch thick boards, as it is less time consuming and you can cover big blocks of stuff quickly with tarps. The key is making sure they are solidly secured, putting something in the middle that is tall enough to create a peak so the water runs off and doesn't pool and getting the product itself up off the ground a little. In that regard, pallets might be even better than the 1 inch boards I use.

Thanks! You're absolutely right about having something in the middle to create a tent. I had folding tables that I use as barricades in front of the fireworks turned on the side to cover 4 of the 5 clusters which worked amazingly well. The fifth cluster was in a confined area so I only had a tarp covering it and ended up with deep pools of water in between the racks and tall cakes that I had to shop vac out. Everything was directly on the grass and a little moisture came through the bottom as they sat overnight, but not enough to affect performance as best I can tell. Elevating everything would have definitely been helpful too. I was also thinking about putting some kind of saranwrap on the bottom next time there is a chance of storms.

Greenville Pyro
08-04-2021, 12:40 PM
I absolutely loved the show! I especially love the extended dark right before the finale. I’ve done that before and it is always awesome for the audience. What is that effect at 8:10? It looks like a strobing horse tail with color…

Arles
08-04-2021, 02:29 PM
I absolutely loved the show! I especially love the extended dark right before the finale. I’ve done that before and it is always awesome for the audience. What is that effect at 8:10? It looks like a strobing horse tail with color…

Thank you! Cobra owes you a commission on a 36M. Your show answered a question I was pondering... "Is it possible to have too many slices?" with an unambiguous "F*** no! More is better" answer. I'll add some slats next time to triple it up, I gotta up my cues more after seeing your show.

Effect at 8:10 is 2 Starry Fall cakes by Winda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-6M_6QQG_c

I had intended for just those two cakes going in the very beginning of the song, but a rack ran way long.