PDA

View Full Version : What was your most incredible finale, ever?

Fox One
08-02-2021, 10:59 PM
And more importantly, what did it consist of? I am really wanting to go big for July 4th 2022. The current fireworks prices and availability could make things difficult, but luckily I already have upwards of three quarters of the product I'll need on hand, bought at the old prices before things got so crazy. Otherwise, I'd probably struggle to afford it. And that last 25% isn't going to be a picnic anyway. I have also thankfully been able to acquire enough gray quick fuse for all my finale mortars and cake boards.

Anyway, the early thinking has me gunning for the ability to put about 500 cans in the sky along with about 70 cakes and NOABs (everything from 200 gram on up to the biggest 9 shot racks I can find) in a span of 30 seconds or less. That would likely be 80 to 90% of the cans I plan to shoot during the entire show and about 50% of the entire show's cakes. I want this to be intense and well layered, hence the variety of 200 gram cakes, 500 gram cakes, canister shells and tube racks.

My motivation for this is seeing one of Dave's past videos. I can't remember if this was a shoot he did last year or 5 years ago. But I certainly remember the reaction of the audience. Dave's finale was so intense that for just a split second you could see a glimmer of doubt in even the most hardcore faces. A few looked on the verge on panic, as the barrage was so intense and overpowering. It was like the world was ending and people were trying to decide whether to keep their heads up and watch, or dive underneath a table for protection. LOL. It was total shock and awe. But the audience ended up absolutely loving it once they realized they were going to live, kind of the way a kid ends up loving the more scarier carnival rides after they get up the nerve to give it a try. Upon seeing that video, I thought then and there, "now that is how you do a damn finale!" and has been in the back of my mind ever since. I'd love to go for the same effect, or at least as much as I can do with 1.4G product anyway. I think what I lack in raw power can be made up for somewhat by volume.

I'm curious to hear about any other "epic" finales you folks may have done in the past, along with any comments you may have to offer.

Arles
08-03-2021, 09:25 AM
I thought Greenville Pyro's July 4th finale was pretty great... it actually motivated me to up my cue count.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?8833-July-4th-Show

I think people often just blast a bunch of cans and cakes from the same spot on the ground to the same spot in the sky which I think is a waste of money. I like to create a feeling of depth and immersion rather than just blasting a hole in the sky.

This is another great finale (using 1.3 and 1.4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3Ss59S6tY

ssmith512
08-03-2021, 10:44 AM
If your plan is to send 500 cans and 70 cakes up in 30 seconds, it will be an epic sky puke and smoke show of ginormous proportions. Now dont get me wrong, I know sky puke is considered a sin amongst most pyros, but in reality, the general public audience members love a good sky puke for a finale, and so do I. But you can take to far for sure. If you have that much product for your finale, I would just extend it out to 50sec or 60sec (or longer depending on the duration of your items). Now that would be a pretty cool finale IMO.

To me.....in order to be "EPIC"...it requires a LOT of chest rumbling salutes :D. Impossible to do with 1.4 product for sure.

Here is a finale that is only 28 cakes that is all 1.4 except for the ending barrage of salutes ...... 12ea 9 shots, 12ea 500g cakes, 4ea 500g zippers, and 4ea slices, all spread out over 50 seconds (some of the cakes had modified fusing or multiple MJG to speed them up.)

https://youtu.be/dAvaGJjmmgo?t=1333

Fox One
08-03-2021, 07:25 PM
I managed to squirrel away a case or two of "red cans" about 2 years ago that seem to be quite good in the boom department. I'll have to mix those in with the color effect shells for some added flavor.