PDA

View Full Version : Art Briese ........... July 3, 1961

displayfireworks1
07-26-2021, 03:36 PM
Art Briese on an old TV show July 3, 1961 .
The company Thearle Duffield Fireworks Company Chicago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ2wvtMpeq0
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5921&stc=1
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5922&stc=1

BMoore
07-27-2021, 10:03 AM
I was fooled! When #1 used the terms "Set Piece" and "Gerb" without any hesitation that sealed it for me as I've never heard that term used outside of the pyro industry. I wonder if the actual expert spent time educating the liars and how much time was spent?

Birdman
07-27-2021, 11:00 AM
I was fooled! When #1 used the terms "Set Piece" and "Gerb" without any hesitation that sealed it for me as I've never heard that term used outside of the pyro industry. I wonder if the actual expert spent time educating the liars and how much time was spent?

At first glance, before questions were asked, I had the right guy. But I was fooled when #1 used the terms "Set Piece" and "Gerb" too! I think there was some shenanigans going on.

Engineer Cat
07-27-2021, 09:29 PM
Me too. That pastor must have had some great fireworks for his congregation. LOL

Mattp
07-27-2021, 10:54 PM
Haha.. that’s as pretty cool!!! Yeah that pastor definitely knows more about fireworks than your average guy

wingman
07-29-2021, 02:01 PM
Still can't figure out why on earth he'd have no idea what a cherry bomb was, regardless if he wasn't involved in the consumer trade. They'd been around for at least 3 years at that time, lol!

wingman
07-29-2021, 04:51 PM
*Decades. Dang autocorrect!

displayfireworks1
07-29-2021, 06:12 PM
I think Art Briese was playing dumb. Remember the objective of this game is trick the panelist into thinking you are the real person. But then again at one time I worked with a pyro-technician that was shooting major FireOne pyro-musicals and could not tell you two ingredients of a fireworks product. Maybe old Art was more of the salesperson rather than a actual worker making or presenting the product. I must say that preacher did a great job and did his homework. I enjoy looking at this old pyro stuff in the media and in print.

wingman
07-29-2021, 07:06 PM
I think Art Briese was playing dumb. Remember the objective of this game is trick the panelist into thinking you are the real person. But then again at one time I worked with a pyro-technician that was shooting major FireOne pyro-musicals and could not tell you two ingredients of a fireworks product. Maybe old Art was more of the salesperson rather than a actual worker making or presenting the product. I must say that preacher did a great job and did his homework. I enjoy looking at this old pyro stuff in the media and in print.

I enjoy doing that also! I do wish I could find old footage of fireworks stands whether black and white or color makes no difference to me. I found some old newsreel footage of a store selling fireworks in Germany back in the late 60s, and it was fun watching the people buy or look at the items for sale up close.

Birdman
07-29-2021, 07:09 PM
My guess is Art fed the pastor some terms to use to get "votes" (i.e cash) and played dumb. Either that or the whole thing was loosely scripted. It is TV after all.

BMoore
07-30-2021, 09:29 AM
My guess is Art fed the pastor some terms to use to get "votes" (i.e cash) and played dumb. Either that or the whole thing was loosely scripted. It is TV after all.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some scripting going on. Just because it was the 1960's doesn't mean there wasn't some dishonesty in TV just like today. I actually watched a few episodes of this program last night and there were a couple where the liars seemed to just know way too much, even correctly answering obscure questions that I can't imagine they would think to study in advance. It's also possible that they pull people more closely tied than what they let on. Just because the pastor is a pastor by profession doesn't mean he's not also a fireworks shooter for example. At any rate, it is a fascinating look back at fireworks history. Does anyone know what became of that company? Were they really largest in America at that time?