PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to Pyro Talk WV fella here

Pierson
07-19-2021, 08:53 PM
hi pyro folks..

displayfireworks1
07-19-2021, 10:29 PM
Extensive introduction to date. Lol Can you tell us more about your experience with fireworks

Engineer Cat
07-20-2021, 12:07 AM
LOL, I'm pretty sure I saw a second post asking about contingency storage in the WV area, but it looks like that post is gone now. He must have some experience to tell us about. :D

Pierson
07-20-2021, 06:57 AM
Fireworks became legal in WV around 2015... been lighting up the sky at least once a year since then. Now my back yard show has grown into something my family loves. Looking into obtaining my type 54 and yes I made a post about contingency storage. Stuck with my application till I can figure this out. Looking to do our Oct anniversary show and was hoping to add some 1.3 to it.

displayfireworks1
07-20-2021, 09:45 AM
I message him . For similar questions , is it not so much about contingency as it is about where to purchase 1.3 fireworks . Over the years there have been people trying to manipulate this process . Some are making fireworks type products in a clandestine manner and attempt to make a foolish attempt to use someones contingency to legitimize what they are doing. This is why standard language on these contingency agreements includes it is only for product purchased from them. Some people want free contingency from a regular Consumer Fireworks store etc. All sorts of things go on, I probably know more about it than initially appears to most forums members. In addition , there are distributors out there I am trying to sign on to the forums to help expand their 1.3 business etc. Unless they are living under a rock they know what I do and see other companies on pyrotalk. They are all welcome to be part of it but apparently choose not to. My first obligation is to honor the contracts with my current advertisers , many have been with me for 10 years. The contract gives them exclusive marketing rights on the forums.
Generic questions like , where all can I buy 1.3 fireworks in the Indiana , Florida etc or who has the best fireworks prices in Kentucky is going to encourage a forums member to google search and post links. Also do not rule out there are people on these forums working for fireworks distributors that are not part of my current advertisers. In the past on other now gone pyro forums these folks ran "Group Buys". These "Group Buys" were run by some store employee bringing his boss a bunch a customers.
As far as these NEW ATF applicant questions , I prefer to handle those and request they be sent to me in a PM. The new applicant with questions is also going to need to purchase my ATF/DVD package to have an understanding of the process. Once someone is licensed and wants knowledge about building a magazine and the type of locks etc, That would be great to help share your expertise.

Okimarine
07-20-2021, 12:33 PM
hi pyro folks..

Hello and welcome to the forums. What part of WV are you from? I'm central, near Sutton, Flatwoods.

Pierson
07-20-2021, 02:38 PM
Thanks for clearing that up Dave. Sorry for any confusion, just need someone to point me in the right direction. Will be going the magazine route soon but does seem to be a bit easier if I can do the contingency storage for now and yes will need a somewhat local 1.3 supplier. Okimarine, Im in Charles Town/Harpers Ferry area. I played college golf all over WV and PA. Been to Sutton area Im pretty sure . We played in a Glenville state tournament near there..

Okimarine
07-20-2021, 04:19 PM
Will be going the magazine route soon but does seem to be a bit easier if I can do the contingency storage for now and yes will need a somewhat local 1.3 supplier.

Contingency storage would be easier if you had a supplier nearby but I had none. I really had no choice but to have my own magazine. Looking back, I'm glad that was the case. I can add / remove product at any time and don't have to worry about driving an hour or more and possibly being an inconvenience to whomever provided the contingency storage.

I see in your previous post that you want to incorporate some 1.3 product in your show scheduled in Oct. That is the same reason I wanted my type 54 license and used the 1.3 in a show I did on the 9th at a Youth Camp my Church hosts every year. It was a big hit with the kids and adults that came with them.

My advise to you is to plan on using the 1.3 for your show next year. Start your application now to get your type 54 license. If you submitted today, you could possibly be approved by the ATF by October but still have to meet the State Fire Marshals requirements before you can legally possess or use 1.3 fireworks in WV.

https://firemarshal.wv.gov/Divisions/Fire%20Services/Pages/Public-Display-Fireworks-and-Pyrotechnicians.aspx

From memory, after you receive your type 54 license you have to:
1. Submit an application to the State for a Pyrotechnics License (outdoor).
2. Pass a test based off the NFPA 1123. (testing locations and dates listed on the application).
3. Apply for a permit for your magazine if you decide to build / obtain your own. (Business license and 1 million liability insurance required).
4. Submit an application to set them off. Local Fire Chief signature required on application and detailed aerial maps. (1 million liability insurance required).

It can seem overwhelming and time consuming but I personally think the effort was worth it. The local fire dept. came to my first 1.3 show and wants me to do a fall show for them. A paid show or two a year will offset the costs paid to the State each year to be a legal Pyrotechnician.

Hope this helps and doesn't discourage you.

Pierson
07-20-2021, 05:51 PM
I greatly appreciate your input. I have reached out to a few for storage and had not heard back so I have already purchased some ridgid job boxes to get atleast one set up . Based on I was getting any response on the storage. I have researched the App for the state. I almost did that first before the type 54. My application is filled out and the finger printing is done. Just waiting on this last part.. will be trying to get it in ASAP. :cool: Thanks again!

jknepp1954
07-20-2021, 08:23 PM
hi pyro folks..

Welcome - I occasionally go thru parts of WV on other travel excursions. Berkley Springs is a cool town - was there once when the apple festival early Oct.
Was more recently in Martinsburg. Hoping to get to Wheeling to the jamboree....
Keep trying for your type 54 - but don't forget about us 1.4 guys/gals!

Pierson
07-20-2021, 09:13 PM
Hey there- thank you. Oh yea your traveling real close to me. I will always use the 1.4 because my wife still likes candy store shopping like I do..;)