View Full Version : Growler 5 inch cans

Fox One
07-16-2021, 11:25 PM
I've not tried these yet but have watched lots of video reviews on the tube of you's and these seem to be really nice shells, equal to or better than pretty much any of the other commonly available shells out there today. While I usually like to use the most affordable cans I can find in bulk (usually Brothers Quest or Megabanger Exterminators) for sky puke finales, I don't mind spending a little more to get bigger booms, wider breaks and more vivid effects for use during the slower portions of my shows where you can actually appreciate the slight difference a higher end shell may offer. For this purpose, is the Growler 5 inch can about as good as it gets? I hear lots of hoopla about Death Shells or other various brands, but these are never available from the places where I buy fireworks.

jamisonlm3
07-17-2021, 02:35 PM
The growlers aren't anything special. They're as as good as all the other normal shells on the market like Quest and Exterminators.

Chiefsfan00
07-17-2021, 04:03 PM
I have used them since they came out and have enjoyed them.

caleb90
07-17-2021, 08:19 PM
while im sure they are good. i doubt they are better than any good 4in can. 60 grams is 60 grams.

PyroFL
07-18-2021, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you do the same thing as I do and same thing am trying to do.

I’ve tested this over the past few years and here is what I’ve found;

1yr (96 mortars) All the same cans (Growler)
Nice, hit hard, effects the same in one area

2yr (180 mortars) Scaled all cans and then stepped up by weight for final (Growler-Smokin Hot-barely legal)
This was cool, not the effect we thought we would get. As the fuse got faster the hits got harder and harder. We didn’t do that his year but I would do again

3yr (505 mortars) This year with seeing complaints about Growlers not going that high we switched away but still did our last testing. This year we mix it up by weight, fuse speed and effects with 3 brands.

This was almost almost perfect what we were looking for beside the fuse timing. The effect was amazing, we started with the lighter ones but put in a few heavy and big brakes from time time to break it up. In the middle is was mostly heavy and big breaks with some fill of the smaller ones and by the end it was whatever we still had in the box. We’re 100% doing that again, all but my fuse speed idea that didn’t work.

So in short, I would get growler there cheap and fill the air but if you can get the other brands cheaper I would do that plus 2 other cans to mix it up and to add effects you can see braking out of the final.

60% cheap
20-30% mid-level (effect like willow/crackle)
20-10% hard hitting (not death shells save your money)

Engineer Cat
07-18-2021, 01:41 PM
They are pretty nice shells. I still have a few left for the next shoot. I had growlers and Excals in my racks this year that I had left over from last year. Those are the ones I like to throw up in the air when people in the neighborhood shoot off some 200g cakes. I usually reply with 1 or 2 growlers because they are loud, colorful and have big breaks. I don't know if there is really a huge difference between them and excals and others.

According to my spreadsheet from last year I got them for $64 with a discount code from the retail shop I go to. The price without the discount was $89. This year they were selling them for $100. Individually, not per case, so those places selling BOGO for $499 are out of their mind. Extreme price gouging going on there.

The only thing I don't like about them is that they are 5 inch cans for no reason. There's a least 1 inch or slightly more of empty space if you pop off the plastic top.

caleb90
07-19-2021, 08:54 AM
when we were setting up our show my naibor brought down some loose canister shells he had laying around. no name on them just has a brown wrap. they were about 3in long but tapered down at the lift charge like a ball shell. they were ever bit as good as the excalls and lock n loads we were shooting

Fox One
07-19-2021, 07:45 PM
when we were setting up our show my naibor brought down some loose canister shells he had laying around. no name on them just has a brown wrap. they were about 3in long but tapered down at the lift charge like a ball shell. they were ever bit as good as the excalls and lock n loads we were shooting

I remember having some shells made like that a number of years back. I believe they were called Warlord and sold under the Fisherman label. I really didn't expect them to be as nice as they were, but I sent a bunch of them up alongside some 4" Predator cans (Great Grizzly) and they seemed to have just as much juice as the Predators did.